The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 8/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, -AJ- said:

Would only save us about $1M (or whatever the max amount is for guys in the AHL), so I imagine this only happens if he's genuinely not good enough to make the team.

He's not good enough 31 too slow for NHL pace now.. Waiver him send him to Abby save 1 million..

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

He's not good enough 31 too slow for NHL pace now.. Waiver him send him to Abby save 1 million..

Based on what? We haven't seen him play much in a long time. I'd wager there are very good odds he's a capable 3rd liner or 4th liner at the very worst.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Based on what? We haven't seen him play much in a long time. I'd wager there are very good odds he's a capable 3rd liner or 4th liner at the very worst.

Thats even worse game is getting faster and Pearson was slow 2 yrs ago? Missed almost the entire season last year?

Pearson 31 can't see him fitting in with Tocchet style fast pace roll 4 lines.. 

Canucks need more speed not add slow veteran like Pearson 3.2 million..

Hoglander will come to camp and play like his rookie season, plays the fast gritty pace even though he is small..

Podkolzin is going to make big jump also.

Pearson at best #13 or #14...

Just now, wildcam said:

Thats even worse game is getting faster and Pearson was slow 2 yrs ago? Missed almost the entire season last year?

Pearson 31 can't see him fitting in with Tocchet style fast pace roll 4 lines.. 

Canucks need more speed not add slow veteran like Pearson 3.2 million..

Hoglander will come to camp and play like his rookie season, plays the fast gritty pace even though he is small..

Podkolzin is going to make big jump also.

Pearson at best #13 or #14...

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

What are you basing Pearson as 3rd line winger? He is now 31 always was a step slower but few steps slower now...

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

What are you basing Pearson as 3rd line winger? He is now 31 always was a step slower but few steps slower now...

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

In 2019-20, he was basically a 2nd liner with those numbers. 2020-21 was definitely a down year, but 2021-22's numbers were right in line with 3rd line numbers at 0.5 points-per-game. 2022-23 wasn't good, but a 14-game sample isn't enough to draw any big conclusions.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

In 2019-20, he was basically a 2nd liner with those numbers. 2020-21 was definitely a down year, but 2021-22's numbers were right in line with 3rd line numbers at 0.5 points-per-game. 2022-23 wasn't good, but a 14-game sample isn't enough to draw any big conclusions.

That was the past 4 years ago? He was 27 then now 31 years old for 2023-24 season? 

31 minutes ago, RWJC said:

100% likely to have something to prove. I hope TP rounds out a 3rd line role with club if not traded. 

Always liked Tanner, is a perfect 3rd line winger in my book. Tough to say how he’ll do after missing time like that though 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 8/30/2023 at 11:53 AM, higgyfan said:

If Tanner can make the team, he should play.  He has more value in the bottom 6, than a lot of

other players.  He might even be good enough to play alongside Miller, bringing some grit to the

line.

Beau($4.15m) is not suited for the bottom 6, so if he can't make the top 6, I hope they can trade him;

maybe giving Hogs a chance. They can still move a couple of guys to Abby as well if needed.

Kuzy   Pete   Mik

Hogs   Miller   Bo

Pears  Suter   Gar

Josh  Blue  Pods

Dries

Very interchangeable group of Ws.  Lots of lineup options. I like the lunch bucket approach.

I think the last 4 years there have been some good chemistry developed with our players.  I like Garland and Pods together.  I think Suter is the perfect centre for them.  I like Mikheyev with Petey but any combination of Boeser, Miller and Pearson needs Mikheyev's speed more. That's why I have AB with Petey and Kuzy.  My lines look like this

AB - Petey - Kuzy

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Suter - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Aman - Joshua 

Hughes - Juulsen (until Willander is ready)

Soucy - Hronek 

Hirose - Myers 

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the last 4 years there have been some good chemistry developed with our players.  I like Garland and Pods together.  I think Suter is the perfect centre for them.  I like Mikheyev with Petey but any combination of Boeser, Miller and Pearson needs Mikheyev's speed more. That's why I have AB with Petey and Kuzy.  My lines look like this

AB - Petey - Kuzy

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Suter - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Aman - Joshua 

Hughes - Juulsen (until Willander is ready)

Soucy - Hronek 

Hirose - Myers 

whrze bluegger 

6 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Pretty sure Alain Vigneault retired and was only a head coach and not a GM.

Yeah, that was a typo, but aside from that the question still stands.  I think Dries and Studicka are gone for sure.  And the Canucks like Aman so not sure where Blu fits 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Who would you kick out for Blu? As is this 8s my lineup.   PA will probably make a trade and make room for Blu 

I think Aman will be hard pressed to make the NHL club this year. I expect he'll be in Abbotsford except as an injury call up. Blueger and Suter will fight for 3C with the loser getting 4C. Suter has a higher offensive ceiling, but Blueger is probably the better player overall.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

People really ripped on Pearson a lot before his injury, I think mainly because he didn't score much, had a heft JB cap hit and somehow got top-6 minutes. He may have slowed down but he was still one of our best forecheckers. You just know Tocchet loves Pearson's style of play and will throw him in our top-6 if he does the same as what he did before his injury. He'd always find himself next to Bo, sure he'd suck some offence off the line but boy did he skate hard, check well and defend well. I think Pearson will pair nicely with Boeser and cover up his mistakes, but that is quite a slow line to be fair. 

He'd really be suited best on our 3rd line with Suter/Blueger and then maybe (hopefully) someone like Hoglander.

Regardless, there is always a spot for a veteran cup-winning forechecking, PKing, defensive-first gritty winger who can throw their body.