The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if everything goes right?

Rate this topic

John_Guest

Miller, Myers, and a full season of Quinn Hughes is HUGE. Expecting improvement out of Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwan and hoping Juolevi can crack the roster when he’s healthy. Our depth will be way better this year and I know this team can make the playoffs but I try not to get my hopes up too much. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

You’ve been watching that long and haven’t figured out yet that us winning a cup is not going to be a regular thing, there is a lot of hockey in between even final appearances (of which we actually have more then most of the clubs since we came in), and for us a lot of losing too.   I own a shirt although it was given to me and way too small.  I like it because the logo rocks and because it reminds me of that team.   As fans their is a lot more to enjoy then just winning a cup, if you don’t and you’ve followed this team long enough you will end up in an institution or have ulcerative colitis waiting for one as the only thing that matters. 

I get that maybe Benning pulled the plug a bit early but I also get why he did it.  OJ not working out so far is the biggest failure and it’s pushing him to move forward.   The entire core will be in their early prime and some members possibly on their way out already before any defenseman he drafts come in from this year or future drafts.   And he’s already drafted the magic number(s) of guys he can afford to keep once they are all RFAs.    Sure more will never hurt, now he has to focus on hitting on them with later picks for the future of the team five years down the road.  Like it or not the tanking phase is over.   

Hes done better then I expected anyone to do coming in,  maybe that’s because I’ve watched them too long or I’m just a realist (no top team gets away without paying the piper...well Detroit did but only kind of, they still had a half dozen guys from their old core helping Zettberg and Datsyuk) ... the Keenan days seemed a lot darker then these even if it ended up a short turn around thanks to Naslund and the Linden haul, something Benning was never going to get with MG clauses.  

Enjoy the process Bubbles.  And EP, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Podz, Hughes, Demko etc.

We need a new set of eyes that doesn’t overrate our players. Our drafting success will remain the same because Bracket is the man behind the scenes Benning is taking credit for. The same thing needs to happen as the Gillis takeover. In hindsight Nonis/ Burke built the core and Gillis polished it up. 

• Wat 2

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sooo...your saying there’s a chance?  Might be the nicest thing you’ve said.

Don’t fret the lottery, we won’t win it anyways and even without adding Myers and Miller we would still be climbing not receding, maybe even make the playoffs.  Like it or not, holes or not, Bennings already created a bubble team.   Three years of rebuilding and five years of fixing the prospect pool despite the re-tool did that.  Did he go all in too early.  Maybe.  He bet his job that he didn’t though, and yes it might cost him.

On next years draft.  I follow prospects and the ones coming up way too much, thinking it might help my hockey pool (which it does) and next years draft is way overhyped on the CDC, a few posted it’s going to be great and the rest have parroted it.  Not once have I read in the Future Watch that it’s going to be one of the best in the last decade, or even more ridiculous (I’ve read this on this site) one of the best ever. 

Outside of Lafrenierre not much has been talked about in North America about Hotlz, yes in Sweden they gush over him.  Byfield got some press as going first overall in the OHL here in ONT but haven’t seen much anywhere else...of the top ten I’m sure nobody here knows much of anything about them (yet).  If it’s supposedly so good then why hasn’t it received any more press then this years, or last years?  Hughes and Dahlin were just as hyped as Lafreniere, Mathews more so, and of course lord McDavid.  A year before the draft.   Temper expectations a bit.  And don’t stress too much over missing out, a good draft I’m sure it will be, but a great draft?  We won’t really know for five plus years..

My point wasn’t about the draft it was about being “so Canucks” it will be the best draft in a decade if we make the playoffs. If we don’t, 1999 comparisons will be made. 

13 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

We need a new set of eyes that doesn’t overrate our players. Our drafting success will remain the same because Bracket is the man behind the scenes Benning is taking credit for. The same thing needs to happen as the Gillis takeover. In hindsight Nonis/ Burke built the core and Gillis polished it up. 

