The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Hogtown

This is a repeat of yesterday's TBay proposal. Basically we take advantage of a deeper franchise, feeling the cap squeeze. Leaf fan(on HFboards) was summarizing their cap-scenario. With Horton(LTIR) appears they've got about 12 mill, with 18 skaters. Then sign Marner(good freeken luck!)..they're looking at MAYBE, if lucky,  having a 21 man roster.

In July they pay an 8 mill bonus to Nylander..then his cap will be higher than cash owed. Under 25 mill, for 5 yrs left, so I could see someone sending them a coupla' cheaper pieces.

Basically they're gonna get screwed hard next 2 or 3 deals they make. Seems inevitable. So between TBay & TO, we should give both low-ball offers, & see who bites first!

Van: Tanev(retain 2 mill, 1 season), Granlund, Sautner or Brise, 2020 4th r pick

TO: Zaitsev(they retain 800k, x 6 yrs), Kapanen, 2019 3rd r pick

Maybe make that 3rd a 2nd?! Taking Zaitsev would be a huge help for them. I think the guy would be okay, if paired with Edler or Hutton. Also Tram might be happy with an extra Russki-bud.

Imagine upgrading Granlund's pedestrian speed, into Kapanen's Ferrari-gear! If we keep Jake, throw him onto the LW.

These players are RFAs and need to be resigned. What is their value? If it's under $4m, it's probably easier to offer sheet them. Compensation would be a 2nd round pick.

Offer sheet Kapanen $4m, 5 years. $20m total. It's similar or slightly less than what Dvorak ($4.45m x6), Lindholm ($4.85m x6), Perron ($4m x 4) and Wennberg ($4.9 x6)  have signed fairly recently. 

Would Toronto match?

Yeah, it would be nice if we could somehow fleece one of the cap troubled teams (Toronto, Winnipeg, Tampa) but I am not sure it is going to be very easy. In Toronto's case, they will do whatever they need to do to get rid of Zaitsev, Marleau and Kadri to make sure they can re-sign Kapanen and Johnsson and fit under the cap.As a last resort, I believe they would trade Nylander, Kappanen and/or Johnsson for 1st round picks and I am willing to bet they would find lots of takers for these guys. They could then use a 1st round pick to offer up to a team willing to take Zaitsev off their hands. That might be something we could get in on.

It is really going to be interesting to see what some of these teams do to escape their cap hell.

Just now, Pepe Silvia said:

These players are RFAs and need to be resigned. What is their value? If it's under $4m, it's probably easier to offer sheet them. Compensation would be a 2nd round pick.

Offer sheet Kapanen $4m, 5 years. $20m total. It's similar or slightly less than what Dvorak ($4.45m x6), Lindholm ($4.85m x6), Perron ($4m x 4) and Wennberg ($4.9 x6)  have signed fairly recently. 

Would Toronto match?

I think Toronto would match and then promptly trade Kapanen for a 1st round pick. I really think it would take more than a $4 M offer to get Kapanen signed here and I am sure his agent would play our offer off against other teams to get a better offer.

Have never liked/considered the offer sheet option. Van has enough probs with reffs/media/image-trashing garbage. Take this option, & we'll never hear the end of it.

Then as your ELC's age up, you've set the table for retaliatory-hijinks. Like paying the VISA with Mastercard...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I think Toronto would match and then promptly trade Kapanen for a 1st round pick. I really think it would take more than a $4 M offer to get Kapanen signed here and I am sure his agent would play our offer off against other teams to get a better offer.

That was my next question, would Kapanen even sign for that amount. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't trade a first for Kapanen. Maybe teams that are closer to contending would, not for us though.

2 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

That was my next question, would Kapanen even sign for that amount. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't trade a first for Kapanen. Maybe teams that are closer to contending would, not for us though.

Yeah, I wouldn't for our 10th this year either unless Toronto sweetened the deal. By the way, I think Kapanen will be trying to get a contract somewhere near what Nick Schmaltz just got........$5.8 M per year. Not sure he will get that but I would think his agent will be pushing for it.

I'm all for taking advantage of TOR. I imagine they have untouchables (Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Rielly), but Kapanen or Johnsson would be nice to add to the Canucks roster. Not really interested in Nylander, Kadri or Gardiner. They're going to want to shed salary, so I'm guessing the prospects are off the table.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, I wouldn't for our 10th this year either unless Toronto sweetened the deal. By the way, I think Kapanen will be trying to get a contract somewhere near what Nick Schmaltz just got........$5.8 M per year. Not sure he will get that but I would think his agent will be pushing for it.

if i were kapanen

i'd be asking the leafs for a deal similar to what they paid wee willie nylander

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van/Hogtown
17 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Well, they would have to keep him for at least one year if they match it (as per rules), so he'd be stuck in T.O. for one more year.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Well, they would have to keep him for at least one year if they match it (as per rules), so he'd be stuck in T.O. for one more year.

Good point. I guess the Leafs would have to be more proactive in determining if they could sign Kapanen at a salary they could fit under the cap prior to July 1st. If they determined they would have to meet the player's demands and, that would not fit their cap, they would likely sign him to his demands prior to July 1st and then proceed to trade him. That way you would circumvent the 1 year no trade rule associated with RFA offer sheets.

20 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Would Toronto match?

If they are smart, yes. 4mil per is pretty much high end 3rd liner dollars. If Kapanen's agent is smart he is looking for near 5mil per. Kapanen can easily play 2nd line on a playoff team imo. If Benning could pull of this trade it'd be amazing. We are essentially giving up a bunch of pieces that won't or shouldn't be on this roster next season. If anything we should be giving up the higher pick, not them. We are getting the best player and the best pick. 

Once the Laffs get bounced in 7, HFBoards will light up with trading off their young skill. That fanbase will go bipolar, like the Kessel-fiasco. Huge media-fanfare is great when you're winning, but if that tide dramatically turns, the waves of criticism will force them into panic moves.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:45 AM, c00kies said:

AHAA.  So the trick would be to offer sheet two of there players that have value.  

I'm kind of against offer sheets but that would be cute . 

• Haha 1