The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Pyatt(ott) Butler, Nolan(stl)

86Viking

Nolan the slug should have been out of the NHL a long time ago. All he does is try to cheap shot and injure the stars of the game.

"down goes Nolan ragdolled to the ice"........

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I used to think we needed Nolan for his toughness but I really like what kind of grit Beagle and Roussel bring instead.

Beagle takes no b.s. and Roussel has a way of bringing physicality when needed -- e.g., the other day he wasn't keen on the other team running up the score, taking advantage of people.  I used to see Roussel as just a penalty magnet, but he's winning me over.  If Beagle can keep playing the way he does now for a couple more years, it will be the best money spent since Vanek and Miller.   Nolan had the wrong kind of toughness.  We need a loyal backer for Pettersson and Boeser (and I guess Hughes) someone who can put fear into cheapshotters and thugs.   I don't think a Nolan type does that.   I favor Ferland for overall toughness, and I think he'd see the need to protect the meal tickets.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I used to think we needed Nolan for his toughness but I really like what kind of grit Beagle and Roussel bring instead.

Exactly.

Ideally, you can get what we have - a big, mean, effective guy that can play and relatively 'deter' = Gudbranson - in the form of a winger that has those qualities - that can play regular minutes while enhancing your lineup and not hurting it/costing you a roster spot for what are peripheral qualities in the end.   It's not really ideal that your toughest guy / most willing or able heavyweight is a defenseman, but you take what you can get in the best form you can, and whether or not you have that forward in your lineup, you want a Gudbranson regardless.

But adding a 6 or 7 minute player that is marginal to your roster is entirely pointless imo in the 'modern' NHL, and even moreso when you already have an effective shutdown D that can provide that.  Ideally a forward who can enter the scrums in the ozone without causing faceoffs to exit the zone - a forward that doesn't leave you short on the back end if your heavyweight is a D that winds up in the box for extended periods.....but the game is changing, and there are less of those 6/7 minute forwards to contend with in any event.

That forward is also in high demand = a rare asset = and something that like particular types of D - big RH shutdown D or pmds - is something you likely have to draft and develop yourself - or pay an insane premium for.    So the team drafts Gadjovich, signs MacEwen, and looks for those opportunities to maybe get tougher but keeps their priorities straight.

Like you, I really appreciate the kind of toughness and leadership Beagle brings.  He's not necessarily going to punch faces, but he'll certainly get in them and send a message - imo from a respected veteran - that isn't without effect.   But the overall effect he brings - faceoffs, penalty killing, puck pursuit, work ethic, etc = no brainer over chasing a 'tough' guy.

5 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Nolan the slug should have been out of the NHL a long time ago. All he does is try to cheap shot and injure the stars of the game.

"down goes Nolan ragdolled to the ice"........

Man I don't think these guys were watching the same fight. Obviously homers. I'm still looking for Nolan's "hard right":lol:

Archived