The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Observations from an armchair hockey fan of the last three games having watched the weekend games at The Aud. Prior to the Wednesday game vs. Binghamton the Defense was rock solid and the offensive transition looked like a well oiled machine across all three lines with crisp passing and speed.  Binghamton game was a grinder and the Comets won 3-1.  Versus Providence the Comets transition across mid ice into the offensive zone was shabby but Comets still outshot the baby Bruins 34 to 25 but not many of the shots were screened or difficult saves.  Right to the end the Comets were in it but just could not buy a goal if it was an empty net.  The wheels came off versus the Amerks.  Payback is a bitch since the first meeting 7-1 in favor of the Comets.  Nothing going offensively all night.  Dump and pray, mid ice turnovers and failure to clear defensive zone.  Defense did nothing to clear the crease and allowed Amerks 2 or 3 whacks at loose pucks for greasy goals.  0-6 on PP and gave up 2 SH.  Boucher's absence was notable.  Next up Binghamton for third time this season at their barn Wednesday. Penguins Friday, Devils again Saturday and then Crunch home Monday matinee game.

Edited by TomatoPieFan
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

No Canucks game tonight but the Comets play tonight.  Comets vs. Devils at 4pm.  AHLTV and Krock is the radio station that covers the games.

I may get off work in time to watch this one. Hopefully the guys come out with a full head of steam tonight, at least it's a bit easier of an apponent. The last 2 games were against some of the best teams in the AHL, was hoping we'd win at least one. But with all the missing bodies they didn't look too great. Have you heard how long Boucher is out for? I also heard Big Mac got injured too? Boucher, Mac, Baertchi, Sautner are big holes to fill for the team! And Gadjovich is still injured too I think? Wish we had better injury updates from Utica. Go Comets!

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I may get off work in time to watch this one. Hopefully the guys come out with a full head of steam tonight, at least it's a bit easier of an apponent. The last 2 games were against some of the best teams in the AHL, was hoping we'd win at least one. But with all the missing bodies they didn't look too great. Have you heard how long Boucher is out for? I also heard Big Mac got injured too? Boucher, Mac, Baertchi, Sautner are big holes to fill for the team! And Gadjovich is still injured too I think? Wish we had better injury updates from Utica. Go Comets!

I am not sure on Boucher but mac was sick and played the last game.

• Thanks 1

I was actually thinking recently that Arseneau may just be a late bloomer who the Canucks should take a chance on signing.  Who wouldn't love to have a player with his size and fistic ability, who is now also adding some offensive skill to his arsenal?  Problem is, who would he bypass on the depth chart and would he actually ever see any NHL time?  Considering the emphasis that Green places on having big, heavy players who can also skate, would he fit in with this team?  Unfortunately, I have my doubts.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I was actually thinking recently that Arseneau may just be a late bloomer who the Canucks should take a chance on signing.  Who wouldn't love to have a player with his size and fistic ability, who is now also adding some offensive skill to his arsenal?  Problem is, who would he bypass on the depth chart and would he actually ever see any NHL time?  Considering the emphasis that Green places on having big, heavy players who can also skate, would he fit in with this team?  Unfortunately, I have my doubts.

I may just be a bit biased because I like watching AHL hockey. But I really like Arseneau. He hits like a frieght train. Hardest, meanest dude on the team hands down. What has been pleasant in the games i've watched is his skating has gotten better, and his defensive/offensive awareness has too. He's actually putting up some points now, and defensively he's actually been good. Perfect for a 4th line winger really. I like your idea, but they would have to sign him, as he's on an AHL only contract I think. And that may be a stretch for the team.