The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Canucks’ youth: good teams win with 26 to 35-year-old players

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

1 hour ago, cdubuya said:

JB can say what he wants but the fact is hes had ample opportunity to find good 26-35 year old players in the last 4 seasons and has not had a whole ton of success

It's pretty hard to have success when you're a bad team with very few assets and players with NTCs.   Here's a question that might give you some perspective, do you think a 26 year Dan Hamhuis would have signed with the current Canucks?  How about Samuelsson or Malholtra?   I don't think you are really grasping how bad things were when Benning took over and how difficult it is to take a team with barely any good assets to a team where free agents are willing to take less money to join.

Edited by Numba9

30 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

I dont know everything, nor do I claim to. I just feel like JB saying stuff like 'good teams win with veteran players' is a bit funny seeing as he has tried and failed (hard) multiple times now to add the type of veterans needed to succeed. If his fanboys want to defend him aimlessly then so be it -- I would like nothing more than to watch him succeed in getting some veteran talent...but I will believe it when I see it.

I’m not sure you watch the games or even pay attention we had multiple injuries to our top players the refs practically gave games to the other teams at times some games we didn’t have puck luck I think you’re here to be an ass that’s it!

Edited by CanuckleHorse

Just now, CanuckleHorse said:

I’m not sure you watch the games or even pay attention we had multiple injuries to our top players the refs practically gave games to the other teams at times some games we didn’t have puck luck I think your here to be an ass that’s it!

oh the old injuries and bad reffing excuse--- haven't heard those ones coupled together in the same sentence in awhile!

9 minutes ago, Numba9 said:

It's pretty hard to have success when your a bad team with very few assets and players with NTCs.   Here's a question that might give you some perspective, do you think a 26 year Dan Hamhuis would have signed with the current Canucks?  How about Samuelsson or Malholtra?   I don't think you are really grasping how bad things were when Benning took over and how difficult it is to take a team with barely any good assets to a team where free agents are willing to take less money to join.

- Samuelsson signed for the money -- he was on record as saying so

I have no idea if those other two would have signed -- I dont know what they value in life. Hammer seemed like a salt of the earth guy who cared more about family and being close to home -- so yes, I guess, I think he woulda been down for the Canucks -- but it's futile for me to argue either way. Same could be said for Manny.

Benning has had lots of chances to improve the veterans on this team. That is my only point. He has tried lots of times as well. The assets he got back / gave up for Kesler and Sutter and Gudbranson had trade value --- and he squandered it. The assets he's given up for Baer and Pedan and Prust and Vey had more trade value than they returned. He has failed to find a diamond in the rough FA signing after 4 years. They are out there. There has been tons of quality players traded in the last 3-4 years that he has not gotten in on. The expansion draft year could have been a feeding frenzy for a GM like JB seeing as we were depleted of talent. GMGM cleaned up. I despised MG but he had a far better track record when it came to trades than JB does.

Edited by cdubuya
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

oh the old injuries and bad reffing excuse--- haven't heard those ones coupled together in the same sentence in awhile!

Yeah now I’m positive you don’t watch the games just a goof troll having his enjoyment out of trying to sound like a fan GFYS!!!!

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, xereau said:

This is not the season to be making those moves.

This core needs to play so well that it draws in the cream of the crop.

2-3 years UFA targets are going to be these right moves.

The Pettersson/Boeser effect.  Check out the UFA D list for the 2021 and 2022 summers.  Juicy

This is where Benning gets into trouble and frustrates the media because what ever plans he may be making are completely dependent upon the opportunities that become available.  He did say that free agents are more interested in the Canucks now since the core seems to be coming together.  We have seen lots of college free agent signings this year.  How does this translate to the interest of professionals?  We'll find out.  Benning totally understands this.

