The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

On 3/24/2022 at 3:08 PM, Quantum said:

At this point, NHL teams have gotten smarter about this. If an NCAA draftee is going to opt for free agency, the team that drafted the player just trades him. It has been happening more and more.

Jack McBain got dealt to Arizona from Minnesota.

Adam Fox got shipped from Calgary to Carolina to NYR.

RJ Umberger was traded to NYR from Vancouver, back in the day, when he refused to sign here.

If Aidan McDonough refuses to sign here, he'll be dealt. I'm not too worried. I think with some of the Canucks cap issues, ELC guys are gonna have a leg up getting roster spots so I won't be shocked if McDonough sees opportunity here in Vancouver and signs here either this year or next year.

Linus Karlsson has said that he wants to sign with Vancouver. I think Vancouver management want him signed. I expect a deal to be done and I will not be surprised if he challenges for a roster spot in the Fall. With Motte traded out, and guys like Chiasson & Richardson not expected back, that opens up a couple of spots. And with the potential that Dickinson could be traded in the summer, could be up to 4 spots up for grabs in the bottom six. And with some combo of Karlsson/Lockwood/Klimovich/Focht vying for spots... it'll be an interesting training camp come this Fall.

Höglander   Pettersson   Karlsson 

The Swedish connection. Let’s go…

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, brian42 said:

How is Linus at faceoffs? Listed as C/RW hoping he’s been playing center and has a good percentage.  If so and he continues to progress would look nice as our 3rd line center. 

Karlsson plays primarily right wing. I can see him on Petey’s wing. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Does Linus play a physical game at all or not really??

Not really. Höglander is probably a more physical player. But he has a good 200’ game, a very smart player with a great accurate shot. His skating has also improved. Hopefully he can take an even bigger step with his skating so he can keep up with Petey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Did a comparison with Victor Olofsson (BUF) and Oskar Lindblom (PHI).

A young developing player scoring over 0.9 PPG in the  has a very high likelihood of making it in the NHL as a 3rd liner or better. Olofsson is a quite common example of a late bloomer, while Lindblom is a more typical case in general (getting to the NHL that is, not getting into his battle with cancer which he seems to have won luckily).

Neither of those two were elite prospects by any means. Lindblom selected in round 5, Olofsson in round 7. It's worth noting that both these players needed a season in the minors but produced at middle six level or better after that. Also worth noting that Lindblom is a very good overall player who contributes more than scoring.

As by coincidence, both these players make 3 mil on their second contracts.

An example of a player with a different path was Anton Rodin who went to AHL/NHL at 21 years old without producing at a high level in the SHL. He went back to Sweden, did produce at elite level and gave it a second try in the NHL but by then he was 25 and had terrible injury luck. On that path, most players either don't make it or become defensive bottom six forwards.

The one red flag for Linus Karlsson is that he spent several seasons in the league below SHL and has only one SHL season. As he took a major step forward that season against much better competition I see it as less of an issue though. 

Of course every player and development path is different and nobody can look into the future, so LK could have both a lower and a higher ceiling compared to the mentioned examples. Typically though, we can expect a middle six forward who can score and be tough to play against down low. As he might need time in the minors it would probably be good to have him here next year instead of him playing one more year in Sweden.

Is this projected path good enough to win the trade vs Burrows or Dahlén? Vs Burrows at that stage of his career definitely yes, but even vs Dahlén it's a yes for me.

Dahlén is a good player but already 25 with kind of a shaky development path and probably already in his prime as a complementary scoring winger. Even though I'm not sure Karlsson will score more my guess is his game will translate better and he'll contribute more and have a longer career vs Dahlén.

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Not really. Höglander is probably a more physical player. But he has a good 200’ game, a very smart player with a great accurate shot. His skating has also improved. Hopefully he can take an even bigger step with his skating so he can keep up with Petey. 

darn. Canucks should be encouraging them to play him at center because the Canucks can always convert him to a winger if needed in the future. if those stats were acurate 53% faceoffs is not tooo bad but I know theres more to playing center than just faceoffs. 

8 hours ago, brian42 said:

darn. Canucks should be encouraging them to play him at center because the Canucks can always convert him to a winger if needed in the future. if those stats were acurate 53% faceoffs is not tooo bad but I know theres more to playing center than just faceoffs. 

I believe someone was saying the 53% FO guy is another Linus Karlsson.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s a different player. 

Yup.

As for Linus Karlsson, he’s won 41/72 this season in the SHL, for a FOW% of 56.94%.

It’s a small number of draws (72), since he plays almost exclusively wing, but he does seem to win at quite a good rate, when he actually is asked to take faceoffs.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2022 at 2:20 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup.

As for Linus Karlsson, he’s won 41/72 this season in the SHL, for a FOW% of 56.94%.

It’s a small number of draws (72), since he plays almost exclusively wing, but he does seem to win at quite a good rate, when he actually is asked to take faceoffs.

I’d probably have him in as RW to start. Put him with a lefty C and he can take strong side draws. 

34 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

Is Karlsson’s season over then? 

I think they’re down 3-1 in the series and will face elimination their next game.

EDIT: team tweet an hour ago translates as “heads up and focus on the next match,” and shows them down 3-1 in the series:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think they’re down 3-1 in the series and will face elimination their next game.

EDIT: team tweet an hour ago translates as “heads up and focus on the next match,” and shows them down 3-1 in the series:

Thank you

On 3/25/2022 at 8:24 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Höglander   Pettersson   Karlsson 

The Swedish connection. Let’s go…

because Petey is so good you're trying to handicap him? :lol:

I doubt Hogs makes it to being a regular first line player. Unless he improves his defensive game and finds some consistency he will likely become expendable. At 21 age is on side for now so there's hope. Karlsson is more likely to spend a year in the AHL to aclimate, work on faceoffs and his defensive game in a larger role. But you never really know until he arrives and we see him in preseason. I'd say the odds are he'll end up a 3rd line player in the NHL and 2nd line would be a real win. But again, you never know until you see a guy play here. He may not make it at all. it's best to temper expectations. Better to be surprised than utterly disappointed.