The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sign Duchene 7yrs/49m, yay or nay?

Yay or nay?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Duchene shot himself in the foot and his career is basically over. He'll play out his contract with OTT (this year) and then maybe take a salary cut to sign with another team. He's now a player who is known to be disrespectful to his team and coaches and hasn't done anything to improve the teams he's been on. In fact, COL got better once he left, OTT got worse when he arrived there. Coincidence? 

He kind of reminds me of Gagner, in a way. Top centre (smallish and skilled) drafted high (top 10), who's best days are behind him. They both seem to have entitlement issues as well. Like they're above working hard enough to make the team or too good to pay attention to the coaching staff.  

Edited by NUCKER67

• 2 weeks later...

With the way he was playing before I kinda figured 7mil was on the low side. 8-9mil seems pretty fair. Johansen is making 8mil for like 60ish points. Although I think Johansen is a superior two way center. 8.5mil for a PPG Duchene is good deal for both sides, if he keeps at that pace though. They still have Bobby Ryan doing Bobby Ryan things for nearly 8mil, adding a underpeforming Duchene at 8.5 could really hamstring em. But that's a worry for another time. Lock him up when you can Ottawa. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/12/2018 at 5:07 AM, billabong said:

Not lobbying for either, just wanted to test the waters if canucks fans would go for a big 2019 free agent signing

duchene will probably get Kane/JVR type money

hes having a good year so far and will probably be testing the market on July 1

I would absolutely pay Duchene 7 years 49 million.  That would be a huge bargain price, and Duchene can play both Center and LW.

Having said that - I think it’s extremely unrealistic to believe that he’ll sign for that amount.  Duchene will likely get between 9-9.5 million.  

1 hour ago, billabong said:

Has anyone changed their mind?

Scratch the 7x7 scenario 

8m-8.5m x 7 years?

Duchene has played wing in the past and would really insulate petey and horvat down the middle

Just saw this updated post, lol.

Again, it would depend on the asking price.

Duchene between 8.5-9 million could end up being a very shrewd investment.   

Duchene-Pettersson-Boeser 

OR

Pettersson-Duchene-Boeser

would be one of the best lines in hockey.....and unlike Panarin, it wouldn’t cost us 10.5+ million.

I think Duchene’s “lockerroom cancer” bit has been greatly exaggerated.  Yeah he made those comments in Ottawa and yeah he didn’t play well on those terrible Colorado and Ottawa teams at times, but the guy can play extremely well when motivated and when playing with great line mates.  The Canucks are trending upwards as a team and Duchene would play with Pettersson and Boeser and so I think he’d be plenty motivated.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

OR

would be one of the best lines in hockey.....and unlike Panarin, it wouldn’t cost us 10.5+ million.

I think Duchene’s “lockerroom cancer” bit has been greatly exaggerated.  Yeah he made those comments in Ottawa and yeah he didn’t play well on those terrible Colorado and Ottawa teams at times, but the guy can play extremely well when motivated and when playing with great line mates.  The Canucks are trending upwards as a team and Duchene would play with Pettersson and Boeser and so I think he’d be plenty motivated.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but Duchene would also give us massive depth down the middle.

Pettersson

Duchene

Horvat

Since Pettersson and Eriksson seem to be showing chemistry at the World’s, perhaps you could make them a fixture here.  

Duchene could play play with Boeser, while Horvat could play with Baertschi and Virtanen.

Goldobin-Duchene-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

A guy like Duchene certainly would give us options.  

5 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

OR

Duchene likes CLB...but might not once their star goalie and forward leave town. He liked playing into the second round which is something he might not do for awhile both here and if he stays too.  My guess in the end the highest bidder will get him, and it will be more than 8 million, he’s the best center on the market and has blazing speed to go with today’s game (fetish). 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Duchene likes CLB...but might not once their star goalie and forward leave town. He liked playing into the second round which is something he might not do for awhile both here and if he stays too.  My guess in the end the highest bidder will get him, and it will be more than 8 million, he’s the best center on the market and has blazing speed to go with today’s game (fetish). 

Many seem to have Nashville as the front runner.  Duchene likes the city and owns an investment property there per LeBrun.  David Poile tried hard to get Duchene before settling for Turris and will probably try again.  He doesn't hand out trade clauses though (only Rinne has one) and talks about the lower cost of living and favourable taxation to get players at a more reasonable cap hit.  Another team might offer more and hand out a NMC.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Many seem to have Nashville as the front runner.  Duchene likes the city and owns an investment property there per LeBrun.  David Poile tried hard to get Duchene before settling for Turris and will probably try again.  He doesn't hand out trade clauses though (only Rinne has one) and talks about the lower cost of living and favourable taxation to get players at a more reasonable cap hit.  Another team might offer more and hand out a NMC.  

Can see why NSH wants him badly, they lack offense and Duchene should help with that.  Duchene also might like it after having his first taste of playoffs and really enjoying it.   A far more likely destination than Vancouver.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 8:29 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but Duchene would also give us massive depth down the middle.

Pettersson

Duchene

Horvat

Since Pettersson and Eriksson seem to be showing chemistry at the World’s, perhaps you could make them a fixture here.  

Duchene could play play with Boeser, while Horvat could play with Baertschi and Virtanen.

Goldobin-Duchene-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Eriksson

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

A guy like Duchene certainly would give us options.  

Just piggybacking off my old thought, you could replace Eriksson with Gaudette.

Goldobin-Duchene-Boeser

Pearson-Pettersson-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Schenn

Three potentially really good scoring lines.

Duchene, if anything. seems hit or miss on teams. He was a hit in Columbus. He was a miss in Colorado and Ottawa. Therefore, it's kind of a risky signing if it becomes too expensive, which it likely will be.

If it works out, we have our top 6 forward we wanted. If it doesn't work out, it may be worse than Eriksson.

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Duchene, if anything. seems hit or miss on teams. He was a hit in Columbus. He was a miss in Colorado and Ottawa. Therefore, it's kind of a risky signing if it becomes too expensive, which it likely will be.

If it works out, we have our top 6 forward we wanted. If it doesn't work out, it may be worse than Eriksson.

Duchene was great for most of his time in Colorado.  He only struggled when the entire team became terrible.

Duchene would not be my first (or second) target, but at the right price he would give this team a big boost. 7X7 is probably a pipe dream (I put yes, but for less term and money) but if he would sign for less than that you take it. Hockey is a money all sport. Points per dollar is the metric we should be tracking. Ericsson is. It a terrible player and still fits on an NHL team, just not at his cap. Think where the oilers could be if Jesus and his deciples had left a little room for defencemen or good two way players. JB should put an offer in for every decent FA...just not at max term and dollars. Probably won’t work but you never know, many teams have no cap to spend and we do have some exciting youth on the team. Hughes, feeding Duchene, Boesser and Petey on the power play does sound interesting 

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

58pts in 50 games in Ottawa this season. 

Friedman on Duchene in his 31 thoughts podcast:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-podcast-note-10-pending-nhl-ufas/

EF: “I think the most likely destinations are Nashville and Montreal. Not to say that something else can’t happen here and there. But when I look at Duchene, I think those are the two. He’s always wanted to play for Nashville, we all know that. And on the other side, I think Montreal’s got cap room and I think they’re interested. But I’ve said this many times: Until Nashville’s out of the picture, I always assume they’re very much in the picture when it comes to him.”