The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lucky for Bo his wingers can find him, like Boeser did last night :P 

The way Green likes to shuffle the lines I think we'll see him get shifts with both Petey and Bo. Whatever clicks. 

You're probably not wrong, but he was brought in specifically to play with Bo. 

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

"Reconfigure" the defence.

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's no secret that obtaining NHL calibre D-men has been this management team's Achilles heel.

Benning's 3 best D-men are ones he inherited and really the only thing he can claim as a success on the back-end in almost 5 years on the job is Stecher. I like Hughes but he was the product of tanking and has yet to play a single pro game.

His two biggest "NHL D-men" acquisitions were Gudbranson and Sbisa and using the term "tire-fire" to describe these experiments would be an understatement.

Benning's trades and NHL free-agent signings for D-men have been downright atrocious. He'll need to hit a home-run in this area very soon if we want to turn things around.

Hey now, don't forget about Bartkowski and Larsen. They were equally as terrible.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Haha 1

Love this deal at first glance. 

Always liked Pearson.  I drafted him in Fantasy the year he was drafted as an overager, and have had an eye on him since. 

Not the best foot speed for the current league.  And not great in the IQ department.  He can win puck battles, fearlessly go to the net and burry 15-20 a year, which this team will gladly take. 

He he should also see some healthy PP time.  I’d honestly have him replace Bo on the 1PP as the net front, and have Bo QB PP2 off the half wall.

Considering I’ve wanted Gudbranson gone since he arrived, this is a lovely trade.   I expect we’ll see:

Goldy - Petey- Brock

Pearson - Bo - Leivo

Granny - Gaud - Roo

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Should get interesting once Sutter, Virtanen, and Baer are back. 

Going to to be an exciting offseason!!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Always liked Pearson.  I drafted him in Fantasy the year he was drafted as an overager, and have had an eye on him since. 

Not the best foot speed for the current league.  And not great in the IQ department.  He can win puck battles, fearlessly go to the net and burry 15-20 a year, which this team will gladly take. 

He he should also see some healthy PP time.  I’d honestly have him replace Bo on the 1PP as the net front, and have Bo QB PP2 off the half wall.

Considering I’ve wanted Gudbranson gone since he arrived, this is a lovely trade.   I expect we’ll see:

Goldy - Petey- Brock

Pearson - Bo - Leivo

Granny - Gaud - Roo

Im so tired of hearing " when Sutter is back " lol. He reminds me of Richardson.  Decent when in the lineup, which is never. 

38 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Goldy - Petey- Brock

Pearson - Bo - Leivo

Granny - Gaud - Roo

I really don't expect Baer back. The guy needs to prioritize his health. 

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Hey now, don't forget about Bartkowski and Larsen. They were equally as terrible.

Well there's also Pedan, Clendening, Pouliot, Schenn and Del Zotto. It's quite the sorry list.

However I mentioned Sbisa and Gudbranson specifically because they were the only two that were acquired with idea that they were going to be future "core" guys, and we paid a premium for both. The rest were just fillers.

Edited by kanucks25

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Who do you think remains after the summer?? 

I they do this below the young guns are basically waiting for a call up in the case of Injuries again..

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Hughes UFA?? 

Do they trade Tanny? Is huttons better season booked him a seat in the club? Do they resign and trade Eddy? Go for EK?? 

I agree I love the fact that they are being vocal about the D group change. 

TBH, it’s impossible to know who remains because the Canucks don’t have complete control. Who they (or we) might want as UFAs are likely to be too expensive or want to sign with a contender. Who they (or we) want to trade away may not have any takers. Finally, who they (or we) want to keep (aside from Hughes) may get offers that are tempting. Personally, I like Hutton and Stetcher, see Hughes slotting right in and don’t see Tanev or Edler going anywhere. We probably keep Schenn and dump Pouliot, pick up one UFA D and promote someone from Utica. Don’t see EK coming here.

28 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Well there's also Pedan, Clendening, Pouliot, Schenn and Del Zotto. It's quite the sorry list.

However I mentioned Sbisa and Gudbranson specifically because they were the only two that were acquired with idea that they were going to be future "core" guys, and we paid a premium for both. The rest were just fillers.

how the heck did we pay a "premium" for Sbisa? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Even if we did, it was entirely Kesler's fault.

Kesler being a bitch isn't on Benning.

just a bit of revisionist history there by Kanucks25 :lol: the deal was a 1st, Bonino and Sbisa. Sbisa was the throw in. 

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how the heck did we pay a "premium" for Sbisa? 

He targeted Sbisa over other assets he could have gotten from Anaheim.

He specifically said that he saw Sbisa is a future top-4 D-man for us.

e/ And if Sbisa was just a throw-in (as in, Benning lied about what he saw in Sbisa), what awful value we got for Kesler. Either way the trade looks bad on Benning.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Who do you think remains after the summer?? 

I they do this below the young guns are basically waiting for a call up in the case of Injuries again..

Edler Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Hughes UFA?? 

Do they trade Tanny? Is huttons better season booked him a seat in the club? Do they resign and trade Eddy? Go for EK?? 

I agree I love the fact that they are being vocal about the D group change. 

I hope Tanev gets traded.

He's great when healthy, which would be OK on a team deep with defensemen, but we need our d-men to play.

Tanev's value is slipping, and slipping, and slipping....

Tyler Myers??????

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Look how Vegas greeted Stone.  Who the Canucks gonna send to greet Tanner? A barrista, a brewer and a real estate agent?

that's embarrassing....it's like the kid in elementary school who just won't let you forget he's got a brand new pair of shoes.... bunch of clowns  lol

Edited by fecklund
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He targeted Sbisa over other assets he could have gotten from Anaheim.

He specifically said that he saw Sbisa is a future top-4 D-man for us.

e/ And if Sbisa was just a throw-in (as in, Benning lied about what he saw in Sbisa), what awful value we got for Kesler. Either way the trade looks bad on Benning.

man you've got a hate on for Jimbo :lol: 

Kesler left us with few options, and you don't know who else ANA was offering. Sbisa did look like he could develop into a top 4 with some offence, if you care to check his history. You talk a lot about potential in ragging on Jim but for some reason you tend to forget guys he targets did have strong junior showing, good enough to be picked 19th oa. 

• Upvote 2