Kragar

I miss;

Calvin and Hobbbes    Bill Watterson, retired 1995

Farside                        Gary Larson, retired 1995

Herman                        JIm Unger, retired 1992, deceased 2012

Curse you Father Time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have anything to say about this, except that it's being called things like the "Hand of God" and it's a very cool image of the aftermath of a Supernova:

You Can Finally Watch The Blast of a Cosmic Supernova With Your Own Eyes

Just in case there are any Astronomy geeks here (looking at you, @bishopshodan) the actual name/description is the supernova remnant MSH 15-52, with the pulsar PSR B1509-58 (the remains of the star that produced the supernova) located at the bright spot in the "palm" of the hand.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Not sure if everyone is aware, but apparently Hubble is "broken". NASA techs have been trying to fix a defective Memory Module, but even going to a back up module has failed to fix the issue, suggesting that the problem goes deeper.

It would really suck, if they were unable to get it back online....

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure if everyone is aware, but apparently Hubble is "broken". NASA techs have been trying to fix a defective Memory Module, but even going to a back up module has failed to fix the issue, suggesting that the problem goes deeper.

It would really suck, if they were unable to get it back online....

For more details:

https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-prepares-more-complex-riskier-hubble-space-telescope-fix/?ftag=CAD-03-10abj4f&bhid=27387568584822941599927611586826&mid=13425450&cid=1494321690

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:08 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't really have anything to say about this, except that it's being called things like the "Hand of God" and it's a very cool image of the aftermath of a Supernova:

You Can Finally Watch The Blast of a Cosmic Supernova With Your Own Eyes

Just in case there are any Astronomy geeks here (looking at you, @bishopshodan) the actual name/description is the supernova remnant MSH 15-52, with the pulsar PSR B1509-58 (the remains of the star that produced the supernova) located at the bright spot in the "palm" of the hand.

I am not a geek however I am a regular contributor to this thread as I was to sharpies thread on the Mars rover a few years back.

After all the stars are where we came from and where we will eventually return.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

My the thoughts are with the people in Europe enduring the floods there.

This article states next decade flooding events could triple due to " moon wobble".

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/nasa-warns-moon-wobble-will-cause-dramatic-increase-in-floods/news-story/b2e8d57d0e72ddf5b47b9d572a0c7292

Oh great.

Aside from the floods.

How will this affect lunacy? Will that movie 'The Happening' come true? maybe some kind of Zombie like craziness? 

I'm a believer that since we are made up mostly of water, the moon has to have influence on us. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326012

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190731-is-the-moon-impacting-your-mood-and-wellbeing

https://whyy.org/segments/could-the-moon-really-be-affecting-our-moods/

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this brother.

I am in 2 minds about this.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lunacy-and-the-full-moon/

Hockey fights are mentioned in this article.

Sleep deprivation sends you pretty out there.

I can speak from experience.

Also when I was doing some research on depression I discovered 

SAD,seasonal affective disorder.

Less sunlight to set of the "good" chemicals in our brain.

This topic is worth a thread of it's own however I believe only a couple of members would be interested.

21 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Thanks for posting this brother.

I am in 2 minds about this.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lunacy-and-the-full-moon/

Hockey fights are mentioned in this article.

Sleep deprivation sends you pretty out there.

I can speak from experience.

Also when I was doing some research on depression I discovered 

SAD,seasonal affective disorder.

Less sunlight to set of the "good" chemicals in our brain.

This topic is worth a thread of it's own however I believe only a couple of members would be interested.

My big bro is bi-polar.

First time I realised there was something off was when I was 13 and he warned me of the CIA watching us and that I should warn my friends.

I'm 47 now and what stories I could tell you of his/our adventures when he spirals.

In the last 10 years or so I have made note that when he starts to trip, it's often around the time of a full moon. My sister is a psychologist so we discuss him at length, when I brought this observation up she mentioned that it does come up with some of her patients.

I GM'd a couple night clubs and worked that industry for 15 years. Often bouncers would come up to me and say 'what is with people tonight? so many fights'. Was never a surprise to find out the moon was full. ( this isn't to imply just gravity from the moon but perhaps the mixture of it with the sheer light)

However, when my bro starts to slip...exactly what you mention is a big part of the manic phase...sleep deprivation. No sleep for days will send any one off the deep end. 

I agree, probably a different thread for this but that moon has an effect on us imo.

The old stories of wolfmen that howl at the moon...well, I believe the wild behaviour that was witnessed was people not unlike my dear bro. 

So they dubbed the term lunacy..'mid 16th century (originally referring to insanity of an intermittent kind attributed to changes of the moon)'

Edit: thanks for the article. Its states some things that are still in dispute, some studies suggest the the moon does have more gravitational pull during 'wolf moons' ( king tides etc), it also states the human body is 80% water, when it is closer to 60% on avg. I also disagree that media plays a role as much as it claims, when as I pointed out that the term lunatic, lunacy are related to this observation going back to its Latin origin. The term "lunatic" derives from the Latin word lunaticus, which originally referred mainly to epilepsy and madness, as diseases thought to be caused by the moon.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Huggy Bear 1