The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elite Keeper League 2019/2020 -[4 GM Positions Available]

Relyt Krets

17 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Can offer sheeted players rights be traded? I spoke with Tylez on this before. I was going to offer him a pick for the rights to get him. (after the oversheet) but he said it is not allowed in the CBA. What is the ruling on this?

Why not. There still my rights until the time elapses. Once I find a trade I can sign him then move him

Edited by Snapshot85

43 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Why not. There still my rights until the time elapses. Once I find a trade I can sign him then move him

I would be happy to send you a pick for his rights if its permitted. But our interpretation of the rule was that was not permitted. I felt bad you had been offersheeted back to back and wanted to help you out of the situation as a new GM. Unfortunately every scenario we discussed would not work within the confines of the CBA.  If Po can find a solution and it is permitted I would definitely send you a pick for him. 

EKL CBA Rules:

Spoiler

3.8.2a - Qualifying Offers
In order to retain the rights of a Restricted Free Agent, teams must submit a qualifying offer. To do so, simply contact the player agent and express your intent. Qualifying offers will mimic the real NHL, though it is not necessary for General Managers to remember the guidelines (the player agent will handle this). Qualifying offers are recognized by the league as valid one-year contract offers and may be accepted by the player as such. Any player that fails to accept their qualifying offer before July 1st will become an RFA.

3.8.2b - Offer Sheets and Compensation

Players who enter the Restricted Free Agency phase are eligible for offer sheets starting July 1st. Offer sheets allow teams to offer contracts to RFAs held by other teams. If a player chooses to sign an offer sheet, the team that holds their rights has 7 days to either match the offer and sign the player, or let them sign elsewhere and receive compensation. After 7 days, the player will sign with the team that tendered the offer sheet. 

The RFA compensation guidelines are as follows:

Less than $1,000,000 - No compensation
        $1,000,000 to $1,999,999 - 3rd round pick
    $2,000,000 to $3,499,999 - 2nd round pick
    $3,500,000 to $5,499,999 - 1st and 3rd round picks
    $5,500,000 to $6,999,999 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks
    $7,000,000 to $8,999,999 - Two 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd round picks
    $9,000,000 or greater - Two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rd round picks

To tender an offer sheet, a team must own all original picks necessary for their offer. For example, a team looking to make an offer with a $3.6M AAV must own both their original first and third round picks for the next entry draft.

As per NHL rules: 

Spoiler

Effect of the salary cap[edit]

Prior to the 2004–05 NHL lockout, teams could spend as much or as little as they wanted, therefore most offer sheets were matched. This caused offers to restricted free agents to be rare to avoid ill will amongst general managers; there were no offer sheets made in the six years prior to the lockout.[3] Beginning with the 2005 NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, the NHL assigned a salary cap ceiling and floor for each season, so teams must spend money more wisely. This means it is more likely that general managers will offer a contract to a younger player with potential that their team does not see as much value in matching, rather saving money for other players.[4] This also leads to teams signing their own players to long-term contracts before they are eligible for restricted free agency, possibly locking them in at a lower rate than they will have to pay later, depending on each player's future performance; contracts cannot be renegotiated under the current CBA.[5][6] A potential benefit to a player whose current team matches an offer sheet is that the player cannot be traded for the next calendar year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

According to CBA this is why I could not trade him for a pick. It is against the NHL CBA which we follow here in EKL. So snap would need to move another forward and keep the forward in question for a full calendar year before he could move the player. I wanted to help you out and still do. But the league rules as they have been used to this date prohibit it.

52 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I would be happy to send you a pick for his rights if its permitted. But our interpretation of the rule was that was not permitted. I felt bad you had been offersheeted back to back and wanted to help you out of the situation as a new GM. Unfortunately every scenario we discussed would not work within the confines of the CBA.  If Po can find a solution and it is permitted I would definitely send you a pick for him. 

I call BULL.Your offer sheet was a joke and should never have been accepted at under a million without compensation.... after the player had sat for 15 games already. But it was.

I wont discuss this anymore.... because you wont be getting him anyways.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Can offer sheeted players rights be traded? 

Wording is everything: NO. However a matched offer sheet is different than a current offer sheet. Technically I see that the GM may choose to match at which point the offering club has nothing to do with the player any longer. 