Bracket has a lot of guys doing a good job absolutely.  Delmore gets credit for EP but he wasn’t the guy who discovered him, that was the local scout who had ties to our organization who watched both Dahlen and EP.   Benning gets the credit.   I agree Burke and Nonis built the Sedin team, and Gillis polished it up.   What are we arguing over again I’m not sure ha ha?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bracket has a lot of guys doing a good job absolutely.  Delmore gets credit for EP but he wasn’t the guy who discovered him, that was the local scout who had ties to our organization who watched both Dahlen and EP.   Benning gets the credit.   I agree Burke and Nonis built the Sedin team, and Gillis polished it up.   What are we arguing over again I’m not sure ha ha?

I’m not here to argue. My opinion isn’t popular so everyone calls me a troll. Criticism of JB on CDC comes with blind intolerance. On the bright side, it’s opened my eyes a lot. I now know how it felt being gay in the 60’s. 

• Wat 5
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

This is a very stupid sentence.

Perhaps the stupidest thing I've seen here in months, including the dude that posted his belief that being gay was a choice,.

If some one on this forum, or more likely a group of people on this forum beat you up until you fear for your life, then you will get a tiny bit of a true idea about how it felt to be gay in the 60's.

I rest my case. 

• Wat 3

I have been a bit of a homer as it comes to the direction of the Canucks. I saw what Benning was trying to do as soon as ownership allowed a rebuild.

There is still work to do, but I feel we are poised to get there quite quickly.

- We used to have no prospects.  Now we have some really good ones and a real ton of question marks guys.

- We used to have little grit, size and intensity.  Now we do. Tryamkin next season should put us over the top.

- We have a truly elite player who came out of the gates and scored almost a point per game in his rookie season and will only get better.  And far stronger.

- Markstrom played great for us last season but was statistically outplayed by our up and coming backup. We will be set one way or another which is HUGE. 

- Take last year's numbers from a group of young guys... add in extra for one more year of experience (I'm talking to you JV) and chemistry, then Miller and a full year of an improved Hughes and our scoring goes up noticeably. Yes we could use one or two top six talents but that is what we addressed in the draft so it's coming.

- Our defense could still use a high end scorer and won't be the envy of the league but it should be a good, solid group that can both defend and score more than last year.

These are a lot of improvements that will come together with other teams we regularly play NOT improving to bring us into the playoffs.

Honestly, I believe the only way we don't get into the playoffs is if we have key players out for long periods again... and even then we finally have some depth to deal with that.

Gonna be a fun season, boys and girls.

• Upvote 4

Way too much what if.. if its couple I say sure. We are talking about 

1. Pettersson needs to be as good if not better than he was during the 1st half

2. Boeser continues to score and be a 30+ goal scorer

3. Miller will work out 100% 

4. Virtanen all of a sudden becomes a legit nhl player with around 20 goals

5. Defense all of a sudden start scoring way more than it did in previous season

6. Markstrom continue his 2nd half vezina like form

7. Defense supposively gotten way better since most of you rank myer the worse defensive defenseman we have maybe even worse than Hutton. 

8. Everyone stays healthy

9. Everyone in the west sucks 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

“Discovered him”?:blush:

That would be some serious reaching of someone looking for credit for EP being drafted here, contextually. 

So what if this scout saw EP first? So? 

Eventually, every player gets a look or two before the draft, especially standouts, like EP. that first look didn’t get EP drafted at #5, so who cares, being my point. 

Picking him at 5 was a gamble, I will give the scouts that. They knocked it out of the park, or maybe they were just lucky he was there at #5 still. We don’t know.

The Canucks were so incredibly bad at drafting that this new regime has god status, which I think is hardly the case. There’s been enough obvious misses to not get too carried away with anointing them as our saviours. 

