The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 15, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Zhukini said:

If anyone thinks it’s a coaching problems here, you probably think it’s a coaching problem in Edmonton too right?:lol:

Nope. Not at all. Green is ok. He's just not a good enough coach to be the guy when we need a great coach to lead a rebuilt team in a couple years.

problem with green is not that's he's a bad coach.. but he has the wrong mentality for a coach on a rebuilding team.. rather than coaching to develop player putting them in position to succeed he's coaching to make his record look good and trying to make the playoff.. he's not wrong but it's not great for player development

Wow what has Green done to make you back him so?

He's ok. He's made lots of mistakes. No one league wide thinks he's any better than an ok coach.

Personally I look forward to the Canucks outgrowing him as more young players become stars and we hire a coach with a resume and track record for winning.

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's unfortunate how Tanev got hurt, we miss him when he's not in the lineup. Puck got him just right unfortunately. You never wanna see your guys get hurt.

Opens a door for younger players to get a longer look though headed into the final chapter of the season. I'm gonna take that as a positive. We've got some decisions to make over the next stretch and this gives guys a chance to audition.

Canucks have all these solid left d's.  Limited right hand shots.  They're going to move off of that left d right d and let Hughes play the right side.

48 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I wouldn't trade him. 

I'm not sure people in here know his true value. He's top pair Dman who moves the puck but takes care of his own end. 

The young Dmen coming up in our system are going to need Tanev to take care of them and for them to learn the defensive game. 

You keep him just for Hughes alone.  As smart as Hughes is imagine him learning defensive game by watching taniv every night.  And playing with him. That alone is worth what well get for him in trade.  

i prefer not have Hughes learn fom Tanev lol.. the way Tanev plays the game is what's causing him to be injured every year for anywhere from 25-50% of the season every season. have tanev even played a season where he missed less than 20 games yet? and no he's not a top pairing defenseman.. on the canucks he is.. he's like a willie mitchel decent stay at home defenseman but never going to be a top pairing guy

Just now, Blackberries said:

Wow. This green bashing is really out of left field.  I think hes done a great job with our young guys.

Seriously? Why would you say that? He's ok period. In no possible world has he done a great job at anything. Give your head a shake partner. Losing team. Lots of issues. He's ok. No more.

4 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Wow what has Green done to make you back him so?

He's ok. He's made lots of mistakes. No one league wide thinks he's any better than an ok coach.

Personally I look forward to the Canucks outgrowing him as more young players become stars and we hire a coach with a resume and track record for winning.

Look at the roster. No coach would have a good record with this roster. We’re rebuilding. You can't rebuild and make the playoffs it's one or the other. 

Edmonton has a great coach and their best player is much better than our best player the rest of their roster is similar to ours. 1 more point on the season. Case closed. 

I think Green is a young coach who is still learning and who has made a number of errors.

-  He overplays some of his key players and the result is they burn out and lose effectiveness

-  He and his assistants don't know how to coach the Power Play effectively

-  He hasn't responded to the weakness in his defensive personnel by coaching his forwards to help out better in the D zone

-  He is not effectively coaching the breakout and the zone entry

I like the fact he is clearly popular with the players and he creates a positive atmosphere.  That is a good thing.

I like the way he works with the younger players to motivate them and encourage them to improve their play... without making them bitter or upset.  He uses his benching of the young guys well.

But overall he needs to do a lot of learning if he wants to move up to the top tier of the NHL coaching ranks... he is a long way from being in that group.

17 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i prefer not have Hughes learn fom Tanev lol.. the way Tanev plays the game is what's causing him to be injured every year for anywhere from 25-50% of the season every season. have tanev even played a season where he missed less than 20 games yet? and no he's not a top pairing defenseman.. on the canucks he is.. he's like a willie mitchel decent stay at home defenseman but never going to be a top pairing guy

I think the team should learn from Pettersson and learn from Hughes, but you can't discount what Tanev gives a team when going.  He goes into a corner with two fore checkers and comes out with the puck time after time.  After that, he moves the puck.  

3 minutes ago, Blackberries said:

Wow. This green bashing is really out of left field.  I think hes done a great job with our young guys.

Green has done absolutely nothing to establish himself as even a mediocre coach, nothing but bad decisions and constantly being out coached. He is way over his head and with him we are in for a lot of pain.

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Green has done absolutely nothing to establish himself as even a mediocre coach, nothing but bad decisions and constantly being out coached. He is way over his head and with him we are in for a lot of pain.

Just stop. You look foolish. Literally everyone who simplifies it to “he was outcoached” here has had no clue to what they're talking about. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Just stop. You look foolish. Literally everyone who simplifies it to “he was outcoached” here has had no clue to what they're talking about. 

Red Green, is that you,  Travis” funny uncle.

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Green has shown he can win games when he's rolling out the team in a certain way.  I think injuries are a legit excuse for coach Green who'd like to roll out the team in a certain way.  Where they are in the standings, where they are with their young guys, where they are with their injuries, in the very least coach Green is somewhat experimental.  He's consistently sending out Goldobin, Virtanen, Gaudette over the boards.  No doubt these players are improving.  

Archived