The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thinking back on Karlsson to Vancouver

Dr.BRR

Just not sure on EK. Rumblings out of Ottawa on some players glad him and his supposed "me" attitude are gone. He has not played well this year. I wouldn't go more than six years at 8 or 9 per. Problem is other teams will offer more I'm sure.  

59 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If he does make it to UFA, we'd be silly not to make an offer. He's one of the best in the league, at the weakest position in the organization (RD). And we have more than enough cap space.

If Pettersson becomes the player we all expect him to become, in two years he'll be looking to re-sign for McDavid and Matthews money. Boeser will command nearly as much if he turns out to be a consistent 40+ goal scorer, and there's every reason to expect him to. So if you throw 10 million and seven years at a 29 year old guy who has already peaked, where do you find the money for guys like Hughes, Horvat, Juolevi, Rathbone, or other potential stars they draft in the next two or three drafts? 

You need to to look forward, young grasshopper, and embrace what can be rather than what was. Karlsson may well have another couple of years as a top level performer, but what if is best is behind him? Do you throw 10 million at a resumé or do you use it for futures? Did you learn nothing from the Eriksson debacle?

42 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

If Pettersson becomes the player we all expect him to become, in two years he'll be looking to re-sign for McDavid and Matthews money. Boeser will command nearly as much if he turns out to be a consistent 40+ goal scorer, and there's every reason to expect him to. So if you throw 10 million and seven years at a 29 year old guy who has already peaked, where do you find the money for guys like Hughes, Horvat, Juolevi, Rathbone, or other potential stars they draft in the next two or three drafts? 

You need to to look forward, young grasshopper, and embrace what can be rather than what was. Karlsson may well have another couple of years as a top level performer, but what if is best is behind him? Do you throw 10 million at a resumé or do you use it for futures? Did you learn nothing from the Eriksson debacle?

Eriksson (and others like him) was never an elite, franchise player. He was a complimentary player who had an edge from his strength and quick hands, but he has lost those with age, leaving him average at best.

Karlsson is having an adjustment period to a new team/coach/systems, but he's generally considered one of the top 10 players in the whole league (often even top 5). Those players generally stay very effective well into their thirties, and the 7-year limit on contracts means he won't command anything scary-long.

If you can add a player like that for nothing but cap space, you do it. If Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat continue to dominate like they have, and Hughes and Demko start well, it's not a stretch to suggest we'll have a brief window to contend with EP & QH on their entry level contracts. Having Karlsson on board as well would be HUGE.

It may mean having to trade one of the younger guys at some point (like TO might have to do with Nylander b/c of Tavares), but we'll get assets back, so it won't be much of a loss, compared to the win of adding a franchise player.

15 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Who was against EK coming here exactly?

It's a matter of having the high end and amount of pieces that would be required. 

I don't think anyone is against EK coming here as you say. Many of us were against trading for him as the Canucks simply are not in the correct place to be able to trade away multiple assets. 

If we were able to sign him when and if he hits UFA then I say we go for it.

This was the problem with what the Oilers and Leafs did. They spent a lot of their cap space on free agents that are now more of an anchor then a benefit. Lucic for the Oilers and Marleau for the leafs are a big reason why they are in cap hell. I would like us to be smart with our cap, with our own core and then let the free agents come to us when we are a desirable contender. No rushing in the rebuild pays off (look at the Jets) while overspending too quickly will shorten your window and corners you to make some tough decisions regarding your core.

7C635EE0-28C4-490E-B7D8-14D0DBC8C69A.gif

If he hits UFA I would be happy to see him come here. But at the time, we would have had to give up too much.

Imagine both Hughes and EK on our team?  Thatd finally give us the punch from the back end weve been lacking for a long time.  Then resign Edler as a complimentary player, retain Tanev and our top 4 looks as good as any.

Archived