If Hughes has a Calder year, Peterson progresses, Boeser progresses, Horvat progresses, Miller proves to be a top 6 forward, Myers has a 40+ season, Edler has a 40+ season. Our d stays relatively healthy, Markström has another solid year and Virtanen has a break out year, we will make the play offs  

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Way too much what if.. if its couple I say sure. We are talking about 

1. Pettersson needs to be as good if not better than he was during the 1st half

2. Boeser continues to score and be a 30+ goal scorer

3. Miller will work out 100% 

4. Virtanen all of a sudden becomes a legit nhl player with around 20 goals

5. Defense all of a sudden start scoring way more than it did in previous season

6. Markstrom continue his 2nd half vezina like form

7. Defense supposively gotten way better since most of you rank myer the worse defensive defenseman we have maybe even worse than Hutton. 

8. Everyone stays healthy

9. Everyone in the west sucks 

To say that you need this,this and this to win is a bit black and white and not very accurate. There are so many variables it is impossible to say one way or another. Your D can suck but if your goalie stands on his head, you win the game. You can win a game 1-0 or 10-9.  You can suck 5 on 5 but if your PP is firing on all cylinders, you win the game.

All you can do is put 23 guys together and see if they can put something together to win games. 

We have improved in areas we needed to improve on from last season and that alone should give us a better chance at being successful this year. 

If management/ownership is actively trying to improve the team every year and they are willing to spend to the cap every year, then I am happy with that and I am confident that they are doing everything in their power to help this team succeed. 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Jester13 said:

He's the General Manager! He hired Brackett, and promoted him, and oversees him, so he should get credit. He also gets credit for hiring a great head coach, and a great goalie coach, and so many other things that he's done well as the MANAGER of our team. Yeesh.

Where are the several Judd Brackett threads then?

Why give credit to the wrong person who just oversees the results of other people’s work? 

There’s so many threads about JB because they’re needed. Where there’s smoke... 

TG should get all the headlines and credit for EP’s season too then. AF should get credit for “the rebuild”. Etc. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Hey guess what?  We got rid of Pooalot who was personally responsible for about 1 goal every game.  His replacement is Jordie Benn.  Let's say he is personally responsible for 20 which I'd say is reasonable.  That's 62 less goals against us.  That already makes us a playoff team :bigblush:

Thought it seemed natural that Pooalot would wind up as a Coiler.

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

you're on to something... im just waiting for the wrest (Futurama Phil meme)

Edited by Schneider.Man604

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

I have been a bit of a homer as it comes to the direction of the Canucks. I saw what Benning was trying to do as soon as ownership allowed a rebuild.

There is still work to do, but I feel we are poised to get there quite quickly.

- We used to have no prospects.  Now we have some really good ones and a real ton of question marks guys.

- We used to have little grit, size and intensity.  Now we do. Tryamkin next season should put us over the top.

- We have a truly elite player who came out of the gates and scored almost a point per game in his rookie season and will only get better.  And far stronger.

- Markstrom played great for us last season but was statistically outplayed by our up and coming backup. We will be set one way or another which is HUGE. 

- Take last year's numbers from a group of young guys... add in extra for one more year of experience (I'm talking to you JV) and chemistry, then Miller and a full year of an improved Hughes and our scoring goes up noticeably. Yes we could use one or two top six talents but that is what we addressed in the draft so it's coming.

- Our defense could still use a high end scorer and won't be the envy of the league but it should be a good, solid group that can both defend and score more than last year.

These are a lot of improvements that will come together with other teams we regularly play NOT improving to bring us into the playoffs.

Honestly, I believe the only way we don't get into the playoffs is if we have key players out for long periods again... and even then we finally have some depth to deal with that.

Gonna be a fun season, boys and girls.

I might have a totally unpopular response here but... I blieve Boesers rookie campaign was more exciting than Peteys. Boeser was unreal sniping shots like Ovie (even better than ovie) I remember being at work and getting updates on my phone EVERY game that Boeser had scored. Tbh Brock was unbelievable at 23rd overall and hopefully injuries wont stop that. Guy is a beast and we have an awesome future!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1