The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson is closing in on almost every Canucks rookie record

JustNazzy

On 3/13/2019 at 11:14 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Record of being the most physically abused Canucks super star rookie ever.

Sure. Yes.

Possibly the record for being the shortest career by a star rookie, if this crap and Benning’s brilliance keeps up. 

Damn, you really think he can give Pentti Lund a run for his money?

On 3/14/2019 at 9:47 AM, MoldyTaco said:

dude pettersson will be fine. he will bulk up over the next two years and not get pushed around so much. the kid is already pretty tough hes gonna have a long career.

star players get targeted. star players also learn to deal with being targeted. 

"Make Tacos Great Again!"

On 3/14/2019 at 9:47 AM, MoldyTaco said:

dude pettersson will be fine. he will bulk up over the next two years and not get pushed around so much. the kid is already pretty tough hes gonna have a long career.

star players get targeted. star players also learn to deal with being targeted. 

He has a real knack for going down when he takes a dirty hit. That's not to say he is a diver (as we saw when he kept skating last night vs Dallas and was awarded the penalty shot). The thing about him is that the other star players have respect for him. 

He needs to toe the line between respect and going down easy when targeted though and I think he's found that already. The star players who go down too easily for the power play are often targeted more because the opposition isn't as worried about getting burned by going for the hit and being made to look like fools. 

One can hope the days of players risking their bodies to draw a penalty are over in Vancouver. The last thing we need is Petey getting injured trying to draw a call.

3 minutes ago, Eli4sPetterss0n said:

He has a real knack for going down when he takes a dirty hit. That's not to say he is a diver (as we saw when he kept skating last night vs Dallas and was awarded the penalty shot). The thing about him is that the other star players have respect for him. 

He needs to toe the line between respect and going down easy when targeted though and I think he's found that already. The star players who go down too easily for the power play are often targeted more because the opposition isn't as worried about getting burned by going for the hit and being made to look like fools. 

One can hope the days of players risking their bodies to draw a penalty are over in Vancouver. The last thing we need is Petey getting injured trying to draw a call.

Fair points man. But we all seem to forget because of the amazing year and how professional he is already, that the kid is only 20 and this is his first year in the nhl. ice is alot smaller and the players are alot "meanier" for lack of a better term hell of alot more slashing hacking and grabbing its pretty evident petey is getting beat down from the grind of just how long the nhl season is. 

I have full confident this kid will be a gem and something this team never had, I love the compete in this kid and how he isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas and even throw out hits.

I think what you alluded to is just the case of petey trying to play bigger then his body is and as he gets stronger and bigger it wont look like he goes down easy anymore. 

2 hours ago, Eli4sPetterss0n said:

It's not so much he goes down easily - it's more that he extends himself WAAYYY out there and doesn't give up on plays and ends up that way.  No quit in him.   The pass back to Brock as he slides past the net being an example of that.   Play should have been over by all accounts at that point.  

Others do respect him and part of it is likely attributed to the fact that he doesn't shy away from plays or give up to save himself.  When he goes down, he's given everything he's got to either get the puck or protect it.  That's how I see it.

He doesn't dive, whine or look for calls...an example is when the stick was thrown and he carried on, business as usual.  Get it next time stuff.

Nothing but pride in how he plays the game and I hate any hints that he dives or looks for calls.  They're usually hard earned.

Archived