The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomical sightings thread

Kragar

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

That's very cool.

The Kepler telescope was replaced by the TESS satellite. 

Fun personal fact.

My dog is named Tess, we rescued her on the day the TESS was launched April 18 2018.

One of our first times taking her for a walk we met a guy from our apt building with his dog. The dude was a local astronomer....his dog was named....Kepler.

Tess and Kepler became good buds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

I came across this on on Reddit and thought it to be disturbingly well done.
(I realize it may not be new to some of the diehards on this thread.)

Which is the most disturbing Fermi paradox solution and why?

962FA7E9-BA71-4901-B72E-2194F3968592.jpeg

As you say some of the die-hards will be aware, but this is basically the theme behind the trilogy Remembrance of Earth's Past (AKA the Three Body Problem) by Chinese SF writer Cixin Liu.

The second book in the trilogy is called "The Dark Forest", which basically refers to the Universe at large and how intelligent species "hide" from each other, instead of broadcasting their whereabouts (as we silly humans do) resulting in invasion, or annihilation.

In the case of this group of novels, it results in invasion and most of Earth's surviving population end up being confined to Australia....

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As you say some of the die-hards will be aware, but this is basically the theme behind the trilogy Remembrance of Earth's Past (AKA the Three Body Problem) by Chinese SF writer Cixin Liu.

The second book in the trilogy is called "The Dark Forest", which basically refers to the Universe at large and how intelligent species "hide" from each other, instead of broadcasting their whereabouts (as we silly humans do) resulting in invasion, or annihilation.

In the case of this group of novels, it results in invasion and most of Earth's surviving population end up being confined to Australia....

Bloody Chinese !

More picking on us.

Thanks for the tip about the sci-fi novels.

Always looking for good sci-fi.

Recently finished The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson.

Solid space opera.

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Bloody Chinese !

More picking on us.

Thanks for the tip about the sci-fi novels.

Always looking for good sci-fi.

Recently finished The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson.

Solid space opera.

Yep. I quite enjoyed it as well.

Not sure if you're aware, but Anderson put out a sequel trilogy to follow up Seven Suns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saga_of_Shadows

It has been twenty years since the events of The Saga of the Seven Suns, in which an ancient war among four elemental races is reignited and nearly destroys both the human race and the alien Ildirans. The new Confederation has governed human civilization across its many colonized planets since the end of the Elemental War, and relations between the humans and Ildirans are harmonious. Peace and commerce have been restored, with the Roamers back in the business of mining and selling the valuable stardrive fuel ekti (required for faster-than-light travel) and the green priests of Theroc providing instantaneous trans-galactic communication via their sentient worldtrees. But the malevolent Klikiss robots are plotting their revenge from exile, and soon find an ally in the ancient Shana Rei, the destructive personification of darkness and chaos which has awakened from millennia of slumber to destroy all sentient life in the universe.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. I quite enjoyed it as well.

Not sure if you're aware, but Anderson put out a sequel trilogy to follow up Seven Suns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saga_of_Shadows

I have logged in on my son's tablet and this is the first time I have seen the quote on your posts.

Love it.

Also just noticed your "job description".

Love me some trailer park boys.

Thanks for the tip.

Got a bunch of Iain M Banks books from my second hand bookstore before the lockdown.

Looking forward to reading them.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1