The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

I don’t believe it’s a good idea to play Demko more than around 50-55 games per season.

Silovs is no. 2 already so he should play 20+ next season.

I would be all for this, I think fans are probably split between leaving Silovs in Abby another year or two, but I think he's ready to go, he showed us how good he is. I think he can easily play 15 games next year, maybe 5 or so for Delia/Martin but don't want Demko over 60 games for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I don’t believe it’s a good idea to play Demko more than around 50-55 games per season.

Silovs is no. 2 already so he should play 20+ next season.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree Demko is many great things but sturdy is not one of them.
Hopefully Silovs will hop between Abby and Van next year and get a good number of starts between the two. 

Yep, the era of starters carrying massive workloads and goalies like Luongo playing 70+ games is clearly over. No goalies played more than 64 games this year. However, Tocchet was playing Demko pretty heavy to end the season so I do worry that if Silovs is the backup next season he might only play 10-15 games which I don't think is ideal for his continued development. Hopefully if Silovs is the backup he gets ~30 games, otherwise I would rather he get a heavy workload in Abbotsford. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Yep, the era of starters carrying massive workloads and goalies like Luongo playing 70+ games is clearly over. No goalies played more than 64 games this year. However, Tocchet was playing Demko pretty heavy to end the season so I do worry that if Silovs is the backup next season he might only play 10-15 games which I don't think is ideal for his continued development. Hopefully if Silovs is the backup he gets ~30 games, otherwise I would rather he get a heavy workload in Abbotsford. 

I believe the main reason why Tocchet played Demko as much was to see if Demko could handle it or get injured again so Tocchet has to handle him like glass.

Demko had been injured two times within a short period so it was a concern.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, flat land fish said:

What a great development opportunity to be the guy in net for an underdog country.  He will be well seasoned to suit up for Canucks and the peppering the tendies sometimes endure

Look at his stats from WC last year and you know why I was high on him since then.

Probably the easier games but Latvia isn’t a star team either.

I haven't seen any of the iihf games (just some highlights here and there) but Silovs has my vote for tournament MVP. His stock has risen like a rocket over the past 12 months.

Great story for the home-town team and for Silovs. Would be great if they can beat Sweden in the QF.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Is 6th place the highest Latvia has ever finished? Even if they go out against Sweden, 5 round robin wins is really impressive and clearly Silovs was a major part of that. 

Wiki has stated 8th on a few occasions.  This is their record for wins.  If you don't count group C events.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1