The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - 2018 Canucks' Young Stars Tournament

xereau

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

just like what Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre, Torres brought....the whole team played that way....that's why everyone hated us....I want to be hated again!

Virtanen, MacEwen, Gadjovich and Woo have potential to bring that back.

I still remember the first time I checked out Gaudette's hi-light reel 3 years ago on youtube following his sophomore year. Someone posted that he looked like Ovi.

Then I heard all kinds of reports that he also likes to play with some snarl and really enjoys being physical and hard on pucks. I've been stoked on this young man ever since. Can't say enough about how shred that pick was. Holy hell has JB and his crew picked some beauties. Virtanen and Gaudette get "A"s on their jerseys someday. The tidal wave is setting up far out at sea and on its way to shore.

Was at the game tonight. 

My take aways were.

Pettersson: as advertised, has a real laser beam. He plays some real heads-up hockey moves the puck super well and backchecks well with a quick stick. Don't see much hustle from him though without the puck he just sorta cruises around. He gave the odd crosscheck in puck battles but overall isn't strong on the wall also had a guy perfectly lined up to throw a monster hit pulled the chute and went for the puck instead the player he had lined up then turned around and crushed him into the boards and took the puck. 

Dahlen: First star for me. He was everywhere leading rushes and hurrying hard on the backcheck he was all over the ice every shift. He was always getting open to take a pass he wasn't standing around waiting for the backdoor pass and he kept the pace up all game. Looked stellar on the forecheck reminded me of Jannik Hansen with better finishing. Though I don't believe he scores that 5 hole goal in the NHL shot was very weak. Not to say he has a weak shot just that particular goal was like a Bantam pass through the 5hole. 

Palmu: Though I'm super hyped on this kid wan't nothing more than to see him succeed he does all the right things out there works very hard forechecks very well had a couple great takeaways that looked dangerous he was buzzing around the ice I still just can't see him sticking in the NHL he's so short he's quick but not lightning quick and is more of a nuisance out there than a threat. Just one game. Loved his character you could see that he is a great team mate and a leader. 

Jasek: Total floater flybye queen he was literally just a warm body on the ice looked like he was at a Sunday free skate.

Juolevi: Played a completely un eventful game. He was always in position and just made the smart plays super calm looked like Chris Tanev zero flash but just solid. Kinda guy you want out there when you are protecting a 1 goal lead. 

Dadjovich: Not as large a man as I thought. But his hands are like bricks I think the whole building felt that punch. Skates better than I thought. Money along the wall and net front and has great hand eye. 

Lind: Meh looks like he needs some time in the A he's got good tools played well picked a couple guys pockets but didn't really blow me away with any one thing that is gonna get him over the hump. 

Gaudette: Just a solid 200ft player quintessential 3rd liner plays well enough in all areas of the ice to be comfortable putting him out in any situation.

On the Jets side of things.

Logan Stanley: is a puppy a giant st bernard puppy. In a game with 3 fights he never once looked mad. Guys would hit him and bounce off but he never once touched anyone with bad intentions. Seems like a really nice fella.

Vessalinen: Joined Jasek out there on a free skate except he actually wanted the puck so baaaad he was calling for it all night except he never did anything productive out there he would stand in open ice waving his stick around frantically sometimes they would pass him the puck and it just died on his stick because his feet weren't moving  occasionally he waved his stick at Canucks players blowing by him on the rush. I have no Idea where the Hype is coming from on this kid I saw nothing to indicate that he can play in any part of the rink.

Harkins: Best Jet by a mile the motor of that team

Spacek: Will probably make the NHL in some capacity he never took a shift off always looked dangerous.

57 minutes ago, hammertime said:

On the Jets side of things.

Logan Stanley: is a puppy a giant st bernard puppy. In a game with 3 fights he never once looked mad. Guys would hit him and bounce off but he never once touched anyone with bad intentions. Seems like a really nice fella.

:lol:

@Monty is a Jets fan, and doesn't think too highly of Stanley either.

Was a great game for Gaudette, he hustled but may be a little lite (170 lbs) to bring that style to the NHL, But he is going to be a star Elias coasted all night, But man can he skate when he wants, he turned on the sfter burners to negate a 2 on 1. He (to me) played not to get hurt, Its like he knows he will make the team, He clearly is the most talented prospect the Canucks have ever had, man can he pass. This was at times tough hockey to watch. For example AHL players quite often avoided passing to OJ and  Elias especially on break outs, It in my mind was job security for them. OJ looks ready. My bet is 3 rookies make opening night EP Dahlen and OJ I know we have a log jam but Dahlen is ready and he is a work horse, can't see them not moving some bodies, Just wait until the bigger games you will see Elias have more space because better players will hit Elias in the neutral zone. Something everyone avoided all night. 

Typical Canucks D. Lacked leadership, puck movers and physicality.

