The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks and Avalanche Trade

Van: Ben Hutton + 2020 2nd round pick

Col: Erik Johnson + 2019 16th overall

The reason why I think this trade would work is because they already have enough young solid RHD in their lineup that they can spare Johnson to free up cap space. It would be a cash dump deal since Johnson is making $6M for the next three years iirc. Vancouver may need to add more to it to sweeten the deal but Johnson would be a big help to our currently struggling defense.

It would also give us an opportunity to trade Tanev later on and give us more options in the draft.

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Van: Ben Hutton + 2020 2nd round pick

Col: Erik Johnson + 2019 16th overall

The reason why I think this trade would work is because they already have enough young solid RHD in their lineup that they can spare Johnson to free up cap space. It would be a cash dump deal since Johnson is making $6M for the next three years iirc. Vancouver may need to add more to it to sweeten the deal but Johnson would be a big help to our currently struggling defense.

It would also give us an opportunity to trade Tanev later on and give us more options in the draft.

It's a better proposal than most proposals but... why would they make a trade like this to a divisional rival, especially with a 16th overall?

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

It's a better proposal than most proposals but... why would they make a trade like this to a divisional rival, especially with a 16th overall?

They've shown in interest in Hutton in the past, they've offered Barrie in exchange for him previously. Colorado also wouldn't have to worry about protecting Johnson during the expansion. It would be mutually beneficial to both teams since Col need to strengthen the left side of their defence and Van is in need of a good defenseman on the right.

We might be reaching bit trying to get the 16th pick but even a deal that included Johnson and a lower round pick could be worth it.

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

They've shown in interest in Hutton in the past, they've offered Barrie in exchange for him previously. Colorado also wouldn't have to worry about protecting Johnson during the expansion. It would be mutually beneficial to both teams since Col need to strengthen the left side of their defence and Van is in need of a good defenseman on the right.

We might be reaching bit trying to get the 16th pick but even a deal that included Johnson and a lower round pick could be worth it.

Barrie for Hutton git er Dunn!!!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Lol, what.

You just made that up. There's no way Jim Benning just hung the phone on that. 

Barrie and Hutton are worlds apart talent-wise. Barrie is a top 15 defenseman in the league. Hutton is barely a top 4 on Vancouver. 

When you lie at least try to make it sound somewhat believable.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Lol, what.

You just made that up. There's no way Jim Benning just hung the phone on that. 

Barrie and Hutton are worlds apart talent-wise. Barrie is a top 15 defenseman in the league. Hutton is barely a top 4 on Vancouver. 

When you lie at least try to make it sound somewhat believable.

If you going to call me out for b.s better be right. 

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

I also meant sakic has shown interest in Hutton before.  

8 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

My bad! I'll retract my statement. I honestly can't believe that the Canucks "Didn't want to trade Hutton". What could have been...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha no worries. I'm new so ha but yea I know right ha 

I mean hindsight is 20-20 but still. Sakic calls and says, "wanna trade Barrie for Hutton?" And Benning doesn't want to trade him?! Ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I'm pretty sure that offer was during Hutton's rookie year where he was looking like a really good top 4 defenseman. Obviously that didn't continue.

• Upvote 1

Hard to see a team trading a first round draft pick to see the only tangible asset in return is Ban Hutton.

I understand the cap dump but I think this would be hard to accomplish

18 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Hard to see a team trading a first round draft pick to see the only tangible asset in return is Ban Hutton.

Is Erik Johnson really a cap dump at this point? I thought he was still a solid top 4 D man. That essentially means we can take him for nothing.  If that is the case why don’t we just do that instead of signing Myers.  If we did nothing else:

Edler Stecher

Hughes Johnson

Joulevi Tanev

Hutton

Following year:

Hughes Johnson

Joulevi Tryamkin

Edler Woo

Stecher

Hutton/Tanev traded

That is a huge d-core as well.  hmmmm......

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Hutton+ 2 round pick seems like an over payment for just Johnson . I think there's a deal to make cause Johnson is the odd man out with Barrie and Makar. I can't see many teams lining up to take him on with a 6 million dollar tag. The teams that need D have cap problems like the oilers and leafs. 

• Cheers 2

Hutton for Johnson straight up, or add a later round pick from VAN if anything. Better than overpaying in both money and term for Myers in free agency, when we have Woo coming up in a few years and Tryamkin stashed in the KHL. 

Johnson would be great alongside Hughes. Johnson would provide good mentorship, is a big body, and looks like he will be able to play in that #3D role for the remainder of his contract. 

Hutton would do well playing on the second pair with Makar. Hutton is young enough to grow with their core and has the skillset and experience to stay in that #4D role for them.

We would be short a bottom pairing LHD which may need to be looked at in free agency or another trade, unless management expects Juolevi to come into camp and take that spot. At that point though, you'd have to pray to the Hockey Gods that Edler doesn't go down with injury, otherwise you'll have two rookies in Hughes and Juolevi as your top two LHD...

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Cheers 2

Colorado has plenty of cap space.  Sakic talks of how they are still rebuilding so can't see them trading key prospects or high draft picks.  The Avalanche are also such a young team - Johnson is a big part of their leadership group.  

Zadorov Barrie

Girard Makar

Cole Johnson

Hutton is not an upgrade on the left side and moving Johnson would create unbalance re handedness.  He also doesn't replace Johnson's leadership.  

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Colorado has plenty of cap space.  Sakic talks of how they are still rebuilding so can't see them trading key prospects or high draft picks.  The Avalanche are also such a young team - Johnson is a big part of their leadership group.  

Zadorov Barrie

Girard Makar

Cole Johnson

Hutton is not an upgrade on the left side and moving Johnson would create unbalance re handedness.  He also doesn't replace Johnson's leadership.  

Agreed. Even with Rantanen as a huge increase in their cap when they get him re-signed, and having a few key re-signings over the next couple summers, they're still looking at enough cap space to pursue a significant free agent acquisition this summer. If Johnson was going to handcuff them in any way, they wouldn't likely be open to adding so much at this point, but he isn't anywhere near a cap dump for them.