The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arturs Silovs | G

Unreal game, Latvia were so undisciplined but such solid positioning defensively when they're standing still and wow Silovs is becoming a national hero as a kid. He's going to be the AHL's best goalie next year, probably have a Wolf/Demko like year, carry them deep into the playoffs hopefully and then he'll be ready for 20-30 NHL games the following year.

I do agree though - the way he's poised right now he should be our backup next year but no rush. If Martin and Delia really stink up the boat I'm all for bringing Silovs in.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Quickly solidifying himself as the best goaltending prospect in the world.

Having a great tournament no doub t but let's temper expectations...Canuck fans have been high on many prospects in the past to only be disappointet time after time. He is still young, great for his confidence but hope they let him run with the reigns as the #1G in Abbotsford next year and try to go deeper in the AHL playoffs.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Unreal game, Latvia were so undisciplined but such solid positioning defensively when they're standing still and wow Silovs is becoming a national hero as a kid. He's going to be the AHL's best goalie next year, probably have a Wolf/Demko like year, carry them deep into the playoffs hopefully and then he'll be ready for 20-30 NHL games the following year.

I do agree though - the way he's poised right now he should be our backup next year but no rush. If Martin and Delia really stink up the boat I'm all for bringing Silovs in.

4 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Having a great tournament no doub t but let's temper expectations...Canuck fans have been high on many prospects in the past to only be disappointet time after time. He is still young, great for his confidence but hope they let him run with the reigns as the #1G in Abbotsford next year and try to go deeper in the AHL playoffs.

I definately disagree with letting him play in Abby.

One of the more important reasons is we win more games with him in the team.

What is more important?

That the Canucks or Abby win?!?

Are we destined for playoffs or are you gonna take a chance regarding playoffs the coming season?

• Thanks 2

Latvia was outshot 41:15. Silovs stood on his head only letting in 1 goal.  We have a special goalie.  Is Drance going to finally admit he was wrong about Silvos? Doubt it. The saves Silovs made reminded me of Bubble Demko. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. You don't have the run Silovs is having unless you're legit. 

5 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Latvia was outshot 41:15. Silovs stood on his head only letting in 1 goal.  We have a special goalie.  Is Drance going to finally admit he was wrong about Silvos? Doubt it. 

The chances of Drance ever admitting he was wrong about something are about the same as me hitting a 10 leg parlay. 

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I definately disagree with letting him play in Abby.

One of the more important reasons is we win more games with him in the team.

What is more important?

That the Canucks or Abby win?!?

Are we destined for playoffs or are you gonna take a chance regarding playoffs the coming season?

Agreed, also I think if we get him playing big games in the NHL, 20-30 games in the NHL is probably more important than 60-70 in the AHL. Even if he's just playing back to backs.

Some goalies are slow burners, look like they take a long time to adjust, but he's out here stopping NHL players in the World Championships with a dead-beat team in front of him. Basically the same thing he's going to get in Vancouver lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, also I think if we get him playing big games in the NHL, 20-30 games in the NHL is probably more important than 60-70 in the AHL. Even if he's just playing back to backs.

Some goalies are slow burners, look like they take a long time to adjust, but he's out here stopping NHL players in the World Championships with a dead-beat team in front of him. Basically the same thing he's going to get in Vancouver lol

At least the same defence Demko had for a few years

This is becoming a (good) conundrum.  It is going to be a tough choice what to do with him next season.

He seems ready to play in the NHL, is his best value and development going to be playing 35 games next year behind Demko but getting to work with Ian Clarke every day… or would it be better for him to be the starter in Abby and get more reps in net.

… or his his value gone up to the point where he is a more valuable asset to move than as a back up to Demko who is already signed long term.  Demko is too young to have a successor already being groomed to take over.  Is this a high water mark even, it is a position where very few get to the point of being reliable starters that last a long time.  Many flash in the pan and then fade away.

I don’t think there is a right answer, but all the options are better than the alternative of the guy not playing well.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is becoming a (good) conundrum.  It is going to be a tough choice what to do with him next season.

He seems ready to play in the NHL, is his best value and development going to be playing 39 games next year behind Demko but getting to work with Ian Clarke every day… or would it be better for him to be the starter in Abby and get more reps in net.

… or his his value gone up to the point where he is a more valuable asset to move than as a back up to Demko who is already signed long term.  Demko is too young to have a successor already being groomed to take over.  Is this a high water mark even, it is a position where very few get to the point of being reliable starters that last a long time.  Many flash in the pan and then fade away.

I don’t think there is a right answer, but all the options are better than the alternative of the guy not playing well.

You do the same mistake as a lot of fans here do and it seems GM does also.

We should play the best team. Very simple to do.

Similar to always pick BPA at the draft.

I don’t know where you got the idea from that Demko and Silovs can’t play at the same time. 
Where does that ridiculus idea come from?

The Canucks is a team and a team help eachother.

Silovs is here to get more wins and rest Demko at the same time.

He can be the one and only difference between play off or not.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You do the same mistake as a lot of fans here do and it seems GM does also.

We should play the best team. Very simple to do.

Similar to always pick BPA at the draft.

I don’t know where you got the idea from that Demko and Silovs can’t play at the same time. 

The Canucks is a team and a team help eachother.

Silovs is here to get more wins and rest Demko at the same time.

He can be the one and only difference between play off or not.

Jake Virtanen is the perfect counter-argument. It could be argued that he was better than our other options, but for the long term success of the team, it would've been better for him to stay in Abbotsford longer, as he would've likely developed into a more mature and well-rounded player.

As for them playing at the same time, the argument is simply that only one goalie can be in net at once. If Demko plays 65 games like he can, Silovs will not get much ice time, which could be a concern for his development. That said, a reasonable solution is that if Silovs is good enough, Demko can be limited to more like 55 games and we can give Silovs about 30 games, which can be argued as better for development than 60 AHL games, as long as Silovs is ready for NHL-level play.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I haven’t brushed up on the rule book or hockey strategy lately… but I am still reasonably sure only one goalie is on the ice at any given time.  So, no they can’t play at the same time.

They can however split starts and both be on the roster… literally exactly what I typed in my post as a possible option.

You might want to pull back the reins on telling everyone all the mistakes they are making when you can’t get basic stuff right.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

He seems ready to play in the NHL, is his best value and development going to be playing 35 games next year behind Demko but getting to work with Ian Clarke every day… or would it be better for him to be the starter in Abby and get more reps in net.

Answer is simple.

Keep Silovs. He just turned 22, let him be a backup behind Demko for the next 3-5 years. By then, Demko will be 32-33.

We will see how Demko’s hip holds up in the upcoming years. There’s a good chance if Demko plays well up until he’s a UFA, he’ll price himself out and sign somewhere else for more money, like Markstrom.

That said, Demko better be ready next year. Silovs wont hesitate to quickly take that starting role from him. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1