The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Space 2019/20

Gurn

So the Cap is going to be $83 mill next season.

1 How many teams will no longer be in cap trouble?

2 How much harder will it be for the Canucks to utilize their cap space to take back bad contracts in return for draft picks and prospects.

Just seems so Canuck luck, finally have huge cap room but now everyone has some space?

I cringe at that cap space that Benning and Aqualinni will have this summer:

Little Things

Del Zaster

Dr. Schaller

Gags

Put whatever spin you want on it, the UFA signings have been atrocious under Bennings regime.  If only they had a voice of reason in the front office to preach patience... 

We all know patience will get thrown out the window this summer and they'll overpay for players that'll come here and do sweet @#$% all. 

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

2 How much harder will it be for the Canucks to utilize their cap space to take back bad contracts in return for draft picks and prospects.

Ummm, that's always been impossible.  We have Aquilini as an owner.  He'll never allow us to give up and take on other team's trash.  We'll get more players like Beagle, Schaller, Gagner, Loui, etc...

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just seems so Canuck luck, finally have huge cap room but now everyone has some space?

I think we're now out of the phase where we want to collect bad contracts. We currently have 9 mil well under-utilized for this season and next with Gags and Loui. We can handle 1 if Loui doesn't improve offensively but another big anchor would hurt us going forward. 

With 34 mil tho we could potentially go after a guy like Myers but man thats risky too, if you give him 7+ which he'll want if he doesn't pan out thats going to sting. 

We do need some defensive upgrades tho so it'll be an interesting off season. 

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I cringe at that cap space that Benning and Aqualinni will have this summer:

Little Things

Del Zaster

Dr. Schaller

Gags

Put whatever spin you want on it, the UFA signings have been atrocious under Bennings regime.  If only they had a voice of reason in the front office to preach patience... 

We all know patience will get thrown out the window this summer and they'll overpay for players that'll come here and do sweet @#$% all. 

I hope we use our cap room for EK, and a real number one goalie.  (Would like a knuckle dragger like Reaves too.)

Don't be surprised if Bobby Lu hangs them up in the next season or 2 and that has cap repercussions for the Canucks. Depending on the contracts that Boeser and EP sign, the recapture penalty could be the highest paid Canuck for the 2021-22 season.

Retirement year

2019 3 years at $2.9m

2020 2 years at $4.3m

2021 1 year at $8.5m

4 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Don't be surprised if Bobby Lu hangs them up in the next season or 2 and that has cap repercussions for the Canucks. Depending on the contracts that Boeser and EP sign, the recapture penalty could be the highest paid Canuck for the 2021-22 season.

Retirement year

2019 3 years at $2.9m

2020 2 years at $4.3m

2021 1 year at $8.5m

With the new Seattle team coming, and a new CBA too, will teams get a couple buyouts?  IF so, could we buy out our portion of Loui's contract? 

14 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Retirement year

2019 3 years at $2.9m

2020 2 years at $4.3m

2021 1 year at $8.5m

No chance Luongo doesn't go on LTIR if he doesn't finish his contract.  With his injury history, it's a slam dunk, so I have 0 worries about the cap recapture penalty. So far there's been 0 contracts like these without the player going on LTIR instead of retiring. Luongo isn't going to be the first with his bad hips and knees.

13 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Retirement year

2019 3 years at $2.9m

2020 2 years at $4.3m

2021 1 year at $8.5m

I wonder if Canuck's management has any "insider info" regarding this penalty and whether the league will still uphold it?

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wonder if Canuck's management has any "insider info" regarding this penalty and whether the league will still uphold it?

No inside info needed because there's 0 chance the canucks will be hit with the recapture penalty.  The NHL let hossa finish his contract on LTIR with his skin condition.  There's no way they'll challenge luongo ending his career on LTIR when he has ample recent injury history.  If he doesn't finish his contract, he'll go on LTIR with bad hips or knees.  I'm not worried about luongo's contract at all with 0 players being forced to retire instead of going on LTIR.  Zetterberg is just the latest example.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Likely taking cues from The Fed. Since all countries just seem to rack up huge debt, just print into oblivion. Watch fiat curriencies become tp, yet Wall St keeps expanding like some ludicrous glutton.

Got this runaway cap-number, yet watching games(especially in US markets) only see empty seats. "Grow the GAME!" they ranted.

Something's rotten in Denmark.

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With the new Seattle team coming, and a new CBA too, will teams get a couple buyouts?  IF so, could we buy out our portion of Loui's contract? 

That's an interesting angle. Not sure how that would work, would still end up being a couple of million on the cap for 2-3 years I'd suspect.

30 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

No chance Luongo doesn't go on LTIR if he doesn't finish his contract.  With his injury history, it's a slam dunk, so I have 0 worries about the cap recapture penalty. So far there's been 0 contracts like these without the player going on LTIR instead of retiring. Luongo isn't going to be the first with his bad hips and knees.

Hahaha...there is definitely a chance and its not anywhere near a slam dunk. Lu could easily finish this season healthy and the Panthers miss the playoffs and he decides he doesn't wanna come back at nearly 41 and retires. He probably only gets another 20-25 starts this season and his injuries lately haven't kept him out too long so trying to go on the LTIR could be problematic. Also Hossa and Zetterberg were helping out their current team with their LTIR "injuries", I doubt Lu gives a f**k about the Canucks and the Panthers penalty is much less than the Canucks.

17 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Hahaha...there is definitely a chance and its not anywhere near a slam dunk. Lu could easily finish this season healthy and the Panthers miss the playoffs and he decides he doesn't wanna come back at nearly 41 and retires. He probably only gets another 20-25 starts this season and his injuries lately haven't kept him out too long so trying to go on the LTIR could be problematic. Also Hossa and Zetterberg were helping out their current team with their LTIR "injuries", I doubt Lu gives a f**k about the Canucks and the Panthers penalty is much less than the Canucks.

Hossa never went on IR ever before in the past with his skin condition. Zetterberg played 82 games last year. So finishing the year healthy is meaningless. Luongo will finish that contract or finish it on LTIR. No worries at all about it. I don't think Luongo would be petty enough to screw us because we sent him home to Florida, which made the wife happy and happy wife equals happy life! 

Archived