The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, -AJ- said:

I honestly don't think $3M is crazy for what Schenn provides. Scoring at a 29-point pace, providing decent defense and amazing leadership. Don't give him a long deal at that price, but two years wouldn't be bad. At 33 years old though, it's probably his last decent paying contract. 

I would consider letting him go due to his age and our window, but I feel like Schenn is exactly the kind of guy you need mentoring young new players.

Me neither, he's a better player than Erik Gudbranson and he just signed a multi year deal for 4mil. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Me neither, he's a better player than Erik Gudbranson and he just signed a multi year deal for 4mil. 

That is a non sensicle contract. However Gudbranson is in demand because he's likely the toughest guy in the league that can still play the game ( however limited ) and so there's competition for his services 

• Wat 1

Crazy that he really wants to be re-signed here. He's won it and done it all, I guess he just wants a nice city to live in now, a relatively easy job, and be a bit of a mentor for a young growing team.

I know a 2nd round pick coming back could be tasty (even turn out to be a defencemen like Allen) but if we don't change this defence, we don't really have anyone to play his minutes. I can't see us rehauling the D. Burroughs has been dreadful lately, if Schenn's gone then we're really in trouble next year.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Crazy that he really wants to be re-signed here. He's won it and done it all, I guess he just wants a nice city to live in now, a relatively easy job, and be a bit of a mentor for a young growing team.

I know a 2nd round pick coming back could be tasty (even turn out to be a defencemen like Allen) but if we don't change this defence, we don't really have anyone to play his minutes. I can't see us rehauling the D. Burroughs has been dreadful lately, if Schenn's gone then we're really in trouble next year.

If we get a 2nd Rd. pick for schenn - we'll take that and run fast!    

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There is a reason why Luke Schenn is a 3D and would likely be sitting most nights for most NHL teams. He makes close to the NHL minimum. Yes, he he is a great guy, good team mate and plays a physical game. IMHO he does not fit the canucks time line and should be traded on an offer. Sign him back as a 7/8 next year if there is no younger option. 

• There it is 1

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

At best maybe a late 2nd. More likely the offers are a late 3rd. No matter. Canucks have to take what the market is offering. 

Fans will argue Schenn is a 6/7 D so his value is likely a third or fourth. Yet those same fans can’t understand if Schenn is that level of D (which I believe he is too) that Hughes shows his greatness by carrying Schenn in top pair minutes. 

On 2/10/2023 at 7:27 PM, kloubek said:

I understand what you are saying, though I feel if the figure is reasonable, there is nothing wrong with having NHL-ready (and effective) players available for depth. It's kind of like when we had Alberts back in the day - though Schenn is even more effective.

Without him, we don't have many players who can lay out the hits. This team needs to get faster, sure, but it needs to get bigger too. Moving Schenn just because he isn't a standout talented guy is short-sighted. He's a great leader (especially important since Bo left) and makes a difference out there. He's also reasonably defensively responsible, and oddly manages to generate more points than Myers.

Speaking of Myers, I would be happy if we could move him for future considerations, to be honest. To me, he eats up a lot of cap for very questionable play, and doesn't hit like he should for a guy of his size. In any event, he is done after 1 more year, and it isn't like we're going to be instantly competitive next season anyway.

Two years at 1.5 million would probably fit both sides well.  After that send him to Abbotsford as a coach to gain some experience.  His passion for the game and mentoring abilities would be an asset for the Canucks system.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Fans will argue Schenn is a 6/7 D so his value is likely a third or fourth. Yet those same fans can’t understand if Schenn is that level of D (which I believe he is too) that Hughes shows his greatness by carrying Schenn in top pair minutes. 

Hughes is a brilliant offensive defenseman, but he does need a solid defensive partner to shine. Schenn has done a great job of providing that for 13-14 minutes even strength a night. However, that's also one of the biggest problems with this defense corps. Until Hughes has a defensive minded partner that can play with him 18+ minutes at even strength this team is going to struggle. 

After hearing Schenn's agent talk about coming back in the summer I'm even more of the mind of just get whatever we can for him. If we can re-sign Schenn in the summer, even a 4th round pick would be valuable (though I'm obviously hoping for more).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Luke Schenn leaves the organization 187th in all-time Canuck scoring.  Not bad numbers really.

185.  Dave Lowry LW 165 19 21 40
186.  Jim Nill RW 124 17 23 40
187.  Luke Schenn D 139 8 32 40
188.  Jerry Butler RW 128 19 20 39
189.  Nick Bonino C 75 15 24 39
190.  Linden Vey RW 116 14 25 39
191.  Tracy Pratt D 176 9 30 39

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2023 at 9:43 AM, Moe Knows said:

After reading what Bruce said about him I really hope we bring Scenn back as a 5/6 dman just for the character in the room he'd bring

I sure liked his game against T-Bay. I think his TOI was about 16 minutes. The Laffer d-side game will sink them. Bringing Schenn back doesn't make much sense considering his age and the need to spend his TOI on younger players. Chances are Luke will be retired by the time Vancouver contends in a serious way. Would want him hired to stay within the org after his playing days are done. 

On 4/19/2023 at 7:33 AM, Boudrias said:

I sure liked his game against T-Bay. I think his TOI was about 16 minutes. The Laffer d-side game will sink them. Bringing Schenn back doesn't make much sense considering his age and the need to spend his TOI on younger players. Chances are Luke will be retired by the time Vancouver contends in a serious way. Would want him hired to stay within the org after his playing days are done. 

Yes pragmaticaly I would have to agree but on the other side I think he could really help any younger D-men that make the team. Could probaly be got for 1.5 mill tops and you can't put a price on character.( oh I think I just did)  Either way totally agree with your last sentence.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:17 PM, Moe Knows said:

Yes pragmaticaly I would have to agree but on the other side I think he could really help any younger D-men that make the team. Could probaly be got for 1.5 mill tops and you can't put a price on character.( oh I think I just did)  Either way totally agree with your last sentence.

You bring Schenn back as a theoretical 3RD and then who do you sit for the 15 minutes of TOI he would burn? When I say that I am assuming Bear is 1RD and Honrek is 2RD. I question whether Bear is a top 4 d-man but many think he is. A resigned Schenn would bump Burroughs and squeeze out Juulson and Woo. We don't know what deals will happen this summer or who Allvin ends up drafting. It will be interesting.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

You bring Schenn back as a theoretical 3RD and then who do you sit for the 15 minutes of TOI he would burn? When I say that I am assuming Bear is 1RD and Honrek is 2RD. I question whether Bear is a top 4 d-man but many think he is. A resigned Schenn would bump Burroughs and squeeze out Juulson and Woo. We don't know what deals will happen this summer or who Allvin ends up drafting. It will be interesting.

Yeah I know. I'm leading with my heart LOL. I lso really liked what I saw of Hirose.

• Cheers 1