The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ristolainen Not Happy in Buffalo.

Rate this topic

https://www.nhl.com/news/rasumus-ristolainen-buffalo-sabres-contract-talks/c-308493256

Rasmus Ristolainen said he hasn't been able to enjoy hockey and that he has had talks with the Buffalo Sabres about his future with the team.

"Nothing had been decided," the defenseman told MTV Sport in Finland in an interview published Saturday that was translated by NHL.com. "All I can say is that come Sept. 12, I will attend an NHL team training camp. Don't know which team, though, at this point. We want to keep the discussions just between myself and the team."

The 24-year-old has three seasons remaining on a six-year, $32.4 million contract (average annual value of $5.4 million) he signed with Buffalo on Oct. 11, 2016.

The Sabres have been busy this offseason after missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the eighth consecutive season. Ralph Krueger was hired to replace Phil Housley as coach May 15, forward Jimmy Vesey (New York Rangers) and defensemen Colin Miller (Vegas Golden Knights) and Henri Jokiharju(Chicago Blackhawks) were acquired in trades, and forward Marcus Johansson signed a two-year contract as a free agent July 6.

But their future might not include Ristolainen, who was selected by Buffalo with the No. 8 pick in the 2013 NHL Draft. He had 43 points (five goals, 38 assists) and an NHL-worst minus-41 rating in 78 games last season, and has 194 points (36 goals, 158 assists) and a minus-143 rating in 424 regular-season games over six seasons, all with the Sabres.

"I haven't been able to help the team to win," Ristolainen said. "Last few seasons have been hard."

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Risto is collecting a closet full of Green Jackets though.  His stock sure has fallen.  Risto for Poolparty?  

I think he has been overplayed and exposed too much too soon.  I think he is a 2-3 not a #1 but they played him like a #1. 

He would do well in Winnipeg with to mentor a bit under Byfuglien.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Risto is collecting a closet full of Green Jackets though.  His stock sure has fallen.  Risto for Poolparty?  

That would be a huge win for the Coilers. They don't have the cap room for that move tho. Maybe Russel + JP + F prospect for Risto? 

There were rumours, in June, that Benning was sniffing around the Sabres defence, with Bogosian, and Ristolainen being mentioned.  Obviously a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but I wouldn't mind seeing a swap centered around Tanev.  I think we would have to add some major sweetners that we probably can't afford though.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

This has been public for a while.  He asked for a trade 2-3 months ago.  It was even discussed here on CDC.

Ah, my bad, must have missed it... just saw the article on nhl, didn't see it on here. But seeing how its August now, teams have a better idea of areas on their rosters in need of improvement. May be worth a discussion...

10 minutes ago, Dungass said:

There were rumours, in June, that Benning was sniffing around the Sabres defence, with Bogosian, and Ristolainen being mentioned.  Obviously a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, but I wouldn't mind seeing a swap centered around Tanev.  I think we would have to add some major sweetners that we probably can't afford though.

They don't need a right D going back being the problem. Left D maybe but we're not sending them Hughes (duh) or Edler/Benn who we JUST signed. Juolevi doesn't have the current trade value (and frankly, I'd also prefer to keep him).

They do need good defensive forwards, #2 and # 3 C's and RW's. Something around Sutter and Virtanen (+) might fit that bill but then we'd need to also move Tanev in a separate deal to make roster space.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

This has been public for a while.  He asked for a trade 2-3 months ago.  It was even discussed here on CDC.

I forget your take on him at that point.

What are your thoughts on Ristolainen?

Specifically, would he help the Canucks? Or would we simply be banging our heads against the wall?j

I like all those big numbers under his A column, not so much the big numbers under his +/- column.

17 minutes ago, Dungass said:

No I don't think any major sweetners, maybe Goldy and\or a pick. I would do that I think Risto would really help our D

Edler Hughs

Myers stetcher

Risto Benn

Saunter Biega

Thas 3 lines with scoring and defense

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

They don't need a right D going back being the problem. Left D maybe but we're not sending them Hughes (duh) or Edler/Benn who we JUST signed. Juolevi doesn't have the current trade value (and frankly, I'd also prefer to keep him).

They do need good defensive forwards, #2 and # 3 C's and RW's. Something around Sutter and Virtanen (+) might fit that bill but then we'd need to also move Tanev in a separate deal to make roster space.

How about Sautner L d-man, no to Virtanin but yes to Sutter

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Ah, my bad, must have missed it... just saw the article on nhl, didn't see it on here. But seeing how its August now, teams have a better idea of areas on their rosters in need of improvement. May be worth a discussion...

No biggie.  Slow time of year for hockey so stories will get rehashed.

21 minutes ago, nzan said:

I forget your take on him at that point.

What are your thoughts on Ristolainen?

Specifically, would he help the Canucks? Or would we simply be banging our heads against the wall?j

I like all those big numbers under his A column, not so much the big numbers under his +/- column.

I'm not a Risto fan.  Haven't been for 2-3 years now.

The Canucks already have a slightly lesser version of Risto in Myers.  It wouldn't be prudent to give up the assets to add another defensively deficient offensively minded player.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not a Risto fan.  Haven't been for 2-3 years now.

The Canucks already have a slightly lesser version of Risto in Myers.  It wouldn't be prudent to give up the assets to add another defensively deficient offensively minded player.

Do you think the Sabres would trade Risto for Puljiarvi, Ehlers or W. Nylander?  JP is cost effective, but those other two have nasty contracts.  

This $&!# is why the Canucks have put a premium on bringing or retaining  the " right type of people" or some "real good pros" even at the cost of forgone or spent value; there is a benefit in staying functional despite relative lack of immediate success.  People take the piss but you don't hear this stuff coming out of Vancouver . 

Edited by BlastPast