The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

I can’t believe Lavoie has fallen so far... the guy just scored 20 goals in 23 playoff games. Apparently he can play both LW and RW. I’m hoping for a defenceman with our second, but I’d be pumped if we got him. Lavoie LW - Horvat C - Podkolzin RW would be a force to be reckoned with!

https://www.tsn.ca/raphael-lavoie-left-wing-right-wing-1.1301968

For a team in dire need of goal scoring, having Kaliyev and Lavoie still on the board has to be tempting. 

Then again I love the effort level of Hoglander and Rees, and the size of D men Vlasic and Korczak and Matthew Robertson, and the slick skill of Puistola. So many good players remaining, I think my head is going to explode lol!

Another guy that stands out for me is Vladislav Kolyachonok. Craig Button’s write up on him is particularly good, "Smooth skater with a calm and settled mind. Sees the ice in all areas and makes plays. Has deception and a confidence to try things to make plays." 

https://www.tsn.ca/vladislav-kolyachonok-defence-1.1302473

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I don't think you understand my point.

What I was explaining was how coaches tend to prefer players playing on their strong side, and Green has shown this preference. What I prefer, means little as, last I checked, I am unfortunately, not running the Canucks! 

I understodd your point.  I'm just not convinced you know where he will play when you say he'll be moved to LW.

Tarasenko is a left shot right wing.  Ovechkin a right shot left wing.

Leivo is a right shot left wing.

Green may have preferences, but he doesn't have a rule - uses players on their off wing when need be.

I think we'll know where Podkolzin plays...when we know.

If he's as effective at LW - great - Pod EP BB would be a helluva line.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I understodd your point.  I'm just not convinced you know where he will play when you say he'll be moved to LW.

Tarasenko is a left shot right wing.  Ovechkin a right shot left wing.

Leivo is a right shot left wing.

Green may have preferences, but he doesn't have a rule - uses players on their off wing when need be.

I think we'll know where Podkolzin plays...when we know.

If he's as effective at LW - great - Pod EP BB would be a helluva line.

umm how can I KNOW where he'll play? I am not the coach bro - all i said was that's what coaches typically prefer

wow take a pill

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

umm how can I KNOW where he'll play? I am not the coach bro - all i said was that's what coaches typically prefer

wow take a pill

I don't do pills.

I guess you've forgotten the post you initiated the conversation with.

Here it is.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He's a left shot right winger, they will move him to the left side.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't do pills.

I guess you've forgotten the post you initiated the conversation with.

Here it is.

and go read the follow ups, is it that big an issue to you? ok i will pay you 80 trillion dollars if I am wrong! I am known as the superhero 'rightman' do you not know I am right! da da da right man too the moon! up up and away! I can only be RIGHT! because  I am psychic, I am omniscient, I am RIGHT MAN!!!

wow bro....you really need to take things a little less seriously on a hockey forum - its called an 'opinion'

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Haha 1

If we can walk out of the draft with Grewe and Puistola, I’d give JB the extension on the spot. 

Grewe (tenacious but lacks puck skills, uses his body really well) - Petey - Boeser 

Puistola (Petey level smarts) - Bo - Podkolzin 

That second line would be insane. The play styles match up so damn well. 

Just now, Stamkos said:

If we can walk out of the draft with Grewe and Puistola, I’d give JB the extension on the spot. 

Grewe (tenacious but lacks puck skills, uses his body really well) - Petey - Boeser 

Puistola (Petey level smarts) - Bo - Podkolzin 

That second line would be insane. The play styles match up so damn well. 

From what I’ve read JB only really decides on the 1st round picks. I think Brackett does the rest of the pick choices.

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

From what I’ve read JB only really decides on the 1st round picks. I think Brackett does the rest of the pick choices.

I don't think JB alone decides anything, they decide as a group. The scouts see these players way more than JB ever could. They have group meetings where they rank their picks top to bottom and literally use that as their guide on draft day.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I really hope Benning sticks to his guns and just takes the BPA the rest of the way.  No RHD or PMD will be ready to move from the 2nd or 3rd rounds to the NHL for a while anyway.  Just keep filling the cupboard with talent so we have the best possible assets to build a team.

Footnote: I think a lot of kudos should go to Benning for having the balls to pick Podkolzin.  He is clearly the BPA at 10, having been rated 3-5th throughout the season. Even though he only has 1 year on his contract, Benning still puts the best interests of the team first. He's not picking or trading based on fan's whims or owner's wish to win sooner than later, he is just picking the best player.

Exactly.

But, but....I thought he was desperado to save his jobz?!  Must make the playoffs immediately!  I'm just scared he's gonna do something to jeaopardize the future to save his jobz and win nowwww!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

No he won't Russians never work in Van since Bure left.

Goldobin, Shirokov, Tryamkin, Zhukenov,Burmistrov.

Really?

So.... lots and lots of Americans haven’t worked out for the Canucks either. Let’s not draft any American players either.

Patrick White, Jordan Schroeder,, RJ Umberger, To name just a few.

Your analysis of the drafted player is based solely on his ethnicity?

Really? 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I don't believe that is true.  Iirc, I think there was video from last year's draft where Bracket suggests a goaltender with the 3rd round pick - and Benning insists that he's taking Madden.

Pretty sure they work by consensus throughout the process, but Benning probably does reserve the right to have the last say.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I don't think JB alone decides anything, they decide as a group. The scouts see these players way more than JB ever could. They have group meetings where they rank their picks top to bottom and literally use that as their guide on draft day.

This is what I’ve read a while back. I should of done a better job explaining. JB makes the final decision of 1st rounders, Brackett final decision for rest of the rounds. Again not sure how accurate this is, just what I’ve read before.

• Upvote 1