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

There could be some reason not to allow it in the CBA. Wording is everything and I feel I have enough life experience, education and executive experience in the real world to judge the verbiage in the CBA accordingly. 

22 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

If Po can find a solution and it is permitted I would definitely send you a pick for him. 

It is best to negotiate in private. Now 29 other GM's know that the starting offer is a pick. 

Having tried to quickly move to answer your many questions, I got up to scour our CBA. It is true that in the NHL's 222 page rule book that they may not trade a player who was matched on his offersheet. We don't and can't follow the NHL exactly on anything perfectly as we are missing 208 pages of their rules. there are many simplified  and cut short rules we have that you can find on the 14 pages of our cba and so an NHL rule is not an EKL rule unless it specifically says so in the cba.

Words matter. I will try to explain briefly but fully.

3.8.2a - Qualifying Offers

In order to retain the rights of a Restricted Free Agent, teams must submit a qualifying offer. To do so, simply contact the player agent and express your intent. Qualifying offers will mimic the real NHL, though it is not necessary for General Managers to remember the guidelines (the player agent will handle this). Qualifying offers are recognized by the league as valid one-year contract offers and may be accepted by the player as such. Any player that fails to accept their qualifying offer before July 1st will become an RFA.

"Qualifying Offers" will mimic the real NHL. ~the player got a Q.O. of 850k before july 1st, but the team had no GM to finalize a deal until last week when a GM was hired by the owners, but the Q.O. was offered and it was 850k. I believe that if the team had a GM the player would have been signed, but that is not the case and is irrelevant to this matter today. Since the player didn't accept the Q.O. by July 1st he became an RFA.

Now after that Q.O. was turned down and the player became a holding out RFA he got an offer sheet.

3.8.2b - Offer Sheets and Compensation

Players who enter the Restricted Free Agency phase are eligible for offer sheets starting July 1st. Offer sheets allow teams to offer contracts to RFAs held by other teams. If a player chooses to sign an offer sheet, the team that holds their rights has 7 days to either match the offer and sign the player, or let them sign elsewhere and receive compensation. After 7 days, the player will sign with the team that tendered the offer sheet. 

The RFA compensation guidelines are as follows:

Less than $1,000,000 - No compensation

$1,000,000 to $1,999,999 - 3rd round pick

$2,000,000 to $3,499,999 - 2nd round pick

$3,500,000 to $5,499,999 - 1st and 3rd round picks

$5,500,000 to $6,999,999 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks

$7,000,000 to $8,999,999 - Two 1sts, 2nd, and 3rd round picks

$9,000,000 or greater - Two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rd round picks

The player held out for roughly 1 of 6 months of hockey before signing an offer sheet for 100k more than the 850k he turned down.

The offer sheet stands valid since it has been ruled that none of the deals, trades, claims or signings would be voided by me earlier in the thread and I still believe that is the correct course of action. 

However I see nothing stopping a GM from matching the offer and carrying on with business as usual managing his club. 

Looking back I see the GM has until November 8th to decide to accept the compensation from the guideline: "NO COMPENSATION" or else match the offer sheet to keep the player. 

While looking at that GM's team sheet, the team he just took over several days ago: if he chooses to match he will have to make a roster move to clear room for the player. 

There are many options available to accomplish that if the GM chooses to do so. 

As far as I can see a possible trade is one of those options and that is my ruling after reading this portion of the CBA too many times since that offer sheet was posted in thread. I see nothing barring a trade of a player whose offer sheet was matched. 

I also see nothing that stops the offer sheeting team from being the potential trade partner. But there are 30 teams that are in that category. Good luck to all of you, being the sole adjudicator of this item my club will not be making an offer or accepting an offer for the player in question as 100% transparency is absolutely the prime directive, haha..get it..prime...directive...bah i am tired.... 

I appreciate your time, effort and hopes for your clubs to prosper. That fire is what makes fantasy hockey so special for all of us and is what I think will help it grow and flourish here on CDC! 

My apologies to any disappointed party to this situation, I do understand we all want to make the best possible club and stack it up against the others to see who makes the playoffs and who of those makes the finals...and finally who wins the coveted SILVER CHALICE!!!! There is always a trade chance and the fact that this is one small smelt in a big frozen pond. 700 players on our main rosters and 1500 actively managed in our league not counting unsigned draft picks of around 200 more. There is plenty for all of us. 

