The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For those that think JB doesn't have a plan.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

This is mostly for those people who Doubt if JB has a plan.

https://biv.com/article/2016/12/data-shapes-canucks-strategy-and-ice

This is an old article that I came across. Most Canucks fans probably don't even recognize the name Jonathan Wall  But as the article points out he has worked for the Canucks for a very long time (since the Brian Burke era) and if you want some insight on how an NHL team operates from the in side. Then this is a very interesting article to start with.

P.S. 

It is truly the dog days of summer and I miss the games already. So I went back into the archives to read past stories of the Canucks. I need Hockey back soon and some Canuck playoffs this year or I'm going MAD.

• Upvote 1

846667729_canuckslogowhale-001.jpgsmall.pdnjb.jpg.f4a8104655a4ec913494a444ddc66f05.jpg Jim needs one HEALTHY season for a playoff spot!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 6string said:

846667729_canuckslogowhale-001.jpgsmall.pdnjb.jpg.f4a8104655a4ec913494a444ddc66f05.jpg Jim needs one HEALTHY season for a playoff spot!

Some what agree. I think the Canucks have the depth to make the playoffs.

I actually believe that if they stay healthy they can be 4th or 5th in the Conference

They miss only if the train comes completely off the tracks when talking about injuries. 

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Jim Benning has a plan.

He just doesn't bother going about explaining it to people as to uphold the element of surprise.

You should know this XD

Mark my words the Canucks are going to be comparable to the Trump campaign. The polls show he can't win but he does anyways.

except JB is not going to be telling all of us he is going to make the playoffs. But the Canucks will be great again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Mark my words the Canucks are going to be comparable to the Trump campaign. The polls show he can't win but he does anyways.

except JB is not going to be telling all of us he is going to make the playoffs. But the Canucks will be great again. 

I still remember the day Trump was elected.

I was out at a store when the results were coming in and everyone was shocked and whispering about Trump. I couldn't believe it was actually happening.

But please let's end the comparisons between our beloved Canucks and good old uncle Donny there.

• Upvote 2

The reasons for the Canucks to be better next season.

All you got to do is look at the advance stats of Markstrom and the whole story is told. He had the highest amount of high percentage shots in the league last year.

Hutton was on the ice for a great portion of them. Who was second worse if you said Pouliot your right. What two players are not going to be on the team next season.

Who replaces those two players Benn, I wonder what he is good at. I will let you figure it out.

So there is a stat that I know Agents follow when it comes to Defenceman, I will look up the name and post it later. But it Follows first assists  and high percentage chances that could have been capitalize from the passer. Take a guess who scores well on it. If you said Myers you would be right little side note guess who scores poorly on it if you guessed Gardiner you would be right again.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

The reasons for the Canucks to be better next season.

All you got to do is look at the advance stats of Markstrom and the whole story is told. He had the highest amount of high percentage shots in the league last year.

Hutton was on the ice for a great portion of them. Who was second worse if you said Pouliot your right. What two players are not going to be on the team next season.

Who replaces those two players Benn, I wonder what he is good at. I will let you figure it out.

So there is a stat that I know Agents follow when it comes to Defenceman, I will look up the name and post it later. But it Follows first assists  and high percentage chances that could have been capitalize from the passer. Take a guess who scores well on it. If you said Myers you would be right little side note guess who scores poorly on it if you guessed Gardiner you would be right again.

If Gardiner scores poorly on it, my guess would be: "defensive zone giveaways".

38 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks gonna win like Trump?

Looks like Podkolzin is already working on the “Russian interference” part:

Two minutes for taking a guy out of the game - now that’s some old time hockey and “truculence” right there.  Somewhere right now Burke is having a good dream of this exact video and grinning and rubbing his hands together in his sleep.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Canucks gonna win like Trump?

Looks like Podkolzin is already working on the “Russian interference” part:

Benning is talking about rebuilding defense -> what he means is creation of a wall.

I see the Trump similarity........

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Christ I hope not. He got in because gullible people buy whatever crap Fox News tells them. His whole presidency is a dumpster fire. While he goes out and plays golf.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

He has a plan make the playoffs, not rebuild it’s been the same since he got here and he’s thankfully failed year after year  allowing  us stock up on some decent top ten picks. 

Trade picks for fringe nhlers or projects and keep his fingers crossed that some of the shyte his throws at the wall sticks. 

Winningba cup should have been the plan building a team of young players that has depth throughout the line up drafting well and often to build that depth. His drafting is so good yet it seems only the top round picks except OJ make the club that’s not so good. 

Filling the roster with over payed plug so and using the sedins as an excuse to not rebuild when his refool failed. Classless. 

The trend following fingers crossed fringe wildcard plan is why he will go down as one of the least successful gms in franchise history. 

• Haha 1

Jim's plan was always clear. Be competitive.  He made it very clear when he traded away picks that they wanted to fill the 22 to 25 age players threw trades. He was very clear about not wanting to do a tear down.

The problem is that the only thing he has been successful at is drafting. 

What if he had of focused on acquiring picks and using them. 

We would not be in a salary crunch and we might be farther ahead.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

you are mistaking the plan with the result 

And the rest of the plan is/was Aqua Man’s cheque book...?

Executive of the Year, Jim Benning.

But I love it.

My kind of hockey, just not my kind of accidental, silver linings kind of result.

Best Canucks hockey since the very early 2000s is on its way, for my tastes anyways. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

And the rest of the plan is/was Aqua Man’s cheque book...?

Executive of the Year, Jim Benning.

But I love it.

My kind of hockey, just not my kind of accidental, silver linings kind of result.

Best Canucks hockey since the very early 2000s is on its way, for my tastes anyways. 

I think thats true too.

No the plan was work something to give the Sedin's another run, and it failed spectacularly. But we got Petey and Hughes out of it, and maybe a lot more if Juolevi and Podkolzin work out. Boeser was a lucky coincidence too. 

• Upvote 2

No one said he didn't have a plan. You don't get hired as an NHL GM without a plan.  His plan was whatever the owner wanted, to try and make the playoffs every year. To ignore the warning signs, to hold onto vets when they actually had trade value. Be more concerned about squeaking into the post season than with keeping all your picks and prospects and doing it a more traditional tried and true rebuild, whether the reason was to give the twins one last shot or make Francesco some playoff cash or whatever.

It was a gamble that did not pay off with playoffs. In fact it failed so spectacularly that we ended up instead as one of, if not, the worst team on average through the last 4 seasons, and so received high end picks, a few of which that have luckily been winners. Its quite a stretch to imagine this was some kind of 5 dimensional chess he was playing.

I give him credit for cobbling together a more credible support group to surround our emerging star players than he's done in previous seasons.  But there is a different kind of problem which is not that visible today, with an over full stable of unspectacular forward vets, topping up our cap for the next few years just when we may have wanted to add a "final piece" type player. And even though we have a few good young prospects coming, we could have had a larger pool in the second wave ready to replace the Edlers, Sutters, Erikssons. He's kind of kicking the ball down the road.  But it is what it is, and if it works, I'll be stoked.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1