The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he actually got two goals and an assist, but otherwise, picking up where he left off, and without Madden feeding him. Hope he continues to put up numbers this season.

He seems to have a decent turn of speed (straight line any way ) which bodes well for a player that size

16 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He seems to have a decent turn of speed (straight line any way ) which bodes well for a player that size

He looked pretty quick on his empty netter last game:

McDonough did say he’d been working on his skating during the break and that he felt he’d gained a step or two.

Great to see. I don’t think he won too many foot races last season, but he clearly beat both of the Merrimack Dmen (#23 Kevin Sadowski and #6 Zach Vinnell) to the puck for that empty netter.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He looked pretty quick on his empty netter last game:

McDonough did say he’d been working on his skating during the break and that he felt he’d gained a step or two.

Great to see. I don’t think he won too many foot races last season, but he clearly beat both of the Merrimack Dmen (#23 Kevin Sadowski and #6 Zach Vinnell) to the puck for that empty netter.

We have found our Eriksson replacement!

IMO it became apparent that MacDonough had a good chnace about half way through the previous season ( rookie season ) while most had their eye's on Madden I kept thinking this MacDonough kid is no slouch and true enough he's pushing hard for recognition. To come from that far back a prospect has to have self determination and grit ...IMHO. We've been fortunate to have quite a few late picks showing that is can be done. Gaudette, Rathbone, Costmar,  and of course MacDonough himself. Plus I'm not writing off Tryamkin yet either. All late picks. Our scouting has really picked  the last few years, it's a shame we couldn't keep that group together

Does anyone know why he was picked so late? Was he an over ager? Seems like later rounds Benning and his team of scouts really are on point with evaluating talent. Makes not having first round picks not as horrid as it may seem. Now hopefully they can grab the next kucherov/Benn/burrows :) 

3 minutes ago, Nigerian said:

Does anyone know why he was picked so late? Was he an over ager? Seems like later rounds Benning and his team of scouts really are on point with evaluating talent. Makes not having first round picks not as horrid as it may seem. Now hopefully they can grab the next kucherov/Benn/burrows :)

Yeah, overager late 1999 born, drafted 2019. Also coming out of the undervalued Prep School and USHL pathway. Skating concerns (he’s improved since). And he was a late bloomer, so didn’t hit the scouting radar as early as some other kids.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/19/2020 at 1:51 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, overager late 1999 born, drafted 2019. Also coming out of the undervalued Prep School and USHL pathway. Skating concerns (he’s improved since). And he was a late bloomer, so didn’t hit the scouting radar as early as some other kids.

You da man SID!!

McDonough with a goal and an assist yesterday, and 3 points for the weekend.

Here’s his goal (kid can sure shoot the puck):

Gives him 7 points (3G 4A) in 8 games this season.

Bit of a slower start than I’d hoped for McDonough, but also worth noting that that was only his first power play goal. He scored 9 power play goals last year, so hopefully he’ll now start tallying more regularly on the man advantage, as well as continuing to produce at evens. Would like to see him above a point per game this season.

On the positive side (not that 7 points in 8GP is a negative), McDonough is noticeably faster this season, and it really looks like his offseason skating work is paying dividends.

He also appears to have grown even bigger. He does play with some smaller guys, but he looks like a giant out there. Would not be surprised if McDonough is actually the size that the KHL says Podkolzin is (6’ 3.5”).

(Aidan looks almost a full helmet taller than one of his 5’ 9” teammates. And when he comes into frame on that clip above, he kinda looks like a grown man playing with kids. He’s still listed at 6’ 2” and 200 lbs, but that’s probably an old measurement, and he may have gained an inch or two and maybe another 10-20 lbs. He’s a big boy.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/4/2021 at 11:35 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning's 7th round picks are the equivalent of some teams 1st round picks.  McDonough is a legit 6'3" and 200 pounds.  He could be 6'4" 220 pounds when he is 22.  Podkolzin will be 6'2" 220 pounds.  We will have 2 more legit power forwards in our top 9.  Add in the three Swedes, Hoglander lighting it up with Petey and Costmar on the 4th line doing his best Alex Burrows impersonation and the future looks bright.

Nice post, but feel you omitted 1 key word. Miller, Bo, (maybe Jake?)..it's so damned nice to finally see us building a complete contender, with size included.

Almost like JB's assembling a deluxe model, '94-2011 hybrid here.

• Upvote 1