The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was born on a farm. Northern England

Lots of time around horses. My sisters used to compete alot. 

That said I am having a hard time trying to figure out what you are trying to type in general.

well you keep replying so you must of figured it out  , so your sister rode in competitions  just like the in stampede  then 

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Looking at this article it's clear it is a complex entity - the Stampede that is.  One thing that stood out right away is that the city leases the land to the Stampeded for free essentially  ($10.00 for 50 year lease).  This is an enormous cost they don't incur. 

The land was actually original owned by the stampede. It was then bought by R.B. Bennett who then gifted it to the city under the circumstance that the city would then lease it back to the Calgary Stampede. So really the city’s basically obligated to do so

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This struck me though :

When all is said and done, the Stampede has run operational surpluses of about $2 million to $3 million in each of the past five years. (Without government grants, its operations were in a deficit position of roughly $4.5 million to $7.5 million each year)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4735486

The city gives it 7.5 million every year because it brings in 300 million to the city of Calgary. Pretty smart investment if you ask me. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the grinder said:

so you want no animals competing what so ever then ?

Oh, I don't know.

But I think it is important to talk about it.

This thread started out like a flash, with the over used accusations of hypocrisy being thrown around.

I hope we continue to be concerned for suffering of the the animals we consume and use for sport. 

I would look at getting rid of, or modifying events at the Stampede that result in high rates of mortality and injury.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, I don't know.

But I think it is important to talk about it.

This thread started out like a flash, with the over used accusations of hypocrisy being thrown around.

I hope we continue to be concerned for suffering of the the animals we consume and use for sport. 

I would look at getting rid of, or modifying events at the Stampede that result in high rates of mortality and injury.

Is it 3 horses already dead so far this year..... ?   

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The city gives it 7.5 million every year because it brings in 300 million to the city of Calgary. Pretty smart investment if you ask me. 

Yes, it's money well donated.   But I find it hard to understand how an entity which has such an enormous economic impact on the city can't sustain it's own operating costs independently?   I'm not arguing with you,  I'm just perplexed by this?

• Cheers 1

All I know is that if I hear the words "Chuckwagon Race", the first image that pops into my head is dead horses. Why is that? Because EVERY YEAR horses die at the Calgary Stampede competing in a crazy dangerous pointless exercise called a chuckwagon race. But hey, I eat meat so I guess that makes me some kind of SJW hypocrite that has no right to speak about anything because reasons. Does anybody else believe the only reason we get so much coverage of the Stampede every July is because CBC has to fulfill a certain quota of Canadian content, regardless if nobody outside of Calgary is actually watching onTV? I mean, seriously, how many time have you ever heard this; "Hey, come on over every night this week and we'll have a Calgary Stampede watch party/barbecue/tailgate party." Me either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I did, well I stopped eating the moderately smart and cute animals. I still eat fish and chicken, but not often at all. 

I stopped eating cow and pig due to the hypocrisy of eating something that is as smart as my dog. I don't miss it at all and I might be in the best shape of my life. 

I wonder how many people 'rescue' a dog or weep at a Sarah Mclachlan animal adoption commercial....

Meanwhile, many may think those Koreans that breed dogs for food are disgusting, as they wipe the bacon grease off their hypocritical chins.

I say we replace the rodeo animals with death row convicts, then you might get me watching. 

We should pitch that idea to CS.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Yes, it's money well donated.   But I find it hard to understand how an entity which has such an enormous economic impact on the city can't sustain it's own operating costs independently?   I'm not arguing with you,  I'm just perplexed by this?

Well first off the stampede is a non profit. It only runs for 10 days a year but employs 1000's of people full time year round.  They donate a ton of money and time back into to the community. They annually give 2.5 million to Canadian youth programs.  And they do a ton of other things for the rural area's. For example off the top of my head. they have a portable music stage that is free for anyone who wants to use year round. This is great for small communities who set up small town music festivals.  I go to the one these every year which is called. Southern Alberta Music Festival held at Aspen Crossing (in a small town called mossleigh).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

All I know is that if I hear the words "Chuckwagon Race", the first image that pops into my head is dead horses. Why is that? Because EVERY YEAR horses die at the Calgary Stampede competing in a crazy dangerous pointless exercise called a chuckwagon race. But hey, I eat meat so I guess that makes me some kind of SJW hypocrite that has no right to speak about anything because reasons. Does anybody else believe the only reason we get so much coverage of the Stampede every July is because CBC has to fulfill a certain quota of Canadian content, regardless if nobody outside of Calgary is actually watching onTV? I mean, seriously, how many time have you ever heard this; "Hey, come on over every night this week and we'll have a Calgary Stampede watch party/barbecue/tailgate party." Me either.

The rodeo is a culture for a lot of people. You may not agree with that culture, and that’s fine. Don’t go to the rodeo. You’re not going to go up to a cowboy and change his mind so why even bother? You going to go free all the horses? 

2 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

You eat meat? 

I don't eat meat,    there are a million different ways to feed ourselves , all the amazing grains, vegetables, fruit, mmm so good.  Please be humane to animals, they provide us with so much.

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Bubble Man said:

The rodeo is a culture for a lot of people. You may not agree with that culture, and that’s fine. Don’t go to the rodeo. You’re not going to go up to a cowboy and change his mind so why even bother? You going to go free all the horses? 

Don't be so extreme. I would end the Chuckwagon race to prevent needless death to horses and potential injuries to drivers and/or riders. I have no issues with other rodeo events, but then again I don't watch rodeo, not for any sociopolitical reasons, but because it doesn't interest me. For everyone who loves it, fill your boots.