OJ needs to develop some "kick-ass" into his game or he is going to struggle imo.

Brisebois looked better over the two games for me. I also like Chatfield but fear he is going to be an MDZ type of player  - too many avoidable bad choices ruin his good work.

Gadjovich and MacEwen looked like another season in Utica might see them as bottom 6 possibilities.

Palmu was invisible and will need to hone his game in Utica, I liked what MacMaster showed more and think he will trend up this year.

Looks like Utica have found a good back up goalie for Demko.

I liked Jasek's effort over the 2 games but he needs to be more ruthless in front of goal.

I'm sure I will upset a few people but I think EP has lost the "middle part" of his game due to the smaller ice surface and I think it is unfair to him at his stage to make/let him find it in the NHL. I really think he should start in Utica. I would also start Lind in Utica based on these performances.

He may be a big-time player who will thrive in the NHL but does he really look like Boeser? By that I mean Boeser's big asset was also sniping but he could battle for and hold onto the puck, I saw no evidence of that yet with EP.

The players who I thought deserved a chance sooner in the NHL were Gaudette, Dahlen, Ratelle and D'Aoust (have we let this kid go?)

On the whole I really think this game was what was needed to sober CDC up a bit. Yes we have some great prospects but realistically ALL should probably start in Utica imo.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Typical Canucks D. Lacked leadership, puck movers and physicality.

OJ needs to develop some "kick-ass" into his game or he is going to struggle imo.

Brisebois looked better over the two games for me. I also like Chatfield but fear he is going to be an MDZ type of player  - too many avoidable bad choices ruin his good work.

Gadjovich and MacEwen looked like another season in Utica might see them as bottom 6 possibilities.

Palmu was invisible and will need to hone his game in Utica, I liked what MacMaster showed more and think he will trend up this year.

Looks like Utica have found a good back up goalie for Demko.

I liked Jasek's effort over the 2 games but he needs to be more ruthless in front of goal.

I'm sure I will upset a few people but I think EP has lost the "middle part" of his game due to the smaller ice surface and I think it is unfair to him at his stage to make/let him find it in the NHL. I really think he should start in Utica. I would also start Lind in Utica based on these performances.

He may be a big-time player who will thrive in the NHL but does he really look like Boeser? By that I mean Boeser's big asset was also sniping but he could battle for and hold onto the puck, I saw no evidence of that yet with EP.

The players who I thought deserved a chance sooner in the NHL were Gaudette, Dahlen, Ratelle and D'Aoust (have we let this kid go?)

On the whole I really think this game was what was needed to sober CDC up a bit. Yes we have some great prospects but realistically ALL should probably start in Utica imo.

Maybe not quite as disappointed as you, but.... I think a lot of the young players needs more before entering the NHL.

In saying that, I don't think they are far off, and this being the first competitive matches of the season + for some an introduction to NA sized rinks, I am fairly confident a few of them will win NHL spots either from the start this year or during the season. 

Do agree that maybe CDC needed a slight wake up call before they show everybody over 25 the door...

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Well, it's not like Winnipeg is going to hit on ALL their 1st rounders. A miss here won't be too worrisome.

Well and really, if an 18th overall defenseman can turn into a reliable bottom pairing defenseman, then that’s a great pick.

If a 6th overall forward turns into a 20-30 poain’t 3rd liner, that’s not a great pick.

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

Gud, Schaller, Roussell....might have to carry 5 lines or bench LE, Gagner and Granlund.

all 3 of your '5th line' have something in common: they all seem more productive & acceptable when put with better talent - complimentary at best..

not much love for gagner or loui here on the boards, for good reason. but they're nhl quality - albeit uninspiring -  transitional players, & they aren't likely part of the future anyways.

however I don't mind granny.. he can play up & down the lines in a pinch, and is decent defensively.. at this point I feel like he's sort of a loui 2.0 at a fraction of the cost..  in the long run he might not be needed, but he's still young and not hurting anything just yet - other than taking a spot..

nice to know we'll have good replacements when the time comes tho..

Too bad I was at the game that had no fights, I always like seeing that in a game. Hopefully we will be a hard team to play against and will stand up for eachother going forward not caving like we have the last X amount of years.

Not surprised at all we won both games, we have a better prospect pool than the Jets who havent already made the leap to the NHL. Here is to hoping we can have some gems in the NHL soon like the lets have with Ehlers, Laine, Scheiffele, Morrissey, Trouba etc.

Should be a very competitive main camp, we are going to have to waive a couple guys near the end of camp, depending on who they are we could lose a player. I just have a gut feeling Goldobin isnt going to have a good camp and he will be waived and claimed by another team. He has great skill, just his compete level needs to improve. Gaunce is in tough but he should clear waivers. Leipsic better have a good camp if he wants to make the big club or he could be another guy who could get claimed

Archived