The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - 2018 Canucks' Young Stars Tournament

xereau

Of the 2 games the MVP should be Gaudette. He worked his butt off pushing his 200' game. 

He really is ready from these 2 games, and fully expect him to carry it in the preseason. JB will be hard pressed not to keep him in the line up.

Pettersson will be there barring injury of course. He didn't have a great game today but will make it on his talent alone. Its good to see them put him in as many D situations as possible. This is where he needs to shore up parts of his game. Manny also needs to be tied to his hip doing 100 faceoffs a day, if they hope to see him start at center.

Dahlen also deserves a serious look but he'll probable start in the A and be first call up if hockeygaud makes it. Great speed, hard working and talented winger that actually drives to the net. watch out Goldy!

Juolevi starts in Utica, as he really tailed off at the end of the game, showing he's not physically ready to go. Everything about his progress is slow and steady, but he seems to consistently improve once he gets settled. He will be a top 4 guy or better for sure. Way too smart and smooth not to be. Some of his outlet and Ozone passes were absolute top 2-4 D man worthy...smooth operator.....  

MacEwen looks way better than expected, and I hope he nails down a 4th line center job maybe end of this year or next year. 

Cole Lind was better today and was one of our top 3 guys IMO. Love his grit around the net, sticking up for his mates and really showed his ability to create turnovers. Too bad he didn't score here, but expect the goals to come preseason. Kind of reminds me of Burrows with a little more O upside. Perfect guy to play the gritty 3rd wheel with a couple talented Swedes,,, hmm... deju vous?

Dipietro was great game 1 and really look forward to seeing him for Canada!

Honorable mention goes to Chatfield, Gadj, Macmaster, 

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

Are you really comparing the Canucks to a team that just went to the finals? 

You say I don't understand the game. 

Sutter is an ok player and could be a good piece for a cup contender.  Sutter is a pricey version of Bonnio. He has by no means turned into the "foundational" player that Benning said he was. Make room for the kids and turn him into assets. 

Take it to the Sutter thread.

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Pettersson, Dahlen and Guadette are ready every one else needs work. 

Yup...and they should have put Gaudette between Dahlen and Pettersson...or at least gave it a try...this could actually be a decent Canuck line this year.

44 minutes ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

Olli might not be ready yet, which is fine. He'll get his chance in the near future. Can't wait to roll my eyes at the articles or posts about how he's a bust...

Olli is definitely ready for the NHL.  He and Brisbois both impressed.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Olli is definitely ready for the NHL.  He and Brisbois both impressed.  

agreed...it's time to let OJ develop in the league he was drafted to play in...he is ready and he will get into game shape during the preseason.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

agreed...it's time to let OJ develop in the league he was drafted to play in...he is ready and he will get into game shape during the preseason.

Do we currently have another D man who can make the no-look pass Olli made to set up Elias for that PP goal today?  That was all elite skill.  

3 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

Anyone watch Dahlen and Lind mic'd up. Lind's confidence is awesome. Huge stacks for these young guys and man he's relaxed. Elias seems very serious, which isn't a bad thing, but Lind and Dahlen seem full of personality! Love it!!!

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/young-stars--dahlen-lind-micd/t-277437438/c-60943103

I think it's a language thing with EP...he is not as fluent in English as Dahlen....got a feeling Dahlen was helping EP get confident with his language and translations...it will take time to get comfortable and confident.

Just now, Alflives said:

Do we currently have another D man who can make the no-look pass Olli made to set up Elias for that PP goal today?  That was all elite skill.  

Olli was good...trust me a defenseman being invisible is a good thing....it means that he didn't make any mistakes (even though he did...lol, let his man get position for the goal against)...he just has to play tougher, nastier, and own the danger zone (that is his house, and no one enters it freely)....got to be nasty (old school nasty).

Just now, Pete M said:

Olli was good...trust me a defenseman being invisible is a good thing....it means that he didn't make any mistakes (even though he did...lol, let his man get position for the goal against)...he just has to play tougher, nastier, and own the danger zone (that is his house, and no one enters it freely)....got to be nasty (old school nasty).

If Olli added nasty, like a Chris Pronger level of nasty, we would have a fabulous player.  Adding old time nasty to size and elite talent equals superstar.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If Olli added nasty, like a Chris Pronger level of nasty, we would have a fabulous player.  Adding old time nasty to size and elite talent equals superstar.  

that's the nasty I'm talking about!

but the whole team needs to backup that nasty....can't leave your mate hanging alone...it's got to be a pack mentality nasty.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Woo can help him out with that.

1 hour ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

Olli might not be ready yet, which is fine. He'll get his chance in the near future. Can't wait to roll my eyes at the articles or posts about how he's a bust...

having him in the A for a year playing all situations would be good for him. I dont think anyone is calling a bust at the moment. He developed last year and this year will be another one for him.  One good year in the A should get him really close.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EP spanked that puck from about 30 feet from me ::D  I just went "Whoaaaaaatttt???"

EP was also playing a system, you could see it.  3rd man back, at least trying to be.  He gets it and is going to stack up points this year.

Archived