The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schenn can sign where he wants to come July 1. 

If Leafs don't sign him, they've lost the plot. And he sounded happy to play with Leafs. 

It would be perfect back as a Canuck. 

Edited by spook007

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

If Leafs don't sign him, they've lost the plot. And he sounded happy to play with Leafs. 

It would be perfect back as a Canuck. 

Luke Schenn is a quality teammate. That said it is time for the Canucks to invest his TOI in players who will be with the club when it is contending for a Cup. If Vancouver resigns him it is a step back or at best treading water.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Luke Schenn is a quality teammate. That said it is time for the Canucks to invest his TOI in players who will be with the club when it is contending for a Cup. If Vancouver resigns him it is a step back or at best treading water.

It very much depends on the contract Schenn signs. If he signs for 1.2 x 2 years then it’s fine to bring him back. We need his size and toughness on our back end. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It very much depends on the contract Schenn signs. If he signs for 1.2 x 2 years then it’s fine to bring him back. We need his size and toughness on our back end. 

I appreciate that the Canucks need his size and toughness but I prefer that Woo gets that opportunity. He is faster than Schenn and the Canucks have to give him the TOI. For me it is all about the timeline and Luke doesn’t fit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I appreciate that the Canucks need his size and toughness but I prefer that Woo gets that opportunity. He is faster than Schenn and the Canucks have to give him the TOI. For me it is all about the timeline and Luke doesn’t fit.

Woo will get his chance to earn a spot at camp. If he earns it, he will be on the team. Schenn can play the 7th D. 
Hronek

Myers

Woo

Schenn

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I can agree that it is treading water, but for the past number of off-seasons we've tried to improve our D with very poor results.

Schenn has arguably been the only bright spot in all of that (prior to Hronek of course).

I highly doubt they'll do much better this off-season - if we brought back one solid piece (Schenn) that can consistently play above his spot and pay-grade that would be a massive water-treading win for us.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Woo will get his chance to earn a spot at camp. If he earns it, he will be on the team. Schenn can play the 7th D. 
Hronek

Myers

Woo

Schenn

Trade out Myers for Bear.

Schenn is still way better than Woo.

And even if Woo can get some games, we still have Juulsen who did well and Johansson will be knocking on the door too.

If we could somehow figure out how to get Gavrikov, we'd probably be nicely set.

Hughes Hronek

Gavrikov Bear 

Wolanin Schenn

Hirose Woo

Rathbone Juulsen

Dermott Johansson

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is not the future, but if there is cap trouble and we don't have players capable from within to bring the element of truculence to the back end, Schenn fit the bill perfectly short term, as he has proven, he plays well with QH while keeping the opposition on their toes.

If Woo is able to take the next step, nobody would be happier than me, as he was my favourite pick, when he was drafted. He had that snarl to his game then, and hopefully still brings it. @Stawns says, at the end of the season, he was probably Abbys best Dman (Wolanin apart), so that would be perfect if he could step up.

But we need somebody to play with QH, and unless they are willing to spend on a defensive Dman to go with him... Short term solution.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

And even if Woo can get some games, we still have Juulsen who did well and Johansson will be knocking on the door too.

If we could somehow figure out how to get Gavrikov, we'd probably be nicely set.

Hughes Hronek

Gavrikov Bear 

Wolanin Schenn

Hirose Woo

Rathbone Juulsen

Dermott Johansson

I don't think we'll see Baer back, and what happened to OEL?

I also think Schenn should be brought back on a cheapish 2 year contract, unless we get another proper top 4D. At least until Myers is off the books.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I don't think we'll see Baer back, and what happened to OEL?

I also think Schenn should be brought back on a cheapish 2 year contract, unless we get another proper top 4D. At least until Myers is off the books.

I don't think Baertschi is even in the NHL anymore? ;)

I also agree that if Schenn is looking to come back and we have the space, he would be a solid addition. I think BEAR will want too much, despite the fact he doesn't have many standout qualities. Schenn brings that toughness and hitting we could certainly use. 

And you're also right about OEL. The cost to move him is too great, and I DO think there is at least a chance he can settle in and be a reasonable player for us. Worth his contract? Absolutely not. But at least reasonable. 

As much as I do think Gavrikov would be a nice addition to the left side, unfortunately, the cap dictates we cannot get everything we want. Additionally, I think Hirose showed very well and deserves a chance on the 3rd pairing to make a go of it. If that doesn't work out, we could give the Bone another try, and if all else fails, Wolanin really did look decent as well. 

Dare I say, I still want that top end defender to play with Hughes on the right side, and still have my eye on Severson. There are better shutdown guys out there, but he also comes with offensive acumen and size. I'd like to see these pairings:

Hughes Severson

OEL Hronek

Hirose Schenn

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

Hughes Hronek

Gavrikov Bear 

Wolanin Schenn

Hirose Woo

Rathbone Juulsen

Dermott Johansson

That's a hell of a good D! This would be excellent. 

Buyout OEL and trade Myers!!!!

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I also agree that if Schenn is looking to come back and we have the space, he would be a solid addition. I think BEAR will want too much, despite the fact he doesn't have many standout qualities. Schenn brings that toughness and hitting we could certainly use. 

And you're also right about OEL. The cost to move him is too great, and I DO think there is at least a chance he can settle in and be a reasonable player for us. Worth his contract? Absolutely not. But at least reasonable. 

