The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nils Hoglander | #21 | LW

ItalianCanuck1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Even if he doesn't score, its like almost every shift, he tries to make a difference. You can't help but to look for #36 every time. Ive never seen that tenacity from a first year Canuck EVER.

I guess you weren't watching the Canucks when Burr and Hansen were new, playing on a checking line with Kesler.

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I guess you weren't watching the Canucks when Burr and Hansen were new, playing on a checking line with Kesler.

I was actually. Burr or hansen were no where near as good as Hogs in their first year as Canucks. Hansen was in and out of the lineup and Burr was just the filler guy on the roster and he eventually worked his way up seasons after. They both werent playing prominent roles like Hogs 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

He doesnt quite have that clear crisp skating or technique that petey has, but omg the tenacity when going for the puck...its like putting a piece of meat in front of a hungry pitbull when he starts chasing the puck in the corners.....i love it. In my opinion he was the best player of the team in tonights battle against the flames. If he would have nailed that backhand against the post he would have been the games 1st star. 

He doesn’t let up. It still amazes me even after watching it every game. He can go into the corner with a guy 6 inches taller than him and still end up with the puck with ease sometimes. Happens almost every shift he’s on too

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I was actually. Burr or hansen were no where near as good as Hogs in their first year as Canucks. Hansen was in and out of the lineup and Burr was just the filler guy on the roster and he eventually worked his way up seasons after. They both werent playing prominent roles like Hogs 

Being a 2nd rounder, Hogs was projected to excel to greater heights than Honey Badger or Burr.  Considering HB was a 9th rounder and Burr learned his hockey moves playing roller hockey makes both their story endearing and striking.  They both had massive passion, endless energy and very high hockey sense.  Great players and fan favourites.

Hogs possess massive skills and likely should have been a 1st round pick.  He also possesses the same passion and energy, as well terrific hockey sense.  I'll bet he will be a fan favourite for many years to come.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Being a 2nd rounder, Hogs was projected to excel to greater heights than Honey Badger or Burr.  Considering HB was a 9th rounder and Burr learned his hockey moves playing roller hockey makes both their story endearing and striking.  They both had massive passion, endless energy and very high hockey sense.  Great players and fan favourites.

Hogs possess massive skills and likely should have been a 1st round pick.  He also possesses the same passion and energy, as well terrific hockey sense.  I'll bet he will be a fan favourite for many years to come.

Delorme should just scout ball hockey games and find the most skilled player in the world. Sign him to a PTO and maybe teach him to skate and we got another future first liner.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 1:00 AM, filthycanuck said:

Even if he doesn't score, its like almost every shift, he tries to make a difference. You can't help but to look for #36 every time. Ive never seen that tenacity from a first year Canuck EVER.

23 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

13 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

You were eh?. So where does this, "Ive never seen that tenacity from a first year Canuck EVER" come from?

Tenacity defined Burr's and Hansen's games in the beginning of their careers.

Erecting a straw man / changing "tenacity" to "as good as", as you did here, is not very honest. Or do you perhaps really not understand the difference between tenacity and skill?

I dont think anybody will ever beat expectations like Burr did. From being undrafted to working up to first line duties was unreal. Hogs definitly seems to have the same heart and soul as Burr but the expectations on Hogs have been far greater than Burr since being drafted. Burrows could never have been a bust because he didnt even cost a draft position, Burrows turned out to be all gravy in my opinion except for maybe the finger cannibalism, but hey couldve used gravy there too.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:51 AM, Mrwipeout said:

He doesnt quite have that clear crisp skating or technique that petey has, but omg the tenacity when going for the puck...its like putting a piece of meat in front of a hungry pitbull when he starts chasing the puck in the corners.....i love it. In my opinion he was the best player of the team in tonights battle against the flames. If he would have nailed that backhand against the post he would have been the games 1st star. 

He had a fabulous game.....really wished he would have got a point or two.....he deserved it.

absolutely love this kid!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You were eh?. So where does this, "Ive never seen that tenacity from a first year Canuck EVER" come from?

Tenacity defined Burr's and Hansen's games in the beginning of their careers.

