The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

16-month-old boy dies after being left in hot car for 9 hours in Burnaby

DonLever

42 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, that is what you took from that?   I guess you were there and know exactly what happened then.   I could see something easily occur where one parent assumed the other one took charge or vice versa - perhaps after a long night shift or one of their own parents is ailing and they have run ragged.   Good God how judgmental you are (and others here too) one two people who likely just started the process of having their entire lives ruined by this tragic event.   While there is no 'excuse', just having to live with this (if they do - stats would indicate at least one of them isn't around to live their own natural life span) is beyond the worst punishment anyone could dream up for a worst enemy.   This is sad - very sad - but likely a horrible error brought about by no malicious intent.   Of course the facts may prove otherwise but I would imagine in the majority of these situations, a simply horrible error occurred that cannot be undone, cannot be explained but is something that could likely happen to just about any of the "holier than thou" people weighing in and piling on two people who now have a living hell to deal with.

For all you who judge, I trust your perfect lives from here on go without horrible error as if you judge strangers this harshly....

No one here is claiming to be perfect, as your narrative hopes to paint. That's just not the case.

The fact that you think that this could happen to anyone is odd. Most parents, when "assuming the other one took charge" would take the boy out of the car seat and bring him to the other parent, rather than leaving the child in the car and hoping that the transfer was successful. Personally, that's the only way that type of transfer of parental duty should ever occur. I've done it, probably a few hundred times when my sons were younger. Leaving them in the car was never an option nor considered. It was lunacy, especially when they were too young to be capable of freeing themselves from the car seat restraints and operating a car door.

As I've stated previously, if the father was held against his will or had a personal medical emergency that rendered him incapacitated for that 9 hour time period, I completely sympathize with him and would gladly eat my words. That would mean that he lost his child and truly was incapable of doing anything about it due to a circumstance.

In the time I've had my sons, my wife and I have had various ups and downs in life that at times consumed our time and to a certain degree, our minds. Even during those times, the safety and well-being of our children remained paramount, and not because we're holier than thou or whatever assertion you've pulled out of your hat. It's because we care about our children enough that we choose to make their well-being the top priority in our minds at all times.

Did we leave an over or stove on? Sure.

Leave the car unlocked? A few times.

Forget our wallet, phone, keys somewhere? More than once.

Leave our kids in a car with no airflow on a hot day for an hour longer than the average person is at work for? I can't fathom that.

• Upvote 4

Lady in Maryland left 7 kids in her locked car while she went shopping.  She's been arrested and charged with more charges incoming.  She'll be losing her freedom for a while.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/child-calls-911-report-being-left-hot-car-6-other-n1005111

A Maryland mother's shopping trip ended in her being hauled off to jail after a young child called 911 to say that he and six other kids had been left in a hot car by themselves, authorities said.

Charles County deputies received the call just after 1 p.m. on Friday. The child told a 911 dispatcher he did not know where they were, but authorities were able to trace the call to a mall parking lot in St. Charles, Maryland, the Charles County Sheriff's Office said in a press release.

The seven children, ages 2 to 4, were found in the vehicle, which had its windows rolled up. Authorities said the kids had been left unattended for at least 20 minutes.

"Officers helped the children out of the vehicle and Charles County Fire/EMS provided treatment on the scene," the sheriff's office said.

According to WJLA, the kids were "scared" and "sweaty." Temperatures in the area climbed up to around 80 degrees on Friday. Authorities believe the 4-year-old used a phone left in the car to call for help, according to the outlet.

"It is against the law to leave a child under the age of 8 unattended inside a motor vehicle if the caregiver is out of sight of the child unless a reliable person at least 13-years-old remains with the child," the sheriff's office said.

"It is also dangerous to leave anyone, including pets, inside a motor vehicle especially as outside temperatures become warmer. The temperature inside a parked car can quickly rise to extremely high and even fatal levels in a short period of time."

