The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2018-19 [PM Nail if interested]

Nail

^good choice sir. I will say Manitobans are very friendly and eager to display their appreciation for the help given. Second best 'cf appreciation' ever. You all bought a lot of beer and Timmies for us. Kingston though, after the Ice Storm, while checking door to door through the Queens University slum offered hard liquor, beer, poutine at one house...shooters after 3 inches of ice was smashed off the driveway of another place and my all-time fav trend on day two of door knocking: a lot of university gals were still in their lingerie upwards of 10 am and even one after lunch...and eager to answer the door to would-be rescuers in uniform. Ahhh the good old days of disasters, so much boob, so little time...

now the only boobs I see when disaster is in the news is Trump and his cabinet...and that Andy Scheer conman here on our side of what should be a wall.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Monty said:

I’m ready for the Raptors game

F6ACD11A-9D7D-4579-98C4-AC9E29B40B53.jpeg

You better have been wearing jean shorts and a pair of white New Balance shoes while running the grill like a true Dad.

Edited by JimLahey
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Monty said:

I’m ready for the Raptors game

F6ACD11A-9D7D-4579-98C4-AC9E29B40B53.jpeg

Dude, leave the husks on the corn but pull the loose hairs out. It steams in its own skin. Then blanche once over the burner after you peel it. 

Then use coconut oil instead of butter. No pepper, no salt. 

You can thank me later.

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JimLahey said:

You better have been wearing jean shorts and a pair of white New Balance shoes while running the grill like a true Dad.

34 degree weather and I was wearing jeans. And barefoot :lol: 

• Cheers 1

Just now, theminister said:

Dude, leave the husks on the corn but pull the loose hairs out. It steams in its own skin. Then blanche once over the burner.

Then use coconut oil instead of butter. No pepper, no salt. 

You can thank me later.

Was discussing this in the food thread. Until this week, I’ve always left the husks on, but for this recipe, I took them off.

Made Mexican Street Corn (pic below). Calls to wrap in seran wrap and put in microwave for 5 minutes, then char on grill afterwards. The recipe itself once on the grill, brush on garlic butter mixture. Then afterwards, brush on Mexican Crema, sprinkle on Cojito Cheese, smoked paprika, and cilantro.

4CE5693F-D62F-4D69-B9B7-88E17E8A0E70.jpeg

If I’m having regular corn, then yeah, I keep the husks on when I cook them on the BBQ.

• Upvote 1

St. Louis Blues Draft Recap

#6 Cole Caufield

#17 Victor Soderstrom

#35 Jakob Pelletier

#54 Vladislav Firstov

#56 Alex Beaucauge

#57 Isaiah Saville

#73 Daniil Misyul

#87 Harrison Blaisdell

#123 Layton Ahac

Some real excitement around Caufield who just keeps moving up lists,  some gambles in Firstov and Saville and some late steals with Ahac and Blaisdell. 

On the whole excited about this group with 8 picks already next year. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

We have a trade to announce...

To STL: Josef Korenar

To CAR: 154th

@Nail

Thanks to MM for processing, and to @inane for the quick negotiations. 

Korenar is a solid, young goalie prospect at 21 years old. Goalies have proven time and again that you don’t need to be drafted in order to have an NHL career, and   the Sharks IRL really like his skill set and composure. But, as stated numerous times, my future in net seems to be as close to set as possible with Carter Hart and Ukko-Pekka. Depending on how my team looks halfway through the season or at the draft next year, Ukko-Pekka could be made available again.

As it is, current outlook in net is:

Carter Hart

Casey DeSmith

Ivan Nalimov

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

Karel Vejmelka

At this point, not looking to move anymore of my goalies. Nalimov looks to be crossing the pond and could get an injury callup for the Hawks. But with Korenar gone, I’ll now need a replacement backup. 

Vejmelka remains a question mark. Followed him as close as I could, and have been high on him. Appears as though the Preds aren’t going to be tendering him an ELC and he’ll become a free agent. Disappointed that I may have whiffed on that one.

Mini state of union / draft recap for your Minnesota Wild image.png.b7d90fc83596013ce583bfeeb8f0b649.png(I know we're all secret fans, right?)

On the back of missing the play off's, we were more fundamental at the deadline onwards this year.  And maybe a second straight play off was not in the cards anyway? We iced as many as 6 rookie forwards, two rookie D and at one moment had ten rookies in the line up.  All too new? A key hole, was also filled by Mackenzie Blackwood 2G.

So investing one of our rookies (Kapanen) & futures for Thomas Chabot seemed something we could afford. It sets us with this as our starting five / core;

Matthew Tkachuk - Elias Pettersson - Brayden Schenn

Darnell Nurse - Thomas Chabot 

John Gibson - Mackenzie Blackwood

We have only 3 forwards, 2 D over 25. 4 rookie forwards still remaining in our line up, its also obvious Chabot, Petettersson & Gibson, while good to spectacular, are two to three years from play off magic. Our future is still ahead of us! Our prospect pool was / is still deep, maybe lacking in top end talent? Kale Clague the top guy. With a good draft we can now grow organically, let those forwards, Chabot get even better?

We went forward heavy, and picked a goalie BPA. Vasili Podkolzin at 14 was a coup, regarded as the 3rd best forward in the draft. They say he is two years away. Which fits our time line anyway. Him & Brayden Tracey both bring fantasy upside to our forward prospects.  As does Alexander Daryin. Who scored more per game in the MHL than Podkolzin.  Our draft was rounded out by 3rd round pick , already signed by Philly, Goalie Kiril Ustimenko, and 5th round very fundamentally sound 2 way C Hennri Nikkanen. Who has already made his debut in Finlands top pro circuit.  4 forwards and a goalie, with our pre-draft prospect strength being D prospects (Kale Clague, Wash 2knd rounder Martin Ferhervary, AHL rookie D top goal scorer Dylan Coghlan, and Jet prospect NCAA champ Dylan Samberg, top Czech D prospect Jakub Galvas). We feel we have upside, depth, guys pressing at every position in our pool.

We'll clear some cap; to make room for Chabot & Nurse next off season.  Make the play off regardless on the back of so many youth.  With a large pool of near NHL ready prospects looming. And look to be a powerhouse with this above core from 2020 / 21 onwards.  The end of the long game strategy!  

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 1