The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Is this guy over hyped a bit? I decided to look at his stats for this year, and what shocked me was to see Linden Vey out performed Podz this year, by quite a bit and Linden Vey isn't anything special so what does that say about Podz....

It says that Vey was 29 years old and Podkolzin was 19…

Do you really expect a 19 year old to outperform a 29 year old In a men’s league?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It says that Vey was 29 years old and Podkolzin was 19…

Do you really expect a 19 year old to outperform a 29 year old In a men’s league?

It also shows this was Podz 2nd full year with them and this was Veys first. And yes I kind of do when a fringe NHL player is out performing a top 10 1st round pick, I will start to ask questions then. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Is this guy over hyped a bit? I decided to look at his stats for this year, and what shocked me was to see Linden Vey out performed Podz this year, by quite a bit and Linden Vey isn't anything special so what does that say about Podz....

Linden Vey has always been a great player in lesser leagues. His CHL, AHL and KHL numbers are a testament to that. Some players are just like that. I'm can't be assed to look into specific examples, but I guarantee in the CHL and AHL Vey outperformed a number of guys that went on to have great NHL careers. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You clearly don’t understand how the KHL works then. They brought Vey in as a veteran import and gave him top 6 minutes. 

Podkolzin as a 19 year old had to fight for his minutes. That’s how they develop players there.

That was Veys 10th season as a pro vs Podkolzins 2nd. Vey has been pro since he was 20 years old (older than Podkolzin) and put up points in every league he’s been.

To compare the two shows a lack of understanding about the KHL and AHL and the difference 10 years makes for a pro.

When the hype is that high around here for this kid he should be able to out perform a fringe NHL player, his skill should of bumped him up the lineup but looks like Vey had his number.

So are you trying to imply that the KHL is tougher then the NHL because they have men playing.... That's your excuse for why a young skilled player was out played by a fringe NHL player? So the young kids who come into the NHL won't be able to out perform a fringe NHL player because by your logic a fringe NHL player has more experience playing with men over a young player.... LOL okay

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

11 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Linden Vey has always been a great player in lesser leagues. His CHL, AHL and KHL numbers are a testament to that. Some players are just like that. I'm can't be assed to look into specific examples, but I guarantee in the CHL and AHL Vey outperformed a number of guys that went on to have great NHL careers. 

I believe Vey size factors in for the NHL, at least he found a place to play, but he is a fringe NHL player still, but when I see a top 10 pick who is constantly praised on this board as the next superstar coming, to then see Vey out produced Podz, in Podz 2nd full year, that's not something that looks promising especially for all the hype I see he gets here.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I believe Vey size factors in for the NHL, at least he found a place to play, but he is a fringe NHL player still, but when I see a top 10 pick who is constantly praised on this board as the next superstar coming, to then see Vey out produced Podz, in Podz 2nd full year, that's not something that looks promising especially for all the hype I see he gets here.

I would like to see more production out of Podz too, but you're ignoring the context completely. Linden Vey was an established player that had done well.at both the CHL and AHL level, and had already played in the NHL. Podkolzin was still a teenager up until about 3 weeks ago. He's still developing and hasn't been gifted the minutes and opportunities Vey has. Let's also keep in mind that, considering every one of his coaches knows he's NHL bound, they don't really have much incentive to develop him.

And when he finally did get a chance to really play during the playoffs, he shined.

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I would like to see more production out of Podz too, but you're ignoring the context completely. Linden Vey was an established player that had done well.at both the CHL and AHL level, and had already played in the NHL. Podkolzin was still a teenager up until about 3 weeks ago. He's still developing and hasn't been gifted the minutes and opportunities Vey has. Let's also keep in mind that, considering every one of his coaches knows he's NHL bound, they don't really have much incentive to develop him.

And when he finally did get a chance to really play during the playoffs, he shined.

I'm just going by all the hype I see regarding him on here, and with all the hype I see and read I was expecting more results especially when seeing a guy like Linden Vey doing better them him a guy who can't find a NHL job. 

I get that he's young, but the KHL isn't no NHL, the NHL is a tougher league with better players still if there was one league close to the NHL it would be the KHL but it's still no NHL, and if a younger player is struggling in a league that's weaker then the one he's expected to eventually join, then I have questions and start to question maybe he is over hyped a bit, Canucks fans do tend to do that a lot with their players :lol:

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm just going by all the hype I see regarding him on here, and with all the hype I see and read I was expecting more results especially when seeing a guy like Linden Vey doing better them him a guy who can't find a NHL job. 

I get that he's young, but the KHL isn't no NHL, the NHL is a tougher league with better players still if there was one league close to the NHL it would be the KHL but it's still no NHL, and if a younger player is struggling in a league that's weaker then the one he's expected to eventually join, then I have questions and start to question maybe he is over hyped a bit, Canucks fans do tend to do that a lot with their players :lol:

Most projections I see have him starting on the 3rd line. Nobody here is expecting him to have a rookie season as productive as Boeser or Petey. I think the hope is that, with better players around him, a smaller ice surface (which on paper should be a better fit with his game) and a coaching staff that actually gives a $&!# about his development, he could eventually become a top 6 player.

Again, you need to look at everything in the proper context. His ice time, his linemates, his defensive vs offensive zone deployment, etc etc etc...

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Most projections I see have him starting on the 3rd line. Nobody here is expecting him to have a rookie season as productive as Boeser or Petey. I think the hope is that, with better players around him, a smaller ice surface (which on paper should be a better fit with his game) and a coaching staff that actually gives a $&!# about his development, he could eventually become a top 6 player.

Again, you need to look at everything in the proper context. His ice time, his linemates, his defensive vs offensive zone deployment, etc etc etc...

No I understand that, I don't live in Russia so following the KHL isn't on the top of my priority list, and I get those things factor in. Just the hype I've seen here basically since he was drafted was he's going to be this top 6 player for the Canucks, and when he comes over he's going to be this beast, that's kind of how this fan base has sold him for a while, and I'm now starting to question that.

No I understand that, I don't live in Russia so following the KHL isn't on the top of my priority list, and I get those things factor in. Just the hype I've seen here basically since he was drafted was he's going to be this top 6 player for the Canucks, and when he comes over he's going to be this beast, that's kind of how this fan base has sold him for a while, and I'm now starting to question that.

Again, most projections have him starting on the 3rd line. Nobody's penciling him in to play with Petey just yet.

• Cheers 2

Lots of fans are though :lol:

I think people are looking at his style of game and thinking that, if he eventually can be a top six player, that he could be a nice complimentary player to Petey, in a similar vein to what Burrows brought to the Sedin line.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sure Vey put up a few more points in the regular season than Podz but he also played several more games and more than double the minutes than Podz. Vey also put up 40+ back to back point seasons playing for CSKA. 

But during this past years playoffs Podz put up more than double the points than Vey, 11 to 5, playing same amount of games. When the games mattered and when given a chance to actually play meaningful minutes, Podkolzin absolutely outperformed Vey. 

We should be excited about him, he will be a beast. He will start the year on the 3rd line but given his drive, determination and character I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the year playing along side Bo.