A 37-year-old woman arrived back at the car about 10 minutes after police. The woman, who is the mother of two of the children and was babysitting the others, was arrested and charged with confinement of children inside a motor vehicle. Authorities said they were not releasing the woman's name to protect the children's identities.

Additional charges are pending against the woman, the sheriff's office said.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Or you could eat a big, fat, bag of D.....

.......oritos. 

Juvenile but clever.  However my point still stands.  You're an adult admittedly crying over words and a story on a message board, and because it offends your delicate sensibilities you want the thread to be shut down when all you need to do is stop clicking on it and reading. 

The actual adults who can emotionally handle real world events can then choose to continue to read and comment on the story rather than stick their heads in the sand.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Juvenile but clever.  However my point still stands.  You're an adult admittedly crying over words and a story on a message board, and because it offends your delicate sensibilities you want the thread to be shut down when all you need to do is stop clicking on it and reading. 

The actual adults who can emotionally handle real world events can then choose to continue to read and comment on the story rather than stick their heads in the sand.

Yeah i had to dumb it down a bit for the target audience. I was gonna go full knock-knock but i didnt wanna have to explain the joke. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Yeah i had to dumb it down a bit for the target audience. I was gonna go full knock-knock but i didnt wanna have to explain the joke. 

You went from clever to insulting the entire board.  Not the wisest move.

52 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Haha did i though? 

Pretty funny coming from the guy using my emotional response thinking about my child dying painfully, to belittle. Real classy like. 

Not belittling.  Just pointing out that you had a choice. You chose to subject yourself to an emotional thread.  If I see someone punching themself in the face, I'll tell them to stop doing that.  If they continue, that's on them no matter the reason why they are doing it.

43 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not belittling.  Just pointing out that you had a choice. You chose to subject yourself to an emotional thread.  If I see someone punching themself in the face, I'll tell them to stop doing that.  If they continue, that's on them no matter the reason why they are doing it.

Even if they're wearing a Tom Brady jersey? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Even if they're wearing a Tom Brady jersey? :ph34r:

Heck no!  I'll hand him my tire iron after wiping my prints from it and tell him to go to town on himself.  :lol:

Edited by SabreFan1

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Heck no!  I'll hand him my tire iron after wiping my prints from it and tell him to go to town on himself.  :lol:

I was thinking along the same lines...."Would you like to borrow my brass knuckles?"

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tragedy strikes again

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/baby-girl-dies-after-shes-left-in-hot-van-outside-day-care-for-nearly-5-hours/ar-AABKYTF?ocid=spartandhp

"

A baby girl died after she was left in a scorching hot van outside a Jacksonville, Florida, day care for nearly five hours on Wednesday, officials said.

Deputies were sent around 1 p.m. to the Ewing's Love & Hope Preschool and Academy, where they found a baby girl -- a few months old -- unconscious and not breathing, Jacksonville Sheriff's Assistant Chief Brian Kee said at a news conference.

(MORE: 2-year-old boy rescued from hot car in dramatic moment caught on video)

The baby had been in a van outside the day care from about 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Kee said.

It's believed she suffered a "heat-related injury," Kee said. Her name was not released.

(MORE: Baby girl dies after being left in family car for hours in possible hot car case)

No arrests have been made but investigators are meeting with prosecutors to determine what charges are appropriate, Kee said.

No other children were hurt, Kee said, adding that interviews were ongoing.

The temperature reached 92 degrees in Jacksonville on Wednesday.

(MORE: 2-year-old boy dies after found in hot car outside his Sacramento home)

ABC News' call to the day care was not immediately returned.

"We are all just beyond devastated," Amber Rollins, director of the national nonprofit KidsAndCars.org, told ABC News on Wednesday.

The group is advocating for mandatory alarm technology in cars.

(MORE: 'Look before you lock': Officials warn parents after 9 kids die from being left in hot cars)

"We have to do more," Rollins said. "This cannot continue to happen week after week, year after year when the solution is right at our fingertips."