A reminder the CBA caps maximum contracts in the system at 50. 

Goodnight all! Thanks for reading along and for your patience. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

I call BULL.Your offer sheet was a joke and should never have been accepted at under a million without compensation.... after the player had sat for 15 games already. But it was.

I wont discuss this anymore.... because you wont be getting him anyways.

Cheers

Like I said previously. I had no idea the player was on your team when I made the offersheet so please do not feel like this directed at you. I spoke with our commish at the time for 35 minutes after I found out it was your player. We both explored every possible way I could compensate you for the lost player as this was the second offersheet you had in 48 hours. I did my best to try and find you compensation. By the very rules in which we play the game though you are not permitted to trade Teddy after you accept his offersheet. If PO is going to go outside the rules of the league and give special permissions that is entirely his right as Commish. But it does undermine the CBA and the very fabric of the league. 

I have sent you an offer - If you are interested I would love to make a deal. If you don't wish to deal with me out of ill will I'm sorry you feel that way. My issue is not with you but how the CBA is being completely ignored and overwritten. I tried my best to find you compensation but unfortunately it is not permitted in the CBA. 

Wish you the best regardless, hope you find a good return for him. He is a player I am sure many GMs would love to have. 

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Having tried to quickly move to answer your many questions, I got up to scour our CBA. It is true that in the NHL's 222 page rule book that they may not trade a player who was matched on his offersheet. We don't and can't follow the NHL exactly on anything perfectly as we are missing 208 pages of their rules. there are many simplified  and cut short rules we have that you can find on the 14 pages of our cba and so an NHL rule is not an EKL rule unless it specifically says so in the cba.

The CBA says we follow the NHL rulebook. So I guess this is a new precedent we are setting here in EKL. 

In the future if you have an RFA that is offersheeted you have the right to trade that player to a team that is willing to match that contract offer. Anything less than that would unfair to the league. Please note this page "page 69" for future RFA oversheets. Please update the CBA wording with this new precedent for all other GMs to utilize. 

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The CBA says we follow the NHL rulebook. So I guess this is a new precedent we are setting here in EKL. 

In the future if you have an RFA that is offersheeted you have the right to trade that player to a team that is willing to match that contract offer. Anything less than that would unfair to the league. Please note this page "page 69" for future RFA oversheets. Please update the CBA wording with this new precedent for all other GMs to utilize. 

Thanks. 

No need rush. Like I said I'll be keeping him and moving someone else out.

Let's not put the fire under our new commish who's been in the job for less than 24h. Let's let him get settled. 

I stand by what I said earlier that offer shee should never have been accepted it was a incorrect move by the agent in my opinion and if you really looked at the numbers most would agree. 

However it's done. 

I have a few days to accept still.

Let's talk about something else.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

if you have an RFA that is offersheeted you have the right to trade that player to a team that is willing to match that contract offer. Anything less than that would unfair to the league. Please note this page "page 69" for future RFA oversheets. Please update the CBA wording with this new precedent for all other GMs to utilize. 

Thanks. 

I don't think that is what I said last night. I think i was clear, but this is a better short version of what was decided: " If you have an RFA that is offersheeted, a GM can match that offer sheet. Further, there is nothing in our CBA preventing a GM from trading a player that has previously received an offer sheet." the end. No need to update the CBA because my decision is based on this exact CBA. Again, my apologies for the decision not being able to satisfy both parties, I stand by it as it is fair, just, and based on our existing rules as they are written. 

Updates will be on hold until tomorrow, as I am heading out of town now. 

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I don't think that is what I said last night. I think i was clear, but this is a better short version of what was decided: " If you have an RFA that is offersheeted, a GM can match that offer sheet. Further, there is nothing in our CBA preventing a GM from trading a player that has previously received an offer sheet." the end. No need to update the CBA because my decision is based on this exact CBA. Again, my apologies for the decision not being able to satisfy both parties, I stand by it as it is fair, just, and based on our existing rules as they are written. 

Updates will be on hold until tomorrow, as I am heading out of town now. 

