The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Sign Duchene 7yrs/49m, yay or nay?

Yay or nay?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would not go near Duchene with a contract if he has attitude problems, the Uber video looks bad. But I don't have the luxury that GMs have where they can interview the guy. Nor do I have the resources of insiders where they can ask people what they think of him. So from that standpoint I can't say for sure or not if I'd send him a contract. The information I do have access to pertain to his play.

Duchene has 19 points in 17 games (6 goals 13 assists) with a team that was expected to be handing Colorado Jack Hughes. They are 7-7-3 on the season. Way, way ahead of where everyone had them. He has 45% ozone starts, 54% faceoff percentage on 300+ faceoffs (Pettersson has taken 130 faceoffs) thus far. 13 blocks, 9 hits, 15 takeaways, 12 giveaways. If he sustains this level of play I think 7mil is pretty fair for 90ish points.

Personally, I don't think we need a center. Petey is developing there nicely. Hopefully he starts taking more faceoffs next year. So for positional reasons I say no. Would rather use that money to try get a more offensive minded RH d-man or even throw that 7x7 at Stone. So he can play alongside Petey instead of moving Petey to the wing to play with Duchene.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Trouba is a RFA....love him, too expensive

Don't want MD...………...just don't like his game or his person

I would rather have Stone..... he can play it any way you want to play...has great finish, can play it rough

I could see him just as much on Bo line as on Pettersson's line, but again may be just a little too expensive with Eriksson here   8 M  X 5 ?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Trouba is a RFA....love him, too expensive

Don't want MD...………...just don't like his game or his person

I would rather have Stone..... he can play it any way you want to play...has great finish, can play it rough

I could see him just as much on Bo line as on Pettersson's line, but again may be just a little too expensive with Eriksson here   8 M  X 5 ?

Stone is a hockey player; Duchene is a punk.  Agree here 100%

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Love Duchene's dynamics, skill set, skating, all that, he is a full package,2 way player, that said, not impressed with that video of him not caring for the past 3 weeks. to say he wasnt listening means he cares little for what his coach is doing, which also disrespects his team.   He does sound like a guy that will jell with fellow players, but to not listen for 3 weeks? cmon. We don't need a guy like this on our team. 

huge pass.  I was thinking about this guy prior no joke, but not anymore.  He does not represent someone with "character"

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

notwithstanding all the other good arguments, its just the wrong place for us to spend the money. We have two top 6 C's now in Bo and EP. EP is clearly a prodigy and Bo's simply willed himself into a top 6 role. We've also got the current and future bottom 6 C's nicely lined up. 

We need this dough for elite defence. 

• Upvote 2

Speaking of acquiring UFAs. If we are really going to look for another top-6 center to strengthen the depth of the team for a cup run, the guy I have in mind is Mikael Granlund. He has another year left on his contract after this season, so we will look to get him in the summer of 2020.

The Wild are the oldest team in the NHL, their window to win is slim and if they don’t win this year or next, they will look for a tear down rebuild. Mikael Granlund would still only be 28 at the time, still in his prime, he likely won’t want to stay in Minnesota for a rebuild. Chances are, he will walk as a UFA. 

He plays a very strong 2-way game and can also produce proficiently in the top-6. He is also Markus’s brother and if things are trending up for us with Markus on our team, he may consider signing here with us. By the summer of 2020, I see the team will be looking to take that next step and try and build towards being a contender. A 1-2-3 punch of EP, Horvat and Granlund would be a very strong top 3 Center group.

This is a much better option than Duchene.

8 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Speaking of acquiring UFAs. If we are really going to look for another top-6 center to strengthen the depth of the team for a cup run, the guy I have in mind is Mikael Granlund. He has another year left on his contract after this season, so we will look to get him in the summer of 2020.

The Wild are the oldest team in the NHL, their window to win is slim and if they don’t win this year or next, they will look for a tear down rebuild. Mikael Granlund would still only be 28 at the time, still in his prime, he likely won’t want to stay in Minnesota for a rebuild. Chances are, he will walk as a UFA. 

He plays a very strong 2-way game and can also produce proficiently in the top-6. He is also Markus’s brother and if things are trending up for us with Markus on our team, he may consider signing here with us. By the summer of 2020, I see the team will be looking to take that next step and try and build towards being a contender. A 1-2-3 punch of EP, Horvat and Granlund would be a very strong top 3 Center group.

This is a much better option than Duchene.

yes

brothers

long before - courtnalls

before - sedins

next - hughes bros

then - granlunds

after - tanevs

and then - petterssons

Edited by coastal.view

Skip Duchene and sign Stone.  He’s proven he can do a lot with very little and is consistent, he’s one of the most underrated forwards in the league and might be able to get him for less than other stars with more name recognition. He’d give us two legitimate scoring lines.

• Upvote 2

We don't need another center.  We have our elite-level centers (for their positions) in Pettersson and Horvat.  What we need is a strong, 1st line LW.  Sorry Baertschi fans - but he won't cut it.  Anders Lee would be *perfect*.

Lee Pettersson Boeser would look spectacular.

Edited by kloubek