The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will we lose?

Rate this topic

iceman64

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There are 31 other teams to choose from.   You lose one player.   It is more than a year away.   

Worrying about hockey things not worth worry about.....

Wow, it really is summer in Canada isn't it.

Opposed to watching the boards that say sign 10 elites so we can win the cup and forgetting cap future of signing brock and then petey plus raises for others is more interest ing to think about? 

"Worry" about who we're going to lose? Not so much.. a bit interested to see what happens after if benning built enough depth that it won't hurt as bad as it could have? Time wise i mean, getting tired of waiting for the build to be over and start to see a team with an identity for a change but it's up to which way it goes as having more depth for the near future is a challenge that if jb pulls off then we're golden but if not.... back to the same old story of being soft with not depth... yeehaw!

11 hours ago, goalie13 said:

It's so hard to predict who we will lose when the expansion draft isn't for two more years.  So many players will come and go between now and then.

As for being exempt, each team (except Vegas) are recieving a big chunk of change for that one player.  They seem to be pretty happy with that exchange.

Agreed.

Lets worry about the expansion draft in two years.  It’s way too early to be speculating about this right now as many players will come and go during this time. 

In the spirit of this thread, perhaps I should start a 2021 Draft Discussion thread and speculate about pubeless 16 year old kids in the the OHL possibly being drafted by us in two years.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

6 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Opposed to watching the boards that say sign 10 elites so we can win the cup and forgetting cap future of signing brock and then petey plus raises for others is more interest ing to think about? 

"Worry" about who we're going to lose? Not so much.. a bit interested to see what happens after if benning built enough depth that it won't hurt as bad as it could have? Time wise i mean, getting tired of waiting for the build to be over and start to see a team with an identity for a change but it's up to which way it goes as having more depth for the near future is a challenge that if jb pulls off then we're golden but if not.... back to the same old story of being soft with not depth... yeehaw!

Why do you assume that there isn't enough depth now - it just needs the time to develop?   One of the things with the "rebuild" that so many have pushed for in the Vancouver market, it involves waiting for those young players you bring in to go through their development process which is not just a season or three.     

If you have issues with soft without depth, perhaps you should see a doctor.    :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why do you assume that there isn't enough depth now - it just needs the time to develop?   One of the things with the "rebuild" that so many have pushed for in the Vancouver market, it involves waiting for those young players you bring in to go through their development process which is not just a season or three.     

If you have issues with soft without depth, perhaps you should see a doctor.    :ph34r:

Well that escalated quickly.....

19 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

With the players on our current roster I would probably protect the following 7 forwards

Boeser

Horvat

Virtanen

Pettersson

Gaudette

MacEwen

Lind

The following 3 d-men

Juolevi

Stetcher

Brisebois

1 goalie

Demko

Arguably, you will lose your 12th most valuable player in the draft and I would not make any trades to protect any other players.

If I am Seattle, I will pick Markstrom base on your protection list. 

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If I am Seattle, I will pick Markstrom base on your protection list. 

There will be 30 other goalies.....some teams will have a lot more compelling choices with goalies under what will likely be more reasonable contracts that will be available (he is potentially a UFA unless Canucks extend anyway).   

8 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Since when? There's only one season to do moves and add new players and try and plan for development and then see where players are and how and if they fit at all and if you don't think that's in the back of bennings mind as he tries to build positional depth and not be the last one standing when the music stops especially when his job is ultimately on the line, i'd be definitely be looking ahead to be in a position where it does the least amount of damage to work that has been already been done especially in a crazed hockey town where everything you do is under the microscope and add our team being in the final stages of rebuilding around a new core then it's never too early to think it over the year before when your trying to stock up depth for a cup run... especially  when it's filling in the top 2 lines, instead of the bottom which we have tons of. 

The expansion draft is in 2021. We still have two seasons to go through first. A lot of roaster change is going to occur between now and then. 

All I am saying is as fans, it too early for us to speculate. Ofcourse it's going to be at the back of mind for Benning. Then again, he is on his last year in his contract so he is probably more concerned with icing the best team he can next season, expansion draft be damned. 

