The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Panarin Interested in Vancouver

SuitnTie

On 5/27/2019 at 12:22 PM, Provost said:

I don't know what order it was, but on 650 after the season he was interviewed and said they were looking at higher end guys and not depth players like in past years (as he is happy with his depth and thinks some kids might be able to push to fill those bottom end roster spots too).

I won't hold my breath for one of the top guys, but also don't doubt we will be making calls.

I listened to that part of the interview several times over to make sure I heard it right, and put it into my sig.  Found it rather odd that it passed by without comment from anyone, nor has it been mentioned in the media since.

"If we're going to do anything it'll be more high-end stuff in free agency." - Benning March 13th, 2019

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, 73 Percent said:

Nah nah nah. Pettersson doesnt get panarin and boeser.  Horvat gets at least one of the two. 

Panarin pettersson virtanen

Baerstchi horvat boeser

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Kapanen 

Roussel Gaudette Virtanen

Edler  Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Zaitsev

• Upvote 3

I haven’t read the thread. But I can’t be the only person who thinks a thread for Panarin coming to Vancouver is completely ridiculous, am I? 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Panarin. He’s one of my favourite players. Has been since he entered the league. But there’s no way he comes to Vancouver. 

4 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Calling it now, we sign Panarin to a 8 year deal for under $10M per

LeBrun believes it would take a 2nd round pick for CBJ to be willing to do a sign & trade.  Only the Blue Jackets can offer him 8 years.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

I haven’t read the thread. But I can’t be the only person who thinks a thread for Panarin coming to Vancouver is completely ridiculous, am I? 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Panarin. He’s one of my favourite players. Has been since he entered the league. But there’s no way he comes to Vancouver. 

Love how you can speak in absolutes.

Vancouver has the cap space to sign him, are specifically looking for a top 6 LW, and the allure of playing with Pettersson exists

Maybe completely ridiculous to a Jets fan

9 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Love how you can speak in absolutes.

Vancouver has the cap space to sign him, are specifically looking for a top 6 LW, and the allure of playing with Pettersson exists

Maybe completely ridiculous to a Jets fan

“Love how you can speak in absolutes.”

As stated numerous times, I’m a fan of many, many teams. Just not the Oilers. Really just a fan of hockey. Which is why my favourite players are also not team specific. See: 3 of my favourite players are not on the Jets.

As for this, again, zero chance Panarin signs in Vancouver. I don’t really think I need to explain why. Anyone that knows the actual state of the Canucks and when they may actually contend to win, knows that timeline doesn’t align with Panarin’s window to win. Pretty obvious.

Again, way to speak in absolutes on something you really have no actual insider insight into.

Nobody is saying the chance is high that he signs here, but there is more than zero chance, like you are stating.

There is a chance he signs in Vancouver. Like any other team that has cap space, is looking for a top 6 LW, and has players Panarin may want to play with.

Being the all-knowing of all things NHL/Canucks, I know you feel as if your opinion is fact, so carry on.

5 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Again, way to speak in absolutes on something you really have no actual insider insight into.

Nobody is saying the chance is high that he signs here, but there is more than zero chance, like you are stating.

There is a chance he signs in Vancouver. Like any other team that has cap space, is looking for a top 6 LW, and has players Panarin may want to play with.

Being the all-knowing of all things NHL/Canucks, I know you feel as if your opinion is fact, so carry on.

I'm hoping there is zero chance Panarin comes here.  I don't want JB to spend those cap dollars on a winger.  Much rather we have EK than Panarin.  

I like Panarin though.  I just don't think wingers are worth those cap dollars.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Monty said:

“Love how you can speak in absolutes.”

As stated numerous times, I’m a fan of many, many teams. Just not the Oilers. Really just a fan of hockey. Which is why my favourite players are also not team specific. See: 3 of my favourite players are not on the Jets.