The NHL rules which we follow in our CBA are that way. Other fantasy leagues have this exact rule. As long as everyone can trade offer sheeted players (after the fact that is fine by me) 

Just keep it consistent.

:lol: 

Just for sh*ts and giggles. I find it funny how an offer sheet and a possible trade for Teddy Blueger has sparked so much discussion around a circumstance that might happen once every 3-5 years; yet the Marner trade was just another day in fantasy trades :lol: 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Just for sh*ts and giggles. I find it funny how an offer sheet and a possible trade for Teddy Blueger has sparked so much discussion around a circumstance that might happen once every 3-5 years; yet the Marner trade was just another day in fantasy trades :lol: 

Well to be fair these days Teddy Blueger would be a key piece in a return for a player like Marner ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DZzX5PA.jpg

NSH GM will be on a sabbatical for the next 1-2 weeks. The team will not ice its lineup in protest of the Teddy Blueger incident as we shall now name it! hahaha. 

I kid, I am not really that upset about that situation, I just don't like the rules being messed with. Recent events in EKL have caused me to pause and reflect on my desire to be in the league though. I am going to take a week or two to think over if staying in the EKL makes sense for me. I have put a lot of time and energy not only into my team but the league itself. It would deeply saddened me if I had to step away permanently but it may be the best move for me long term. I will take some time to reflect and decide what is best for me moving forward. @Primal Optimist do not PM me - I will not be available to chat.

For those of you who are in active trade talks with me, just send me a PM. I will make time for you but I will be less active then I typically have been. (Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue those conversations).

Best regards,

Rush17

41 minutes ago, Monty said:

39 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Well to be fair these days Teddy Blueger would be a key piece in a return for a player like Marner ;)

Well..... canucks diddnt play yesterday.... and dont play until 7pm tonight.  What are we suppose to do??? I dunno where you grew up..  but in my neck of the woods petty bickering is a acceptable way of passing the time. Lol

Can someone pass me a roll of hurt feeling reports ??

In all seriousness I tried to drop it a few times.

And Marner.... well.... hes to expensive in Toronto... and hes still to expensive in EKL..But to each thier own.

38 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

NSH GM will be on a sabbatical for the next 1-2 weeks. The team will not ice its lineup in protest of the Teddy Blueger incident as we shall now name it! hahaha. 

I kid,

I am going to take a week or two to think over if staying in the EKL makes sense for me. I have put a lot of time and energy not only into my team but the league itself. It would deeply saddened me if I had to step away permanently but it may be the best move for me long term. I will take some time to reflect and decide what is best for me moving forward. @Primal Optimist do not PM me - I will not be available to chat.

For those of you who are in active trade talks with me, just send me a PM. I will make time for you but I will be less active then I typically have been. (Feel free to PM me if you wish to continue those conversations).

Best regards,

Rush17

Nashville is compliant on cap and I don't see any roster issues. I am glad you were kidding about not icing a lineup, as the owners would be most upset to not see gate revenue for even one moment in time. Your club will be here when you are refreshed, should you conclude that you would like to keep doing the brilliant work you have done thus far on building a contender. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

48 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

DZzX5PA.jpg

I kid, I am not really that upset about that situation, I just don't like the rules being messed with. Recent events in EKL have caused me to pause and reflect on my desire to be in the league though. I am going to take a week or two to think over if staying in the EKL makes sense for me. I have put a lot of time and energy not only into my team but the league itself. It would deeply saddened me if I had to step away permanently but it may be the best move for me long term. I will take some time to reflect and decide what is best for me moving forward. @Primal Optimist do not PM me - I will not be available to chat.

Best regards,

Rush17

OPD3548-BLACK-POST.jpg?1567397266

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

I dunno where you grew up..  but in my neck of the woods petty bickering is a acceptable way of passing the time. Lol

South Eastern Manitoba. All we have here is petty bickering. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Recent events in EKL have caused me to pause and reflect on my desire to be in the league though. I am going to take a week or two to think over if staying in the EKL makes sense for me.

Hope your time away gives you what you need. Remember, fantasy hockey is supposed to be fun and relaxing, which is really the mindset one should take first. Put in the effort for sure, but the effort should be done so at a realistic level. The picture below is kinda where my brain is at when I think, discuss, and plan for my team:

CE97310F-1691-4D4F-9481-E08906555EC4.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1