The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carson Focht | C

elvis15

• 1 month later...

This guy is a 5th round pick right?

It's great that he is believed to make the big team in the future.

Then this is another example of bad financial management.

Why on earth is he getting a top ten pick type contract? This is a cap struggling team and he gets a 3 year deal the same as Pettersson or Hughes?

Just for disclosure;

UnconfirmedUNCONFIRMED: Maximum entry-level contract assumed for the time being, details will be updated when they have been confirmed

Whose relative is he?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3

23 hours ago, Lazurus said:

This guy is a 5th round pick right?

It's great that he is believed to make the big team in the future.

Then this is another example of bad financial management.

Why on earth is he getting a top ten pick type contract? This is a cap struggling team and he gets a 3 year deal the same as Pettersson or Hughes?

Just for disclosure;

UnconfirmedUNCONFIRMED: Maximum entry-level contract assumed for the time being, details will be updated when they have been confirmed

Whose relative is he?

Verified by CF -

$821,667 $883,333 $20,000 $80,000 $700,000 $780,000 $70,000
20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

He was drafted in 2019, when would he become a FA ?

June 2023 I think, that is the same date as other 2019 draft picks on CF

Just now, aGENT said:

For those of you who aren't panicky, reactionary yahoos with clear reading comprehension issues... looks like they updated his actual cap hit:

Base salary $821,667... AAV with bonuses  $883,333.

I was editing that post at the same time you posted this. But why him and why now?

On 1/8/2021 at 12:45 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably as simple as they like the player.

WHL season is delayed and still uncertainty around when and if they’ll play. He would have been entering his age 20/21 season, which is always challenging, due to roster limitations for overagers. AHL season is set to go. So he has a guaranteed spot to play and the Canucks have developmental control. Draft rights would have expired this summer anyway.

All together, makes sense to sign him now, rather than later, if they value the player, and think he has a future as a pro.

Okay, but I have to assume they value all their draft picks right?

There are 16 other draft picks, Podkolzin, Costmar and Keppen that aren't signed, so why this one kid? He doesn't have anything special does he, I'm asking? Was this some make a wish type thing or family crisis? Again I ask because there are others under the same circumstances as he is.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anybody remembers Focht at training camp last season, but he was looking very good then and is only improving now.  The kid is pushing hard to be noticed and is being rewarded for hard work.  So far he's turning out to be one of those less likely guys that comes out of the 5th round to surprise you.  He's not far from NHL ready.

23 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I'm not sure if anybody remembers Focht at training camp last season, but he was looking very good then and is only improving now.  The kid is pushing hard to be noticed and is being rewarded for hard work.  So far he's turning out to be one of those less likely guys that comes out of the 5th round to surprise you.  He's not far from NHL ready.

Yeah, the organization really like him. Particularly Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull have spoken quite complimentary of Focht, and I could see him getting fast tracked toward an eventual replacement role in the Canucks’ bottom six. Some of the prospect ranking articles seem to leave him off their lists, mostly due to questions about his ceiling, but I put more stock in the actual coaching and development staff being really high on him as a future role player type at the NHL level.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Focht is off to a good start so far...  

From CanucksArmy website 

"

Carson Focht was the bright spot for me in this game for the Canucks prospect side of things. The speedy pivot was credited with five shots on goal to match the AHL’s leading scorer from last year as Sam Anas was also credited with five. Focht had a couple of scoring chances that were ever so close to going in and also nearly had an assist in the dying seconds but Monetmbault came up big.

I had never seen Focht play a game of hockey before this weekend. I have come away impressed with the fact that he does not seem the least bit timid on the ice in his first two games. He is showing that he skates well and can be disruptive enough with his active stick to force some turnovers for his line. He was winning some faceoffs in this game and has been a penalty-killing regular so far. That seems like a good first step for the rookie forward. "

https://www.uticaod.com/story/sports/2021/02/12/rookie-center-carson-focht-makes-early-impression-utica-comets/6736466002/

Carson Focht is just beginning his professional hockey career.

The 21-year-old center and a key Vancouver Canucks prospect is trying to take in everything as a rookie in the American Hockey League during the Utica Comets’ shortened season.

“I thought coming in, I didn’t know what to expect,” Focht said after Friday’s practice. “At the end of day, you just have to play hockey. There’s a lot of great guys in the room that have really helped me along. When I get out there, I just want to help my team win.”

Focht had a good start with the Comets during two regular-season games (1-1-0-0). He had a week of teaching with a focus on a few areas in preparing to play Binghamton at 4 p.m. Saturday in New Jersey. Focht has gotten experience playing on the Comets’ special teams and shown good speed and awareness in creating some turnovers as well as setting up opportunities for teammates.

“Trust between players and coaches is big. I want to prove that I can play in any situation out there. I just need to refine my details and get some of that trust early,” said Focht, a fifth-round selection by the Canucks in the 2019 NHL draft. “I’m trying to play my best in all three zones and be relied on. Having a good stick and being aware is always crucial.”

There will be an obvious acclimation period for Focht as there usually is for young players in the AHL, Comets coach Trent Cull said. Focht is among a few rookies with the Comets, which have players from Vancouver and the St. Louis organizations as part of a dual affiliation for this season.

Cull said he had a good talk with Focht this week and noted he's not measuring him based on point totals. He’s more interested in how he’s playing.

He’s got such great tools, his feet and his head is up when he’s making plays. He does some good things inside and in traffic areas. I think he has done a really good job. We’re going to keep throwing different situations — power play, penalty kill — at him,” Cull said. “There’s going to be times when it works for him, and there’s some nights where it doesn’t. We’ll find a happy medium, but he’s done a good job.”

Focht said there’s an emphasis on learning to be a pro and trying to get better each day.

With the shortened season, we might have a bit less time together this year,” said Focht, who was on a line with Jonah Gadjovich and Will Lockwood on Friday. “I guess every day is a bit more crucial. I’m excited to be here, learning and playing games again.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1