As for this, again, zero chance Panarin signs in Vancouver. I don’t really think I need to explain why. Anyone that knows the actual state of the Canucks and when they may actually contend to win, knows that timeline doesn’t align with Panarin’s window to win. Pretty obvious.

The Canucks won't be contending within 7 years even with Panarin on the roster as well?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

LeBrun believes it would take a 2nd round pick for CBJ to be willing to do a sign & trade.  Only the Blue Jackets can offer him 8 years.

If that's the cost to assure he's locked in, then that will be an incredible draft day splash. Panarin (elite 1st line winger) will likely be worth more than what we would get from the 2nd round.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm hoping there is zero chance Panarin comes here.  I don't want JB to spend those cap dollars on a winger.  Much rather we have EK than Panarin.  

Panarin is a lot different, as he’s not your stereotypical winger, though. He really is that rare unicorn winger like Patrick Kane that makes every other player around him better. He’ll be highly sought after, and for good reason. Absolute stud.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Panarin is a lot different, as he’s not your stereotypical winger, though. He really is that rare unicorn winger like Patrick Kane that makes every other player around him better. He’ll be highly sought after, and for good reason. Absolute stud.

Rather have Wheeler or Scheifelle for their cap hits.  Unless a guy is a stud center or D man, who plays a 200 foot game, I don't see the value in spending huge cap dollars on them.  Getting guys who are great players like the two Jets I mentioned to play for less than the 10 or 11 million Panarin will command, IMO, is better for building a winning team.  

And Big Buff.  Can't forget him.  Guys like that are worth the top dollars. (He's my favorite player to watch.)

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

While I generally agree that wingers shouldn't cost too much, Panarin is an offensive driver. He was the top used forward even strength for Columbus. He was 20-25 points above his peers in Columbus (so didn't just ride Kane's coattails). For a smaller guy, he doesn't disappear in the playoffs with 26 points in 27 games (majority of it with Columbus). If he can be signed for a bit under 10 million, I think he will be worth the price.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

While I generally agree that wingers shouldn't cost too much, Panarin is an offensive driver. He was the top used forward even strength for Columbus. He was 20-25 points above his peers in Columbus (so didn't just ride Kane's coattails). For a smaller guy, he doesn't disappear in the playoffs with 26 points in 27 games (majority of it with Columbus). If he can be signed for a bit under 10 million, I think he will be worth the price.

I do like him, and see a very good player.  I'd rather spend the biggest cap dollars on EK.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rather have Wheeler or Scheifelle for their cap hits.  Unless a guy is a stud center or D man, who plays a 200 foot game, I don't see the value in spending huge cap dollars on them.  Getting guys who are great players like the two Jets I mentioned to play for less than the 10 or 11 million Panarin will command, IMO, is better for building a winning team.  

And Big Buff.  Can't forget him.  Guys like that are worth the top dollars. (He's my favorite player to watch.)

Wheeler is certainly signed to a good deal and at 32 years of age, hopefully he can keep up for that contract. Wheeler has had some incredible talent to work with (Scheifele being one of them) as opposed to Panarin who like I said earlier is clear cut above the rest on his team. Wheeler may have gotten more if he took himself to UFA, but likely tried to take on a more team friendly deal in hopes of building a winner. Scheifele is signed to one of the best deals in the league and is a great example to try to lock in your RFAs at a good value rather than overpaying in hopes they get to that level (the Boeser contract talks). Scheifele is likely going to be paid very well in his next deal, but this was majority his RFA contract which cannot be compared to a UFA signing like Panarin would be.

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If that's the cost to assure he's locked in, then that will be an incredible draft day splash. Panarin (elite 1st line winger) will likely be worth more than what we would get from the 2nd round.

He also has to want to sign with that team.  CBJ would need to allow him to interview with teams now.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I do like him, and see a very good player.  I'd rather spend the biggest cap dollars on EK.  

EK on one leg and a pulled groin is better than any D we have. It's a gamble but if he stays healthy we finally, finally have a number one D, Norris Dman in a Canucks jersey.