So Benning has added Pearson who went on a bit of a hot streak at the end of the season and is looking like a heck of a match with Horvat.  This is something he says he has been looking for for some time.  The are also not giving up on Baertschi as a top 6 winger.  This is not to say that they will stop trying to upgrade.  I don't think that any of these players are top line players.  Pettersson and Boeser are top line players and Benning has also said that he is looking for another top 6 scoring winger.  Surely he means a top line winger.  Does this happen this offseason?  Maybe

Should this happen now?  If he can find the right player why not?  It would certainly help the Canucks to take the next step as they want and would help the players that they have already to play against more appropriate match ups and TOI.  It helps team depth. 

Clearly, the same scenario would benefit the defense as well and there is a great need for a top 4 RHD.

1 minute ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yeah now I’m positive you don’t watch the games just a goof troll having his enjoyment out of trying to sound like a fan GFYS!!!!

yea and Im not watching the draft lottery either so I guess I wont see the conspiracy in action when we dont win!!!!!

One thing I will say regarding Jim - he isn't the greatest public speaker - however - I believe what he was saying here is when this core group -Petey, Brock, Bo, Gaudette, Jake, Demers are in their prime they will be in the running for the cup - until then - keep adding for depth - one never knows where these undrafted gems might come our way.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

If Roussel and Beagle are very successful signings, then what does that make Mikael Samuelsson? The greatest free agent signing in history? You have no rep to boost with comments like that. 

That DeLorean you've got is a pretty sweet ride

• Haha 2

I don't see how that article and the examples in it, flies in the face of what Benning said. With the exception of Boston, who had relatively competitive teams during their rebuilding years, those other teams had to go through a rebuilding phase where they drafted well and then supported those highly skilled players with veteran players.

Pittsburgh and Chicago in particular sucked for an extended period and got 1st and 2nd overall picks. The Canucks have seemingly got the most out of their draft position and will be on pace to do the same thing that those other teams did. Making moves through free agency is the way to add to the pool of assets, because they are free assets that can be moved with no real negative consequence.

It would be a mistake to shy away from signing those free players, just because they don't always work out. Every contract has inherent risks, but there are enough successes, to make it a desirable tool to supplement the young core that has been built by this management group.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is where Benning gets into trouble and frustrates the media because what ever plans he may be making are completely dependent upon the opportunities that become available.  He did say that free agents are more interested in the Canucks now since the core seems to be coming together.  We have seen lots of college free agent signings this year.  How does this translate to the interest of professionals?  We'll find out.  Benning totally understands this.

So Benning has added Pearson who went on a bit of a hot streak at the end of the season and is looking like a heck of a match with Horvat.  This is something he says he has been looking for for some time.  The are also not giving up on Baertschi as a top 6 winger.  This is not to say that they will stop trying to upgrade.  I don't think that any of these players are top line players.  Pettersson and Boeser are top line players and Benning has also said that he is looking for another top 6 scoring winger.  Surely he means a top line winger.  Does this happen this offseason?  Maybe

Should this happen now?  If he can find the right player why not?  It would certainly help the Canucks to take the next step as they want and would help the players that they have already to play against more appropriate match ups and TOI.  It helps team depth. 

Clearly, the same scenario would benefit the defense as well and there is a great need for a top 4 RHD.

I don't think Benning nor FA give a rats ass about what passes for journalists in Vancouver.  Honestly, I think both him and TG get a kick out of whipping them up into a frenzy.  

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

- A 29 year old agitator for 4 years x 3 million, what a steal!

- Beagle is overpaid and his term was way too long. That signing will bite us in the ass for sure. Not really sure why you brought it up.

- Wow, Schenn is not a career AHLer anymore, what a coup getting him off waivers. He will turn this franchise around in a hurry! Oh wait, we traded Del Z who later fetched a 6th round pick.... oops

- Leivo is probably the best trade he has made as a GM...that is not good enough.

- Granlund was net positive ..... yes, but that doesn't say much given what Shinkaruk turned out to be. One could argue JB missed his chance to cash in on Granny after his 20 goal season. He has regressed hard since then.