Hot car deaths reached a record level last year with at least 52 children killed, according to KidsAndCars.org.

Just this week, a 2-year-old boy was rescued after he was left in a hot car in Georgia.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:10 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, that is what you took from that?   I guess you were there and know exactly what happened then.   I could see something easily occur where one parent assumed the other one took charge or vice versa - perhaps after a long night shift or one of their own parents is ailing and they have run ragged.   Good God how judgmental you are (and others here too) one two people who likely just started the process of having their entire lives ruined by this tragic event.   While there is no 'excuse', just having to live with this (if they do - stats would indicate at least one of them isn't around to live their own natural life span) is beyond the worst punishment anyone could dream up for a worst enemy.   This is sad - very sad - but likely a horrible error brought about by no malicious intent.   Of course the facts may prove otherwise but I would imagine in the majority of these situations, a simply horrible error occurred that cannot be undone, cannot be explained but is something that could likely happen to just about any of the "holier than thou" people weighing in and piling on two people who now have a living hell to deal with.

For all you who judge, I trust your perfect lives from here on go without horrible error as if you judge strangers this harshly....

On 5/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

It was an error - it was not intentional.   I don't have empathy for the parents per se - but I do understand that this kind of tragic event could occur to almost ANYONE even those who profess such perfection and outrage.   I felt physically ill when I read this (and similar stories) and I could not think of a more tragic ending to a life in terms of needless and sad - particularly given the age of the child and knowing he would be looking up for someone to get him until he passed out....it makes me ill.   HOWEVER, some of the posts in here make it sound like someone did this on purpose and/or this is someone no "proper" parent would ever allow to happen.    EVERYONE is capable of errors - including horrific ones.   I have seen nothing more in any media available to me here that would indicate that this is anything more than a worst nightmare and likely a tragic error brought about by most likely having too much to think about.    For everyone of the saints who claim this could never happen to them - I hope they are right and never have to be judged in the same manner they are judging total strangers.

This isn't about empathy - this is about piling onto what is the most horrifying thing these two individuals could ever have had a nightmare about but are now facing and to say this is "whoops" is, to me, so incredibly dismissive as to come across as beyond holier than thou.    Put it this way, could I forgive someone for doing this to my child - I doubt it and I even doubt I could go on living....but I don't judge a stranger for what they are going through as I suspect it is a similar feeling to what I would have.    

You're thinking of the parents.

I'm thinking of the little boy who relied on them.

I don't care what the reason (excuse) is - hey, I raised two kids on my own while helping care for a Mom who'd been paralyzed by stroke.

There simply is NOTHING that you can offer to me that makes this in any way acceptable.  TWO parents - despite what their "reasons" were, someone had to "check in" on a toddler over that span.  Or communicated better to make sure someone had.

Their overlooking that is inexcusable to me. 

This is the MOST IMPORTANT JOB YOU HAVE.  Nothing else takes precedent and if you're dog tired, you still make sure your child is accounted for.  You don't put your head on that pillow until you have.  Not just "assumed" someone else has - YOU have.

Not holier than thou...just devastated that a baby boy is gone in a horrific and senseless/preventable tragedy.  Someone has to answer for that...he deserves it.

The parents do have to live with this.  I'm sorry for that end of things - but their boy doesn't get that opportunity.  To "live" with their mistake...because he's dead.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, MystifyNCrucify said:

Stop the forest fire that is social media, who prey on anger and sadness to sell “click bait” advertisements. 

Let the full story reveal itself, if it does, before passing judgement. 

If it doesnt? 

You be god damned glad its not you having to go through this hellish situation and hope you never have to. 

End this thread please. 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:04 PM, MystifyNCrucify said:

End the thread. 

This thread brings awareness to a tragic situation that may, one day, remind someone to not leave/forget a kid in a hot car that they die in. 

Based on that, I'm leaving it open. 

This is about children, not parents, for me.

