The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tonight we're going to party....like it's Germany 1937?

6 minutes ago, Baer. said:

It's like saying Canadians and Americans aren't very different. He's not lying. Doesn't mean it isn't their land. Judaism is not the only religion native to that area. Israel is an unrecognized nation and it's people are banned from over 100 countries.

Damn, this thread is gonna get locked in 3...2...1...

Islam comes from the Arabian peninsula and it's not exactly clear where Christianity is from. 

It's not our fault that lots of countries don't recognize Israel. I don't know how to explain why we don't have global recognition but the reality is that we have the right to exist as a nation and if you don't agree with that I'm not getting into a debate with you. 

Edited by morrissex95

2 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Islam comes from the Arabian peninsula and it's not exactly clear where Christianity is from. 

It's not our fault that lots of countries don't recognize Israel. I don't know how to explain why we don't have global recognition but the reality is that we have the right to exist as a nation and if you don't agree with that I'm not getting into a debate with you. 

Agree to disagree :)

Can you expand a bit and drop some knowledge? I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the plight of Jewish people. Banned in 100 countries? That sounds crazy.

I get the basic premise of what happened after WWII but why have they suffered so much hatred all along?

• Like 1

It's very clear where Christianity is from.  It's an off-shoot of Judaism.  Basically the founding Christians are Jews who believed that the promised messiah had come and they splintered off and created Christianity, and then 200-300 years later after orders from a Roman Emperor, a New Testament.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Baer. said:

It's like saying Canadians and Americans aren't very different. He's not lying. Doesn't mean it isn't their land. Judaism is not the only religion native to that area. Israel is an unrecognized nation and it's people are banned from over 100 countries.

Damn, this thread is gonna get locked in 3...2...1...

Unrecognized by whom?

6 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Unrecognized by whom?

I'd have to Google his claim about being banned in over 100 countries, but he's not wrong about Israel having countries that refuse to recognize it as a nation.  Not surprisingly though that roughly half are from the Arab League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_Israel#Present_situation

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's very clear where Christianity is from.  It's an off-shoot of Judaism.  Basically the founding Christians are Jews who believed that the promised messiah had come and they splintered off and created Christianity, and then 200-300 years later after orders from a Roman Emperor, a New Testament.

Actually, without getting into a huge debate here, the Roman Emperor had nothing to do with the formation of the Christian New Testament. By 135-145AD, 26 of the 29 New Testament books were accepted as part of the Christian canon. There are so many New Testament references in the writings of the early church fathers of the early 2nd century that by 145AD you could reconstruct all 29 books of the New Testament.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd have to Google his claim about being banned in over 100 countries, but he's not wrong about Israel having countries that refuse to recognize it as a nation.  Not surprisingly though that roughly half are from the Arab League.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_Israel#Present_situation

Great countries like Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, North Korea, Venezuela, Bangladesh etc.

Can not wait to take my next vacation there.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

As a Jew this make me really sad.

Made it's time we all moved to Israel 

no

stay where you are

there are enough of us

that will stand up for you

some of us know history

and will do whatever it takes

to ensure there is not a repeat

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

Actually, without getting into a huge debate here, the Roman Emperor had nothing to do with the formation of the Christian New Testament. By 135-145AD, 26 of the 29 New Testament books were accepted as part of the Christian canon. There are so many New Testament references in the writings of the early church fathers of the early 2nd century that by 145AD you could reconstruct all 29 books of the New Testament.

I apologize.  I should have been more clear. 

The books were written of course but it was during the First Council of Nicaea a few hundred years later where the accepted canon was separated from the apocrypha and where the bishops decided/confirmed that Christianity was in fact monotheistic rather than polytheistic (holy trinity).

You caught me being lazy.  ^_^

Edited by SabreFan1

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Great countries like Afghanistan, Somalia, Sudan, North Korea, Venezuela, Bangladesh etc.

:lol:

To be honest though, I'd bet my bottom dollar itwould be more if the US hadn't thrown it's support behind Israel.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

18 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The books were written of course but it was during the First Council of Nicaea a few hundred years later where the accepted canon was separated from the apocrypha and where the bishops decided/confirmed that Christianity was in fact monotheistic rather than polytheistic (holy trinity).

Whoops.  I caught myself.  It's been well over 30 years since my Sunday school days.  I double checked the canon/apocrypha at the council.  It was discussed of course but had already been mostly decided by then and wasn't finalized until after the council disbanded.

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No problem, it's always good to have a friendly discussion. That being the case, your above statement is really only half correct.

The New Testament Canon was already firmly established by the time the Council of Nicea came along in 325AD. Since there was no email, internet, social media, post mail, phone calls, fax etc.... it took a while before any official documentation or wide-spread agreement was known. For the most part, the agreement was there, knowledge of agreement, well....that's another story.

The Christian Councils never establish/created church doctrine, they declared in official ceremony and documentation what the Christian doctrine always was.  At the Council of Nicea, over 300 Bishops met to deal with a small, but powerful sect called the "Aryans" who arose out of the Gnostic sects of the 2nd century. Arius, the leader of the Aryans was attempting to push the Gnostic belief that Jesus was not divine, but only a man. The Nicean Council just officially confirmed what the church always believed about the divinity of Jesus and thus, "officially" condemned Arius and his followers as heretics. The Council didn't create the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus, they just officially upheld it.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

No problem, it's always good to have a friendly discussion. That being the case, your above statement is really only half correct.

The New Testament Canon was already firmly established by the time the Council of Nicea came along in 325AD. Since there was no email, internet, social media, post mail, phone calls, fax etc.... it took a while before any official documentation or wide-spread agreement was known. For the most part, the agreement was there, knowledge of agreement, well....that's another story.

The Christian Councils never establish/created church doctrine, they declared in official ceremony and documentation what the Christian doctrine always was.  At the Council of Nicea, over 300 Bishops met to deal with a small, but powerful sect called the "Aryans" who arose out of the Gnostic sects of the 2nd century. Arius, the leader of the Aryans was attempting to push the Gnostic belief that Jesus was not divine, but only a man. The Nicean Council just officially confirmed what the church always believed about the divinity of Jesus and thus, "officially" condemned Arius and his followers as heretics. The Council didn't create the doctrine of the divinity of Jesus, they just officially upheld it.

Look at my above post.  I already caught my mistake.  My decades old Sunday school came rushing back and bugged me enough to fact check the canon/apocrypha.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sorry, the correct word was expelled. I have edited my post.

46 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I hear a Somali cruise is is a "can't miss" holiday....

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Sorry, the correct word was expelled. I have edited my post.

I'll have to take your word for how many countries Jews have been expelled from.  Nothing that I've read comes immediately to mind as to a number.  Most of what I can think of is that historically Jews were basically chased from one nation to another.  It's one of the reason why I laugh when people b*tch and complain about Jews being in historically rich and powerful positions like banking and other financial industries.  It was and still is to an extent in some countries by necessity.  If you're part of a group that is persecuted, you'll do everything you can to insulate yourself.  Money and the power that comes with it are two of the best ways to do that.