The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

I tend to agree with you....I think he knows that last year, Petey made him look like a superstar!

Who made him look like a superstar last year when he had more goals and points?

• Cheers 1

in a landscape where pettersson is destined for $9 mil minimum, brock is worth $7. give it to him. make your core players happy, make them fall in love with the organization so that they're more inclined to do whatever it takes to win. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Darius said:

Bure is the greatest canuck of all time IMHO.  He is was in a different tier than anyone in this teams history.  Sedins are close,  The fact that only Bure has outscored BB in first two years says a lot.  (well maybe its a sad fact for the org i suppose)

Good civil discussion, I enjoyed it  Time to get back to work.

Different era.

Bure played in a time where there were lots of clutching and grabbing and the red center line thingy.

BB is playing in an open wide rink.

Goes to show how amazing Bure was back then.

That said...hope BB signs soon (at a friendly cap hit :))

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Different era.

Bure played in a time where there were lots of clutching and grabbing and the red center line thingy.

it was also a time when players were putting up 160 point seasons against standup goalies wearing 3rd rate equipment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BPA said:

Different era.

I should have worded my post better.

Wasnt trying to equate BB with Bure at all.  

In my mind Bure is the greatest Canuck.

When it comes to comparing young players drafted by the Canucks, during the past 50 years,  goal scoring wise, how many players outside of Bure have outscored Brock in the first full two years.  I expect Petey to move into that category next year...but as of right now BB is one of the best young players ( in that age group) this franchise has ever had.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

it was also a time when players were putting up 160 point seasons against standup goalies wearing 3rd rate equipment. 

Equipment has changed over time for sure.  But I think the goalie styles changed as well.  Back then it was stand-up goalies and stacking the pads.  Nowadays its the butterfly stance.  But apparently it's leading to hip problems among goalies.

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

I should have worded my post better.

Wasnt trying to equate BB with Bure at all.  

In my mind Bure is the greatest Canuck.

When it comes to comparing young players drafted by the Canucks, during the past 50 years,  goal scoring wise, only Bure has outscored Brock in the first full two years.  I expect Petey to move into that category next year...but as of right now BB is one of the best young players ( in that age group) this franchise has ever had.

Well the cap is supposedly stagnant for this year and possibly next.  The year after should see at rise as the new TV deal comes in ... thereby raising the cap by a few more million dollars.  Preferably we can lock Boeser at a longer term deal.  Same with EP40. 

A bit hesitant that to offer $$ to a player that can't play for a full season.  Kinda like offering Tanev lots of money but knowing he'll only give you 60 games. :( 

I think that 6.5 to 7 is fair for what market is around the league brings and offer him a 4 year deal but no back-load deal for qualifying offer reason and if BB flopped or the league has caught him up and he could struggle with his game and qualifying offer could scare us off so I would prefer front-loaded offer then qualifying offer would be a lot better at a lower price and buy his UFA years after the final year of RFA service.   Also you never know what next CBA will bring so we would not want to get stuck with cap hit for next CBA. He is not a proven player in the playoff so I do not know how he would play if we ever make the playoffs in next few years.   We all know that he can score in regular season but how about the playoffs?   That should scare us too.  :)  

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Has he played enough to set that trend though? Year one was a freak accident that put him out most of those games.  

I dunno.  2 years is not a big sample size.  Not enough for me to justify handing out big $$.  Luckily I'm not a GM and just a fan.

I just want Vancouver to win the Stanley Cup!!

I think its interesting to look at the best first full two years from siimlar aged players in team history.

Yeah different eras different league scoring rates...but Brock is right up there with the rest.

In no particular order

Toni Tanti: 1983-1985 - 84 goals in 147 games

Patrik Sundstrom 1982-1984 61 goals in 152 games

Pavel Bure 1991-1993- 94 goals in 148 games

Trevor Linden 1988-1990 - 51 goals in 153 games

Brock Boeser  55 goals in 131 games

Who else am i missing ...first full two years from any players in the same age bracket...

Edited by Darius

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I haven't seen much more than scoring from him.  He's a decent playmaker, avg to below avg defensively, his skating is sub par, he hadn't been able to stay healthy and he hasnt hit 30 goals........how is that worth $7m?

The other argument is that if you give BB $7m, then Petey is going to be looking at $10-11m after his ELC, Hughes in the $7-9m range and there goes the window to win.  For me, looking at Cup winners, it isn't these young guns that take their teams to Cups, it's veterans and if you break the bank on young guys, you're done.

ok yes cups are won with vets but they are also won by drafted players that were young that got paid as well   kings doughety kopitar    wash ovie Backstrom  blues taresenko  paryanko  pens Crosby malkin  , you have to pay to keep the core together  there is no way around it   

• Upvote 2

Just now, the grinder said:

ok yes cups are won with vets but they are also won by drafted players that were young that got paid as well   kings doughety kopitar    wash ovie Backstrom  blues taresenko  paryanko  pens Crosby malkin  , you have to pay to keep the core together  there is no way around it   

And Toews Kane.  But the team can’t make the mistake of paying the wrong young guys big money, or paying the right guys too much money and term.  Then you end up the Oilers and the now Leafs.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And Toews Kane.  But the team can’t make the mistake of paying the wrong young guys big money, or paying the right guys too much money and term.  Then you end up the Oilers and the now Leafs.  

leafs blew it when they signed jt   , they really didn't think about that one lol    ypu cant have 3 guys making 10 a season    over half your cap gone in 4 players  that's just stupid lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, the grinder said:

You listed duos.

If it's between Petey + Brock or Petey + Bo ... I'd rather keep Petey + Bo.

33 minutes ago, BPA said:

You listed duos.

If it's between Petey + Brock or Petey + Bo ... I'd rather keep Petey + Bo.

lol  ok iill list trios then if you cant figure it out    pitts malkin Crosby letang     kopitar brown doughty   ove Backstrom Wilson     toews kane and keith and seabrook     

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

We're keeping all three though! Cups galore!

I’m super excited about the Canuck’s next decade.  We’ve never had these key core pieces (and all young) in place before.  Plus, we’ve never had a big group of young prospects coming up over the next few years.  Like you say, we can keep our young core (Bo, Petey, Bess, Hughes) together, while having prospects like Podkolzin, Woo, OJ, Madden, etc filling the support roles as the current support guys age out or cost too much.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Who made him look like a superstar last year when he had more goals and points?

I wasn't implying that BB isn't a very good player...but is he currently superstar caliber? He may turn out to be, but at the moment I don't think so. Goals alone don't make you a superstar. You need that break-out quality in your game, something he doesn't have at the moment.

Sure, he's got a fantastic shot, but again he's not yet at the same level of Bo or Petey, he's still only a 1 1/2 -dimensional player. 

• Upvote 1