The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Also, about 20-30 min. ago, the Senate voted 51-49 for cloture on the floor.  He is as good as confirmed now.

yup, unless Avenatti has a VHS tape of something its probably in the bag. 

Its really a shame what Trump has been able to do with this, he gets his man in and sets back women's rights all in one week. He must be thrilled. 

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I think there's a decent chance that Manchin will vote yes. Polls in WV show the majority of the population supports Kavanagh and Manchin is up for re-election, so I think me might defect. However, unlike certain CDC posters, I'm not declaring it a fait accompli and I'm certainly not making the ridiculous claim that somehow Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein are somehow responsible, if Manchin chooses to vote with the wishes of his constituents, rather than along party lines.

The guy has really disappointed me is Jeff Flake. I thought he might have been honestly moved by the protests against Kavanagh, but the fact that he's satisfied with this sham of an investigation tells me he was just going through the motions to give the impression that he actually cares about whether BK is fit for the Supreme Court. 

It's sort of stunning to me that Jeff Flake could recognize that this was dividing the country. But unlike Lisa Murkowski he can't seem to put the country first. He can't seem to recognize that this has transcended a mere confirmation hearing. This means something more to women and survivors of sexual violence. 

I don't know if it's cowardice, idiocy or his sycophantic alliegence to the GOP. 

Edited by OneSeventeen

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

LOL some red state Dems going to vote yes. Like I said, towing the Republican party line. Dems need to fold; a totally useless party, especially with Schumer and Feinstein at the helm. Those dinosaurs are so far out to lunch it is unreal.

Only 1 democrat voted "yes" on the cloture vote so unless he gets a hellacious backlash for it (doubtful), he'll be the only one voting to confirm Kavanaugh. That vote was countered by the 1 Republican who voted "no".

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Only if he decides to nearly depopulate the planet with nukes.  He's too selfish and needs constant attention and love from random people though to do that so I'm not worried.

I hope so, SabreFan1. I like this world, and your country very much. My mom was born in Minnesota and grew up in Seattle, so I have a soft spot for at least the northern portion of the country, and California.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup, unless Avenatti has a VHS tape of something its probably in the bag. 

Its really a shame what Trump has been able to do with this, he gets his man in and sets back women's rights all in one week. He must be thrilled. 

The person believed to be Kavanaugh's backup was just as, if not more, conservative than Kavanaugh is.

54 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

AFAIK, it was a vote on whether to end the debate and move the actual vote forward. Any speculation about how certain undecided Senators will vote on confirmation is just that, speculation.

Cloture votes of this magnitude are nearly always mirrors of the upcoming vote.  Unless 1 or 2 "yes" senators has an attack of conscience and/or asks for a real investigation or 1 or 2 "yes" senator's constituents rise up and get them to change their upcoming vote, Kavanaugh is all but confirmed.

Either scenario could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

16 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Cloture votes of this magnitude are nearly always mirrors of the upcoming vote.  Unless 1 or 2 "yes" senators has an attack of conscience and/or asks for a real investigation or 1 or 2 "yes" senator's constituents rise up and get them to change their upcoming vote, Kavanaugh is all but confirmed.

Either scenario could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

i agree

but since the next vote is on a different issue

there is still a chance

voting to move it to a confirmation vote

means that a decision can be made in the minds of those who voted that way

that does not necessarily mean they will vote yes, , just that they are prepared to vote

but overall these viewpoint does seem a bit naive

but since the vote is so close it will only take 1 to flip ?

On 9/28/2018 at 2:14 PM, smithers joe said:

both the judge and the doctor, swore that they spoke the truth. only one of them can be. if the judge isn't speaking the truth, that should be resolved. if the doctor is lying, she should be punished for speaking lies about the judge. the other witnesses should have to be under oath while giving their testimonies. if the truth isn't determined then this as all just a sham.

This is the sanest and most relevant post.   SJoe, you are a wise dude.

9 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

I feel sad for America. 

Let's take note fellow Canadians. 

I don't. They knew what they were doing when they voted that clown into the oval office. They have only themselves to blame.

Ignorance is excusable, but willful ignorance is not.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i agree

but since the next vote is on a different issue

there is still a chance

voting to move it to a confirmation vote

means that a decision can be made in the minds of those who voted that way

that does not necessarily mean they will vote yes, , just that they are prepared to vote

but overall these viewpoint does seem a bit naive

but since the vote is so close it will only take 1 to flip ?

They need 2 flips.  The Vice President casts the deciding vote in any Senate tie.