Hey Big Guy ……….throttle back a little

Roussel was a glue guy this year.....not only an agitator, but a policeman too...….maybe not in a traditional way...….but opponents always knew when they crossed the line, because Roussel would be over sticking them, and chirping...…….he back it up too! Players respect that.....

Beagle had 700 + F/O's and was good on 56%, which was good for 11 spot in entire the NHL, that and he played his minutes against top lines...….so IMO, I think you are a little off on that. He also bring a little swagger...…..

Schenn…..honestly, don't you think he did what was expected of him? He was a great pick up for $800,000. Great for the kids in Utica, and did pretty much the same, when called upon on here.

Leivo was a good discount pick up, and Pearson looks to be good value as well.....To be honest......Vye and Eriksson were bad trades, and the Gudbranson trade was a kicker, but Gudbranson got us Pearson, so to me it was a wash. Just keep in mind that Pittsburgh wanted him for the Playoffs, so he has value......I think that the other trades have been good, as Baertschi, and Granlund have at the very least been better than the picks used to get them...….Benning is not scotty Bowman, but IMO, he has improved.....

So, other than the Virtanen pick, which is still a wash, because he is still young and has talent, Benning has done better than his pick position, on all. (I still think Juolevi will be fine, when he gets here)……...can't be any worse than Pool Party, and he was looked at as a slam dunk......I think there is always second guessing, and some of it is warranted, but over all, Jim rebuild is coming along great...….and that comes from a Tanker.

I would also say, that Benning was really handcuffed when he got here, by NTC's and the Sedin's, who were declining, and were untradeable, in the fact there was 2 of them, with NMC's, and Aqualini and the fans would have lynched him......and I know, because I was calling for them to be traded and I still have the rope marks on my neck to prove it. 

Overall...…..I would give Benning a solid B, as he has only been 5 years, and has almost transformed his team completely over that time......in my life time, I have not seen it done so quickly many times......and I got a few notches on my belt.

To your point...no not perfect, but he has done a good job...…….personally, I am really looking forward from now to mid -summer...….I am hoping so, in any case....I think you will see many changes, and we will not agree with all...…………..I am a scorched earth guy.....but I am warming up to his moves.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, cdubuya said:

I think its just your rose colored glasses distorting perception again

I'd say they are about where I expected they'd be.......I'd hoped for them to be healthy to see how high they fly this early into the new core, but it wasn't meant to be.  I suspect if they had, we'd be getting ready for playoff hockey in two days instead of the lottery.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't think Benning nor FA give a rats ass about what passes for journalists in Vancouver.  Honestly, I think both him and TG get a kick out of whipping them up into a frenzy.  

I agree.  That's not what I'm saying here. 

I'm saying that if Benning adds a top line forward, it depends on the opportunity.  If the opportunity is there and the price is ok, it's a good idea imo

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd say they are about where I expected they'd be.......I'd hoped for them to be healthy to see how high they fly this early into the new core, but it wasn't meant to be.  I suspect if they had, we'd be getting ready for playoff hockey in two days instead of the lottery.

Congrats....took the high road hey! LOL

Yes, I agree with you and as a Tanker, I was very afraid, we wouldn't loose enough......the team looked better than their record...….they beat some good teams this year.

• Upvote 1

Almost all those players and their respective teams mentioned by the OP, save for Boston, were drafted in the top three. Highly regarded and deemed franchise building prospects. We haven't had a franchise player since Trevor Linden, 2nd overall his draft year. As a matter of fact, he's the only one!

Seems JB is going for the Boston way. Good drafting with higher draft players shining. A bit of luck of course is involved. Some of our later picks might surprise!

Of course could luck out and get a top three either this Tuesday or future drafts. That'll change things for sure!

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree.  That's not what I'm saying here. 

I'm saying that if Benning adds a top line forward, it depends on the opportunity.  If the opportunity is there and the price is ok, it's a good idea imo

Agree completely