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering if those who are pleading the parents' case would offer the same empathy if the child had been placed in daycare?

I somehow don't think so.

Some may find my firm stance in this abrasive and soapbox but, when it comes to kids (and animals), there is nothing more important to me.   That is the focus for me, especially when they die senseless, traumatic deaths that could (should) have been prevented.   

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're thinking of the parents.

I'm thinking of the little boy who relied on them.

I don't care what the reason (excuse) is - hey, I raised two kids on my own while helping care for a Mom who'd been paralyzed by stroke.

There simply is NOTHING that you can offer to me that makes this in any way acceptable.  TWO parents - despite what their "reasons" were, someone had to "check in" on a toddler over that span.  Or communicated better to make sure someone had.

Their overlooking that is inexcusable to me. 

This is the MOST IMPORTANT JOB YOU HAVE.  Nothing else takes precedent and if you're dog tired, you still make sure your child is accounted for.  You don't put your head on that pillow until you have.  Not just "assumed" someone else has - YOU have.

Not holier than thou...just devastated that a baby boy is gone in a horrific and senseless/preventable tragedy.  Someone has to answer for that...he deserves it.

The parents do have to live with this.  I'm sorry for that end of things - but their boy doesn't get that opportunity.  To "live" with their mistake...because he's dead.

This thread brings awareness to a tragic situation that may, one day, remind someone to not leave/forget a kid in a hot car that they die in. 

Based on that, I'm leaving it open. 

This is about children, not parents, for me.

I think the real issue is that we feel the need to remind people to use common sense. 

Stop putting warning labels on things.

“Yes your coffee is hot. No you cant simultaneously blowdry your hair while in the bath. No, you shouldnt drink the urinal water.”

it will sort itself out. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I think the real issue is that we feel the need to remind people to use common sense. 

Stop putting warning labels on things.

“Yes your coffee is hot. No you cant simultaneously blowdry your hair while in the bath. No, you shouldnt drink the urinal water.”

it will sort itself out. 

I think that (sort of) touches on the fact that I really am not on board with them giving a name/syndrome to this.

Come on now, let's not so easily excuse the death of children "because".....

I fear that it just makes it "ok".  It's really not.  If the parents struggle for the rest of their lives after losing their child this way, at least they get the opportunity to do so.  

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think that (sort of) touches on the fact that I really am not on board with them giving a name/syndrome to this.

Come on now, let's not so easily excuse the death of children "because".....

I fear that it just makes it "ok".  It's really not.  If the parents struggle for the rest of their lives after losing their child this way, at least they get the opportunity to do so.  

I still wanna get a video of someone scooping urinal cakes in their mouth. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm wondering if those who are pleading the parents' case would offer the same empathy if the child had been placed in daycare?

I somehow don't think so.

Some may find my firm stance in this abrasive and soapbox but, when it comes to kids (and animals), there is nothing more important to me.   That is the focus for me, especially when they die senseless, traumatic deaths that could (should) have been prevented.   

I think tragedies happen and I don't feel I am the judge of such events when people's lives are destroyed.  No question children put in the care of adults have the absolute expectation of care and safety but somethings things happen that simply happen.   It isn't something ANYONE wanted, or planned for or even in some of the most tragic events, could have prevented if they did things "right" 99 times out of 100 because sometimes bad crap just happens.    

It isn't so much about empathy as deciding who gets to be judge.   I could not agree more that all needless death/suffering should be prevented and to children, it is even more so an absolute.   I also know of people who have had their lives ruined by events that can only be classified as tragic and I do not feel my judgement of them is either fair or even valid.   

I align with your focus but I stop short of judging others as I am not in their shoes of grief beyond understanding.    IF one of your children when they were  younger somehow for the briefest second of your distraction ran away out of character and out of all logic and was struck by a bus - would that be the same lack of parenting care and attention?   If you can say that 100% of all time no such possible outcome could have ever happened to your kids on your watch then I say you are a revelation among parents.

By the grace of God go I.