[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 15, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Those of you that “rationalize” Green’s performance based upon our 

roster should ask yourself how Arizona is managing to win

could it actually be coaching ????

Green.... nice guy but not an nhl calibre coach 

get Quenneville in here ASAP JB 

Arizona has been garbage for years, and were worse than us just last year. After all their garbage seasons, they are now a bubble playoff team. Try picking a better f***ing example.

3 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I think you should find the statistical data for that. As far as I can remember, forwards have the highest p/60 at the age of 24. The reason the overall production around 26-27 rises is because of increased ice time.

You're correct. Real prime for forwards is 23-25. The 27 age is just floated around because of focus on UFA status. In reality, once a player hits UFA their best years are already behind them.

Some players develop later, some hold on to their prime longer, but in most cases if you aren't consistent by 23 you probably aren't getting there any time soon.

7 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

We are so bad at shoot outs...

Edler as option #4...why?

I would have liked to see Leivo or Virtanen.

Pistol Pete needs to shoot that puck in OT....He could have walked right in, the D backed right off. Instead, he needed to try set up veteran D Edler, who Sedined it( their piss poor SO efforts as reference)

Missed most of the game but last 5 minutes of 3rd on...did Eriksson really go from healthy scratch to Bo's wing and stay their all game...if so WTF is this team doing?

Sucks that we blew a 2 G lead in the 3rd, wish Demko would have got the start as I would like to see him a bit more to end the year, guess he will just get the back to back games only as Marky has the torch...he deserves it no doubt, but its a lost year....time to play the youth.

GlassMan Tanev barely gets back before another injury...what luck! 

1 hour ago, Law of Goalies said:

Maybe I'm biased but why isn't Virtanen out for the PP or shootout? I don't think granny is any better

Good example of a player who is tied to the CDC whipping post. After Pettersson, 5 of our players failed to score on Blackwood. Shooting 7th means that a bunch of players have failed ( 1/6 is less than average ). Not sure that Granlund is the problem here. ( ps....I like Virtanen in OT, but don't know if he should be picked ahead of too many in the SO )

6 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Those of you that “rationalize” Green’s performance based upon our 

roster should ask yourself how Arizona is managing to win

could it actually be coaching ????

Green.... nice guy but not an nhl calibre coach 

get Quenneville in here ASAP JB 

Isn't Quenneville's coaching style very veteran oriented ? Seems like ( if that's true ) to be the opposite of the kind of coach we need.

Biega has been on a cinderella run since being a regular and scoring way beyond his abilities, but last night he made some big mistakes. Might be worth sitting him and allowing Schenn back into the line up. Maybe Teves or Brisebois gets in next game now that Glassman is hurt

Surely they can put the same sort of effort and technology that they do in creating sticks and helmets into shin pads and skates.

Sprains and tears I understand, these things are caused by momentum and getting joints in bad positions but surely the equipment can be improved to prevent something highly predictable like a hard rubber disk coming at you ankle at high speed.

With the amount of money that goes into this league and the amount they pay players you think the league and PA might chip in a few million dollars in research funds to improve equipment.  Same goes double for NFL.

It is just so stupid and irresponsible the way this league and its players act in regards to safety.  Ill fitting helmets with chin straps down to their neck.  Mouthpieces out of the mouth like Jordan's tongue.  People fight having to wear face masks after how many facial injuries.  Fans calling for any player who throws a questionable hit to have repeat head traumas from some Hobo on skates.  

Yes players accept a lot of risk when they decide to play this game professionally and get rewarded so well in part because of the risk they take but the attitude towards safety on both the part of the league and especially the PA is reprehensible.  To sue the league over head injuries and watch their membership not properly wearing wearing what crappy protective equipment they currently have displays the PA's hypocrisy.  We will take action to try to get money from the league but not to protect our members.

I really find it hard to believe they couldn't devise some sort of modern flexible body armor that could absorb the damage.  The technology is already there in things like G-form pads.  Re-enforce with appropriate hard plates in places like the shins and you are most of the way there.  Yet, the only thing we here is about reducing goalie equipment size.  Even then the degree of engineering and design that goes into goalie equipment is sad.  With available technology you should be able to make effective goalie pads that aren't much bulkier than the average NHL skater's equipment.  

(Go Canucks Go)

2 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Maybe I'm biased but why isn't Virtanen out for the PP or shootout? I don't think granny is any better

50 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Good example of a player who is tied to the CDC whipping post. After Pettersson, 5 of our players failed to score on Blackwood. Shooting 7th means that a bunch of players have failed ( 1/6 is less than average ). Not sure that Granlund is the problem here. ( ps....I like Virtanen in OT, but don't know if he should be picked ahead of too many in the SO )

Jake is 1 for 1 in his career but hasn't had an attempt since 15/16. Guess he hasn't "earned" one under Green yet. 

