The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if everything goes right?

Rate this topic

John_Guest

24 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

This new Canucks core is the beginning of a new modern dynasty!

19/20 Cup champs, petey wins Art Ross, Hart, lady byng, lindsay and conn smyth.

boeser wins Ŕichard, bo wins selke and king clancy, Hughes wins norris and calder,

demko wins vezina and splits the jennings with marky!

Rinse and repeat for the next 10 years

20/21 juolevi wins calder

21/22 podz wins calder

#Nailedit

The truth is, we're already heading out of a rebuild only 5 years into it (yes it's still a very long time), and looking very good. These media hacks follow teams that we have humiliated by rebuilding  quickly and efficiently (think Buffalo, Edmonton, Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa, Florida, Carolina etc...). 

Compared to the above teams' rebuilds, we are looking phenomenal. Some of those teams took 10+ years to become less of a joke than they were... some are still just as sad as ever (Edmonton and Buffalo I'm looking at you two).

We have every piece we need:

Top 2 centers in Horvat and Pettersson

Top Wingers in Boeser and Podkolzin

Number 1 dman in Hughes

Steady Top 4 in Juolevi and Myers

Great goaltending in Marky Demko and DiPietro

Great role players in Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, MacEwen, Gaudette, Virtanen, Tryamkin etc...

We'll be fine

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

This still isn’t a playoff roster.

Especially the D, as crazy as that sounds. 

Edler in the playoffs? Shivers.

Meyers? Oh boy... doesn’t anybody watch enough hockey to know what I mean?

QH in his own end or heading up ice with no whistles? Yikes. 

Tanev won’t last one series of playoff hockey.

Benn is a playoff guy, maybe even Stetch. 

I could keep going.

Anything can happen. I could be the GM and you could make the team, using that same positivity, but it’s only an emotion, not an objective strategy. We play the game of ifs and buts a little too much when assessing this team’s chances, IMO. 

we can look at it that way for sure. I agree the D is still in need of some improvement but we dont have to have a true number 1-2. Just the fact that when not if Edler and or Tanev go down that we have Myers and Benn instead of Hutton and Stecher and Biega, makes me a little more optimistic as to our playoff chances, They were right there until they couldnt survive without Tanev and Edler.

The playoffs are a completely different animal and as the roster is today it might be a short playoff run but just getting into the tournament should excite the younger players and give them a taste of what it takes to go further in the playoffs.

The true wild card in this whole season will be the play of Markstrom. If he can take it to the next level and play well behind this Defense, we might have a different opinion of this team come playoff time. Again like you said anything could happen, I am just feeling a  bit more positive about the changes than you are

Not everything is going to go right obviously but I predict a decent amount will and we will end our playoff drought.  Got a funny feeling 2021 is going to be a special year too, don't ask me why.

We've enterted the stage where more should go right as compared to the last four years where we had a lot more "if this happens" factors.

Pettersson should be better

Boeser should be better

Horvat should hit 30 goals

Hughes will have a positive impact

Miller will make us better

Myers and Benn improve our D

Goaltending should be better

Virtanen should be better, 20 goals

Pearson should be better 

We have better depth in Gaudette, Leivo, Roussel, Motte, Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves.

Edler and Tanev should benefit from additions on D and new depth signings. Possibly less injury prone from not carrying entire worload.

Wildcards include Eriksson and Sutter. We need them to be good and healthy. Hopefully new dynamics pull them forward. Also need Beagle to stay healthy. Goldobin needs to put it together. Have no clue how Baertschi will play out ... could bounce back healthy or not. 

I see way more things going right than not next season from an organic place. 

• Upvote 1

OP, which radio stations are you listening to?

NHL Network radio has said thing like "Pettersson is the kind of star you build your offense around, might be tickling tripple digit numbers (point totals) in a couple years."

"Markstrom proved he is a number one goal tender last year"

13 hours ago, MattJVD said:

OP, which radio stations are you listening to?

TSN and Sportsnet. Listening to sportsnet right now. I prefer Sportsnet but I'm listening to them right now and they're busy bashing the Ferland trade where last week they were bashing the Canucks for not doing enough.

But yeah, every once in awhile they all point out the obvious. Then it's like, 'Hey, don't be telling me I'm all full of pee and pessimism because there was that one time when I said Pettersson doesn't suck.'

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

TSN and Sportsnet. Listening to sportsnet right now. I prefer Sportsnet but I'm listening to them right now and they're busy bashing the Ferland trade where last week they were bashing the Canucks for not doing enough.

But yeah, every once in awhile they all point out the obvious. Then it's like, 'Hey, don't be telling me I'm all full of pee and pessimism because there was that one time when I said Pettersson doesn't suck.'

Ferland was a signing not a trade

25 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Ferland was a signing not a trade

Yeah, I know. I was just reading around and remembering that, wondering if I should go back and edit, thinking it was most likely too late.

Then I smiled remembering this typo I saw last week, someplace else, where this guy said he was "pussed". He meant to use an I for the U. That was funny. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1