As much as I do think Gavrikov would be a nice addition to the left side, unfortunately, the cap dictates we cannot get everything we want. Additionally, I think Hirose showed very well and deserves a chance on the 3rd pairing to make a go of it. If that doesn't work out, we could give the Bone another try, and if all else fails, Wolanin really did look decent as well. 

Dare I say, I still want that top end defender to play with Hughes on the right side, and still have my eye on Severson. There are better shutdown guys out there, but he also comes with offensive acumen and size. I'd like to see these pairings:

Hughes Severson

OEL Hronek

Hirose Schenn

Good catch Kloubek ::D  

Yes something around the lines of that is exactly, what I'm hoping for as well...

the two extra D would be 

Wolanin - Juulsen/Woo

We are so short of toughness on the back end, and Schenn has proven, he can slide up and down the line up. 
Who knows, what the depth D will be able to provide in a couple of years, but as a short term solution, Schenn makes a lot of sense to me. If any of Abbys D shows they are able to take over from Schenn, perfect, but until that happens...

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yes something around the lines of that is exactly, what I'm hoping for as well...

the two extra D would be 

Wolanin - Juulsen/Woo

Who knows, what the depth D will be able to provide in a couple of years, but as a short term solution, Schenn makes a lot of sense to me. If any of Abbys D shows they are able to take over from Schenn, perfect, but until that happens...

Agreed. I would suggest that if it works out, that Burroughs could also be a backup - but I'm really not comfortable with him as a full time player.

I do think we saw enough from Hirose (LD) that he could be penciled into the 3rd LD pairing right off the bat, but with Wolanin as backup, I think either could work. Ideal? Not really, no... but reasonable. Heck, if Rathbone stays in our system I could even see him make a pitch for 3LD.

For RD, I'm less sold on McWard, but even he didn't look completely out of place and is only likely to get better from here. Then of course Woo is a consideration with his strong play of late - although to be frank I haven't seen him play for over a year, so I'm still currently not sold on the idea. Still as you point out, this team has options. Our issue isn't so much depth as it is finding the right fits in the regular lineup. If we expect Hughes to reach his full potential, he MUST be paired with a guy who he trusts so he can get in deeper where he is more dangerous. Hopefully a guy who can move the puck reasonably, is bigger, has very strong defensive ability, and hopefully, can pot 15-30 points at the same time. That's a tall ask for a team that's already over the cap before the season even starts. Yet, if we can rid ourselves of Myers' 6M, then it doesn't seem implausible. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Agreed. I would suggest that if it works out, that Burroughs could also be a backup - but I'm really not comfortable with him as a full time player.

I do think we saw enough from Hirose (LD) that he could be penciled into the 3rd LD pairing right off the bat, but with Wolanin as backup, I think either could work. Ideal? Not really, no... but reasonable. Heck, if Rathbone stays in our system I could even see him make a pitch for 3LD.

For RD, I'm less sold on McWard, but even he didn't look completely out of place and is only likely to get better from here. Then of course Woo is a consideration with his strong play of late - although to be frank I haven't seen him play for over a year, so I'm still currently not sold on the idea. Still as you point out, this team has options. Our issue isn't so much depth as it is finding the right fits in the regular lineup. If we expect Hughes to reach his full potential, he MUST be paired with a guy who he trusts so he can get in deeper where he is more dangerous. Hopefully a guy who can move the puck reasonably, is bigger, has very strong defensive ability, and hopefully, can pot 15-30 points at the same time. That's a tall ask for a team that's already over the cap before the season even starts. Yet, if we can rid ourselves of Myers' 6M, then it doesn't seem implausible. 

Agree 100% that if Hughes has to reach his full potential, he needs the right complimentary player. 

Myers to come off would solve a lot of issues for this season... or at least make the funds available to upgrade rhd...

Not sold on McWard yet, but also think he was seen as a longer term project, as he was relatively young. I'd be happy to roll with Wolanin/Hirose on the LD side of things and then either Schenn, Woo/Juulsen or bring somebody else in. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, kloubek said:

Hughes Severson

OEL Hronek

Hirose Schenn

Oh yeah, that would be great.

I’ve just watched them NOT find the elusive RHD in consecutive off-seasons which leads me to believe they also won’t again. 
I think Hronek is probably as good as it’s going to get.

And since LHD is easier to land, I figured Bear could slide down nicely and work alongside a really good guy like Gavrikov 

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

I’ve just watched them NOT find the elusive RHD in consecutive off-seasons which leads me to believe they also won’t again. 

And since LHD is easier to land, I figured Bear could slide down nicely and work alongside a really good guy like Gavrikov 

Seems you have, like many of us do, PBSD. Benning is gone. We have competent management again. They will retool our D with similar success to Gillis. Hronek is very much like Hamhuis, just younger when we got him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems you have, like many of us do, PBSD. Benning is gone. We have competent management again. They will retool our D with similar success to Gillis. Hronek is very much like Hamhuis, just younger when we got him. 

I think Hronek has more skill than Hamhuis. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Hronek has more skill than Hamhuis. 

True. I’m suggesting adding Hronek is similar to Gillis adding Hamhuis because both were much needed pieces for the club to grow into a winner. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True. I’m suggesting adding Hronek is similar to Gillis adding Hamhuis because both were much needed pieces for the club to grow into a winner. 

Now just two more NHL stay at home defensemen and the Canucks are set.

Hughes - Severson

OEL - Hronek 

Mayfield - Schenn/Woo

Hirose/Juulsen

57 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Hronek is a 25 min, all situations, elite, right shot D. And he’s only 25 years old. 
We need to draft BPA

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1