Erecting a straw man / changing "tenacity" to "as good as", as you did here, is not very honest. Or do you perhaps really not understand the difference between tenacity and skill?

Tenacity as in hard working, stealing pucks, winning puck battles against bigger guys. Burr was no where close to Hogs in the first season. Do you know how to read? You act as as if Burrows made an impact as soon as his skates touched the ice. No he didnt, he was guy placed on the 4th line and worked hard, got into scrums, and hed be lucky if he got 8 minutes of ice time, but in no way he was doing the stuff Hogs is doing right now. Do need need it in big bold letters that I said first season? 

Hansen wasnt even full time nhler his first season. He was the guy being called up from the Moose. 

You can test me all you damn want, ive watched the canucks since since late 80s , pre sportsnet days. Seems to me like youre the one that hasnt watched many games. FYI Kesler, Burrows and Hansen were never in the same line in their first season as Canucks

Edited by filthycanuck

3 hours ago, crobar said:

I dont think anybody will ever beat expectations like Burr did. From being undrafted to working up to first line duties was unreal. Hogs definitly seems to have the same heart and soul as Burr but the expectations on Hogs have been far greater than Burr since being drafted. Burrows could never have been a bust because he didnt even cost a draft position, Burrows turned out to be all gravy in my opinion except for maybe the finger cannibalism, but hey couldve used gravy there too.

Seems like people here are generalizing. I said first season. Yes we know how Burrows and Hansens careers turned out, im making the comparison of right now, in the same stage, can you say they were both better than Hogs? Hard work, skill etc, no they werent. 

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Tenacity as in hard working, stealing pucks, winning puck battles against bigger guys. Burr was no where close to Hogs in the first season. Do you know how to read? You act as as if Burrows made an impact as soon as his skates touched the ice. No he didnt, he was guy placed on the 4th line and worked hard, got into scrums, and hed be lucky if he got 8 minutes of ice time, but in no way he was doing the stuff Hogs is doing right now. Do need need it in big bold letters that I said first season? 

Hansen wasnt even full time nhler his first season. He was the guy being called up from the Moose. 

You can test me all you damn want, ive watched the canucks since since late 80s , pre sportsnet days. Seems to me like youre the one that hasnt watched many games. FYI Kesler, Burrows and Hansen were never in the same line in their first season as Canucks

If you don't know that tenacity was the single biggest attribute of their games that got them onto the team and moved them up the lineup, you clearly were not paying attention.

No matter how many times you move the goal posts to yammer on about "better than" and "impact", that's not going to change.

And of course nobody claimed that Burr or "Stone Hands" Hansen were more skilled or had more impact than Hogs in their first year. That's just a straw man argument, which is a tool used by dishonest people.

8 hours ago, crobar said:

A lot of posters thought Hogs should get a year with the comets before joining the big club, but yes he did come with higher fan expectations. lets hope podz follows suit.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Frick and Frack played on the same lines quite a bit, but I don't recall Hansen joining them.  Can you imagine though, having a non drafted player and a 9th round pick turning out the way these 2 did?  And people say the hockey gods hate the Canucks.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

If you don't know that tenacity was the single biggest attribute of their games that got them onto the team and moved them up the lineup, you clearly were not paying attention.

No matter how many times you move the goal posts to yammer on about "better than" and "impact", that's not going to change.

And of course nobody claimed that Burr or "Stone Hands" Hansen were more skilled or had more impact than Hogs in their first year. That's just a straw man argument, which is a tool used by dishonest people.

Dishonest? So youre judgmental now too? Whatever you say, frankly i dont give $hit

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Frick and Frack played on the same lines quite a bit, but I don't recall Hansen joining them.  Can you imagine though, having a non drafted player and a 9th round pick turning out the way these 2 did?  And people say the hockey gods hate the Canucks.

Yeah Burr and kes played together quite bit later on. Burr joined i think joined around midway through the season thanks to rypien being sick or injured. Hansen joined the team 1 year or 2 after. We got very lucky with Burrows, what wouldve happened had Rypien not gotten injured? Yeah hansen turned into a hell of a player. Lapierre Hansen Torres played a massive part in the 2011 playoff run

• Cheers 1