The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm starting to like modern agents less and less.

Meh, it’s in the team’s best interest to trade him anyways. The way things are going, he’ll probably get us a 2nd round pick.

But we can also say we’ll be there at the start of free agency hoping to bring him back.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Meh, it’s in the team’s best interest to trade him anyways. The way things are going, he’ll probably get us a 2nd round pick.

But we can also say we’ll be there at the start of free agency hoping to bring him back.

Yeah, I'm a huge Schenn fan, but if he gets us a 2nd, you probably take that and run.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

I must admit that I am a bit conflicted when it comes to Luke Schenn. The Canucks might be able to get a very good return for his services at the trade deadline but his availability may depend on where the team is in the standings as the TD looms.

He might be amenable to being traded to a contender as a rental for the Stanley Cup run and still re-sign with Vancouver in the off season. That could be a win for both him and the team if it does play out that way.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I must admit that I am a bit conflicted when it comes to Luke Schenn. The Canucks might be able to get a very good return for his services at the trade deadline but his availability may depend on where the team is in the standings as the TD looms.

He might be amenable to being traded to a contender as a rental for the Stanley Cup run and still re-sign with Vancouver in the off season. That could be a win for both him and the team if it does play out that way.

If they ask him to do that for the team, they better offer him a new contract with some term and a bonus.  If he joins

a contender, that will be a long upheaval for his family (March-late June).

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

If they ask him to do that for the team, they better offer him a new contract with some term and a bonus.  If he joins

a contender, that will be a long upheaval for his family (March-late June).

Yeah.. If it plays out that way a two year term @ 1mil / yr seems reasonable IMO. He may get offered more though by another team but it is all speculation at this point.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:16 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Yeah.. If it plays out that way a two year term @ 1mil / yr seems reasonable IMO. He may get offered more though by another team but it is all speculation at this point.

At his age I don’t think anyone breaks the bank for him but I wouldn’t be shocked to see someone offer him 2 mil IF the cap increases. Right handed d who can play top four if needed might be interesting to a few teams around the league 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JANUARY 17, 2023 AT 12:29 PM CDT | BY GAVIN LEE 2 COMMENTS

The Tampa Bay Lightning and Luke Schenn had a nice time together. Two years, two Stanley Cup championships. Then they parted ways, with one choosing security and proximity to family. Now it seems that they might want to rekindle an old fling. The Lightning have shown interest in re-acquiring Schenn from the Vancouver Canucks, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.

Schenn, 33, won back-to-back championships with the Lightning before signing a two-year deal with the Vancouver canucks in 2021. That contract is about to expire, and the physical depth defender has drawn some interest from all over the league as the perfect deadline addition.

He’s relatively cheap, costing just $850K against the cap, right-handed, and has 15 years of experience in the NHL. He’s also in the midst of his best per-game offensive season, with 14 points in 43 games so far in Vancouver.

Schenn has over 200 hits already this season, easily leading the league. While that isn’t always indicative of success (the other team has to have the puck for you to deliver a hit), it may be exactly what the Lightning are after.

Friedman notes that they are also looking for “a forward with an edge.” They’ve targeted players like Blake Coleman, Barclay Goodrow, and Nick Paul in the past to great success.

The Lightning won’t be the only team considering Schenn, but if they are set on him, they’ve shown a willingness to pay whatever it takes at the deadline. Tampa Bay is focused on championships, and has enough faith in their scouting and development system to move high draft picks. Schenn shouldn’t cost a first-rounder or anything, but he’ll be a nice chip for the Canucks as the deadline nears.

How about this trade?

Cal Foote 6'3 210 lbs - 24 - RD - Needs fresh start to prove himself.. 

Luke Schenn 6'2 - 225lbs  33 - RD -

• Like 1

Somehow, this guy continues to get better. Schenn is now on pace to absolutely destroy his previous career best of 22 points. He's done it twice and in 2011-12, he did it while missing three games in just 79 games. His pace them was for 22.8 points. He is currently on pace for 27.9 points. Not only that, but he's +22 over the last two seasons.

• Vintage 1