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Don't be projecting your problems onto others when they don't agree with you unless your just trolling lol

LOL - if one doesn't hit "soft without any depth" out of the park when pitched so slowly right over the plate, then one is surely missing out on a large part of the fun of such forums.   :)

54 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL - if one doesn't hit "soft without any depth" out of the park when pitched so slowly right over the plate, then one is surely missing out on a large part of the fun of such forums.   :)

Fun on the cdc?lmao, Surely you jest! 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

The expansion draft is in 2021. We still have two seasons to go through first. A lot of roaster change is going to occur between now and then. 

All I am saying is as fans, it too early for us to speculate. Ofcourse it's going to be at the back of mind for Benning. Then again, he is on his last year in his contract so he is probably more concerned with icing the best team he can next season, expansion draft be damned. 

However we only get one full season in before the draft happens because of overlapping years... yeah an off season in between but we're also trying to get the players we have evaluated and where to put them but a lot if that falls on individual development and then what to do... i can picture mr b doing a lot of thought juggling and i don't envy him trying to work it all out... but with the prospects we have and the picks if jb doesn't trade will make a lot of different scenarios but by the time the ED happens i think we'll have enough depth where it won't hurt us that much as long as jb isn't fired and replaced by someone who will trade the farm and future picks to try and win it all now.. 

Which will probably happen with our luck....

Shrugs, meh..

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, iceman64 said:

However we only get one full season in before the draft happens because of overlapping years... yeah an off season in between but we're also trying to get the players we have evaluated and where to put them but a lot if that falls on individual development and then what to do... i can picture mr b doing a lot of thought juggling and i don't envy him trying to work it all out... but with the prospects we have and the picks if jb doesn't trade will make a lot of different scenarios but by the time the ED happens i think we'll have enough depth where it won't hurt us that much as long as jb isn't fired and replaced by someone who will trade the farm and future picks to try and win it all now.. 

Which will probably happen with our luck....

Shrugs, meh..

Don’t think we need to worry about if Benning will get replaced, the only way that SHOULD happen is if he’s the guy to get rid of the depth we’ve accrued and go all in and fall flat on our faces.  It’s entirely possible that’s exactly his plan this offseason and draft anyways.  Much has been said how cap strapped teams are ripe for the picking (TB, TO heck even EDM (bad trading partner but had to mention them) and DET ) with a variety of guys they are trying to fit ... and we just happen to have cheaper alternatives available on our roster and a pool deep enough to add and make some of these trades work.  Zucker and Zaitsev are the current men of the hour, no exactly something to get excited about but both would be minor upgrades and not too old...and of course there is free agency this year too...wants to add a top four, well both Myers and Gardiner fit that discription..maybe Hutton’s out and Gardiners in or Myers is in and virtually anyone on the right side is out.  (For those that don’t think he’s a top four...well he is on every team but NSH and WNP).   Trading for Zucker isn’t that exciting but it’s a lot cheaper then any of the UFAs available that fit the top six moniker.   Skinner, Panarin, Duchene are top line guys and too expensive (unfortunately I’d love any of them) but maybe someone else is in mind...that will cost us, well what Zucker does or more.  

As far as ED goes, well it both takes away depth and adds depth depending on your viewpoint and how much you take beforehand ha ha.

6 minutes ago, bohonos76 said:

Plavsic can go.

Absolutely.   When Aucion was getting started I used to complain he  was “Plavsicing”.   Making dumb plays in other words.  He worked out of course and one year was going after the league record for PP goals..

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.   When Aucion was getting started I used to complain he  was “Plavsicing”.   Making dumb plays in other words.  He worked out of course and one year was going after the league record for PP goals..

18 PPG.  I think he actually did tie the record.  I remember him scoring in his first ever regular season and playoff games, but I forgot a little bit how beastly he was on the PP.  Guy was almost a D-man version of Tim Kerr for a while there.

Edited by Kevin Biestra