12 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Hate to say it but perhaps it's time to move on from Tanev, perhaps we need to trade him to a team that has enough depth to be able to have him on the ice for only 50% of their games....

Unfortunately, the time to move him has long passed. I think he's now hit the point with all of his injuries that we'd be lucky to get offered a 3rd for him. Although, with how often he's injured, a 3rd might be more valuable to us as a team than keeping him. 

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Unfortunately, the time to move him has long passed. I think he's now hit the point with all of his injuries that we'd be lucky to get offered a 3rd for him. Although, with how often he's injured, a 3rd might be more valuable to us as a team than keeping him. 

If we can get a third and he leaves with all of his salary take it an run.  Things won’t get better, he’s bashed himself up to the point where it must give the coach migraines wondering how long he’s got him next time he comes back and what to do until then.  Edler comes with the same concerns...at this point I’d rather just play guys that don’t get hurt all the time and give them a chance to improve ..Brisbois, Sautner, Hughes and Woo.. OJ too but not sure he’s not already injury prone.  But still until he plays (OJ) we won’t know.  

Elder will get signed, just hope we don’t make the same mistake DET made the last time they signed Kronwall, and have him until he’s 38.

edit:  I hope that Benning is very active this upcoming draft and uses it to unload anyone he can ... Granlund, Schaller, Sutter, Tanev, Poo, and maybe even JV (if he can get a smart return) this roster needs a serious shaking up.  Go after some college UFAs, find the toughest customers in the AHL that can skate and have upside and bring them in to protect our players.   I know that we have to wait for our prospects to develop and need placeholders until then, let’s toughen the team up at the very least and say goodbye to injury prone players and guys like Granlund...Goldobin maybe too.

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Isn't Quenneville's coaching style very veteran oriented ? Seems like ( if that's true ) to be the opposite of the kind of coach we need.

Give some players for the coach to use.  Can’t make chicken salad out of chicken manure.  

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Surely they can put the same sort of effort and technology that they do in creating sticks and helmets into shin pads and skates.

Sprains and tears I understand, these things are caused by momentum and getting joints in bad positions but surely the equipment can be improved to prevent something highly predictable like a hard rubber disk coming at you ankle at high speed.

With the amount of money that goes into this league and the amount they pay players you think the league and PA might chip in a few million dollars in research funds to improve equipment.  Same goes double for NFL.

It is just so stupid and irresponsible the way this league and its players act in regards to safety.  Ill fitting helmets with chin straps down to their neck.  Mouthpieces out of the mouth like Jordan's tongue.  People fight having to wear face masks after how many facial injuries.  Fans calling for any player who throws a questionable hit to have repeat head traumas from some Hobo on skates.  

Yes players accept a lot of risk when they decide to play this game professionally and get rewarded so well in part because of the risk they take but the attitude towards safety on both the part of the league and especially the PA is reprehensible.  To sue the league over head injuries and watch their membership not properly wearing wearing what crappy protective equipment they currently have displays the PA's hypocrisy.  We will take action to try to get money from the league but not to protect our members.

I really find it hard to believe they couldn't devise some sort of modern flexible body armor that could absorb the damage.  The technology is already there in things like G-form pads.  Re-enforce with appropriate hard plates in places like the shins and you are most of the way there.  Yet, the only thing we here is about reducing goalie equipment size.  Even then the degree of engineering and design that goes into goalie equipment is sad.  With available technology you should be able to make effective goalie pads that aren't much bulkier than the average NHL skater's equipment.  

(Go Canucks Go)

Or just don't block shots in games that mean nothing. Or differently.

The goalie pad stuff, when was the last time you heard of a goalie getting hurt from a shot in the last 4 decades and how many? A good reason for them all to become the "Bilbo Man"?

Hey what a game, a epic battle between the 27th and 28th place teams, a close contest that ended up in OT only because one team scored on itself. Both team a sporting a number of young players, one due to injuries and playing many of their previous 4 years draft picks and the other playing a lot of retirees and AHL players. Goaltending on one team once again kept the game close.

Must be hard on Horvat, but then he is becoming "professional" about it. Boeser is trying hard for that next contract but it still looking like it should be Ehlers money at best, the Nucks should take advantage of the RFA and use a bridge contract.

April 6th is end of season and April 9th the LOTTERY. And maybe something in between or after.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

That would leave us with only one good D pairing the entire season assuming both remain healthy or don’t run out of gas.  Yeah the other two are hurt a lot but there’s a huge drop off in ability once you get by these guys.  That means rookies or our garbage 3rd pairing guys filling out the remaining spots in the top 4.  Throw in you want a rookie goalie to get a bunch of starts and things won’t look pretty.  Yeah you could sign a UFA D, but those will cost big money and term.

Archived