The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

MMMM.... all that evolution!!! We are soooo sophistimicated on the West Coast

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 9.06.37 AM.png

My academic position has me working closely with the agricultural industry – farmers, feed companies

Look, there are arguments for both sides and no one's saying "eat Beyond Meat" every day.  Just like eating meat everyday isn't the best idea.  This is alternative for those still wanting a fast food "burger" at times.  

Anyone thinking mass produced meat is any better needs to learn of the dyes, additives, etc. used to keep the (rotting?) carcasses "intact".  The stuff they feed the animals, the hormones they use, etc.

I am in the middle - moderation in all things.  But, the more I see things for what they really are, the more it makes sense to make sure and go for things that aren't part of mass production.  

You're kidding yourself if you think the meat you buy at the grocery store is pure.  I wonder if they're grinding up chuckwagon horses after they scrape them off the track?

Last I checked, it isn't  'West Coast' thing to steer away from mass produced meat..unless it's still the us versus them Alberta beef.

https://www.ecowatch.com/5-dangerous-substances-big-ag-pumps-into-your-meat-1881903038.html

I guess we all (me included) should get back to rodeo talk. 

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're kidding yourself if you think the meat you buy at the grocery store is pure.

This is one of the reasons why I grind my own meat. I know exactly what the meat is and the ratio.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Honestly, it's the only true way to be sure.

The more i learn about Meat.... so much of the info is disturbing.....  the more i am turning Vegetarian...........    

I pretty much no longer eat any red meat ....   I wonder if i can get to just fish in the next year....

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Look, there are arguments for both sides and no one's saying "eat Beyond Meat" every day.  Just like eating meat everyday isn't the best idea.  This is alternative for those still wanting a fast food "burger" at times.  

Anyone thinking mass produced meat is any better needs to learn of the dyes, additives, etc. used to keep the (rotting?) carcasses "intact".  The stuff they feed the animals, the hormones they use, etc.

I am in the middle - moderation in all things.  But, the more I see things for what they really are, the more it makes sense to make sure and go for things that aren't part of mass production.  

You're kidding yourself if you think the meat you buy at the grocery store is pure.  I wonder if they're grinding up chuckwagon horses after they scrape them off the track?

Last I checked, it isn't  'West Coast' thing to steer away from mass produced meat..unless it's still the us versus them Alberta beef.

https://www.ecowatch.com/5-dangerous-substances-big-ag-pumps-into-your-meat-1881903038.html

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

What's childish is your utter ignorance towards the lack of empathy of innocent animals being slaughtered by the billions daily. THAT'S CHILDISH!

Ignorant comments where companies are trying to save the planet and animals from mass slaughter, and guy takes a fear mongering image he found on google is IRRESPONSIBLE and pathetic. I stand by my comments. 

Does this sound smart? "LOZL MY OMG WHER suppoZZZED TO BE PROgrezzive on the WESTCOAST LOLOL"

Okay first off what other reason is there cattle and I mean beef cattle not dairy? 

alot of animals are raised to feed people. It's your choice if you want to eat a steak or not no one forces you....

how is feeding people childish? 

Not everyone likes red bean chili burgers ( there not bad but I still like the real thing)

if you just said the bolded part it would have been a discussion 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Okay first off what other reason is there cattle and I mean beef cattle not dairy? 

alot of animals are raised to feed people. It's your choice if you want to eat a steak or not no one forces you....

how is feeding people childish? 

Not everyone likes red bean chili burgers ( there not bad but I still like the real thing)

if you just said the bolded part it would have been a discussion but you picked to be childish by making a rude remake instead of acting like an adult and having a discussion.....

So while we're at it, should we raise dogs to feed people? should we mass produce dogs in farms and kill them in mass so we can feed people? I want to understand your logic. 

If we're talking about feeding people, did you know world hunger would be solved in 20 days if everyone was plant based? why? because we wouldn't be dedicating resources to feed animals, do you know how much water/food a cow needs and then it's sent to slaughter to feed maybe 100 people? it's extremely inefficient, in fact it's borderline idiotic. 

Just now, The Vancouver Connection said:

I understand, but it seems like I'm being censored, when others are on the other side of the argument have free will to say anything and post misinformation. 

When you call people who differ in lifestyle “low IQ rednecks”, “scum bags”, and then “overweight and bald”, then yeah, you’ll get a warning and posts hidden.

Name calling is childish, inappropriate, and people won’t take your arguments seriously. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

So while we're at it, should we raise dogs to feed people? should we mass produce dogs in farms and kill them in mass so we can feed people? I want to understand your logic. 

If we're talking about feeding people, did you know world hunger would be solved in 20 days if everyone was plant based? why? because we wouldn't be dedicating resources to feed animals, do you know how much water/food a cow needs and then it's sent to slaughter to feed maybe 100 people? it's extremely inefficient, in fact it's borderline idiotic. 

Difference between dogs and cattle...a dog has many different purposes and beef cattle have one purpose...so with what your saying if we didn't eat beef it would become over populated and the wildlife would suffer and  if you take cattle right out the picture the crops would suffer cause a lot of farmers use fertilizer from cattle or other animals raised for slaughter... The water no cause I always had a natural source and with rotating grazing you only need I would say 1/2 an acre pure cow calf pair... I see your side but people will always eat meat farm raised or wild and you know how much land you need for a crop to feed 100 people? Why you think farmers markets charge more for their veggies? 

50 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

So while we're at it, should we raise dogs to feed people? 

Well...yes.  food is good.  You could clear up the pet overpopulation issue and solve hunger in greatly impoverished areas for a time.  

I also would suggest no more graveyards because it's invariably land that could house or reed people and that there should be incentives for people to grow fruit trees and gardens. Their yards.

Mass production of food is terrible.  Period.

But with almost 8 billion people on the planet we need to consider all the options

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Some of us shoot our own dinner. City slicker. :gocan:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

Do you have any idea how hectares of land is required to sustain that? Wave bye bye to rain forests around the world. The rain forests in South America have already been damaged by the massive amount of almond and avocado farming. 

Also, did you take in to account that the average person simply can't afford that lifestyle? Almond milk is at least $3 more than dairy milk in most stores. Not eating meat is a privilege and choice. Treat it like religion: stop shoving it in people's face's and stop demonizing those who don't agree with you.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but you clearly don't know much about farming or the impact that a solely plant based diet has on the economy and the ecosystem.

Please research the subject a little more thoroughly. Farmers and ranchers make their living off the land and they do everything they can to protect it. Anyone who has actually read an agricultural magazine (or even googled "farming") knows that there are many groups constantly conducting studies on how to minimize our impact on the environment and streamline the process to limit waste.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well...yes.  food is good.  You could clear up the pet overpopulation issue and solve hunger in greatly impoverished areas for a time.  

I also would suggest no more graveyards because it's invariably land that could house or reed people and that there should be incentives for people to grow fruit trees and gardens. Their yards.

Mass production of food is terrible.  Period.

But with almost 8 billion people on the planet we need to consider all the options

Not sure our op @kingofsurrey will like that one.

• Haha 1