The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm hoping JB digs in at $6m, which is still half a mil more than I think he should get on a short deal.  BB has zero leverage beyond holding out and not playing hockey 

Unless we are buying as many UFA years as we can 7-7.5 makes zero sense - even in today’s market.   WNP fans will argue Connor deserves more, he’s better away from the puck, plays all the games and scores close to the same rate - but plays all the games so it matters more...wonder how our  fans would feel if he got a 7 x 4 before Boeser is signed and how that would affect their deal?  Same thing with Meir, he’s 22 but didn’t show as much early - but again is very useful away from the puck and fanstasy wise some experts feel he’s going to outproduce Boeser 70-75 this year ...  

I like Boeser and think one day he could score 40-50 goals in this league playing with EP.   Also feel his injuries were more of a fluke then a pattern - he’s in great shape and should prove durable.  Feel a bridge might be best for both camps,  3-4 years but anything over six is too much.   If not would rather go hard and long 7-7.5 x 8.. we won’t be competing for a cup any time soon and in three years when our real window opens his cap hit will look and be great when the extra money will be much more important then now.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, the grinder said:

oh now there is plenty of guys that score26- 30 ish goals  a year ,  well where are they ?we have been waiting for years for them    jimmy Vesey who has never scored more than 20 a season got 7yr at 7mill a season  in philly  ,   so blame the other stupid gms  for setting the price  

My point is there are plenty of skill guys in every draft...just different levels of skill. Brock hasn't shown he is a superstar like Marner or others. 

Thats why it's important for Jim to stick to his guns and not let Brock get more then he has shown for , I also want him on a bridge deal too cause if our D is still  questionable we can trade him for one. 

Dont get me wrong I like Brock but the numbers have to work and also not to be a prick but Brock is a secondary core piece his something you can replace look at Pitts, they have replaced there skill guys all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why can’t they just agree on a stupid number. Players are so greedy these days, not just Brock, but it’s a trend around the league. They just play a game, guess what, even half a million is too much to pay for athletes yet they are all sitting out (collectively as a negotiating strategy) to argue whether they should be paid 7.2 or 6.8 million when people who actually matters to society and mankind earn 1000 times less. What a joke this celebrity culture has become in our world 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Why can’t they just agree on a stupid number. Players are so greedy these days, not just Brock, but it’s a trend around the league. They just play a game, guess what, even half a million is too much to pay for athletes yet they are all sitting out (collectively as a negotiating strategy) to argue whether they should be paid 7.2 or 6.8 million when people who actually matters to society and mankind earn 1000 times less. What a joke this celebrity culture has become in our world 

Because these guys are the top 700 hockey players in the world?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

So?

So they get paid like they are the 700 best in their profession.

Don't like that they get paid that much? Then don't watch or buy merchandise and if hundreds of thousands of other people do the same, the hockey wages will go down.

Edited by gurn
bi,by, bye, buy
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, the grinder said:

yes they are basically the same, even the guy who wrote article put jimmy Vesey instead of hayes   dam bloggers

Except one is an RFA who signed for $2.275 (RFA's have almost no leverage) and one is a UFA (all the leverage).  That's the point of this entire discussion.

36 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

So they get paid like they are the 700 best in their profession.

Don't like that they get paid that much? Then don't watch or by merchandise and if hundreds of thousands of other people do the same, the hockey wages will go down.

Should have added:

The owners are the truly "greedy" people in this scenario as they are the folk that set ticket prices and agree on broadcasting fees of which the players then get a 50% share.

So the owners could charge less for both those items, then the  players wages would go down.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Except one is an RFA who signed for $2.275 (RFA's have almost no leverage) and one is a UFA (all the leverage).  That's the point of this entire discussion.

Psst...Stop being so logical.

:)

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Should have added:

The owners are the truly "greedy" people in this scenario as they are the folk that set ticket prices and agree on broadcasting fees of which the players then get a 50% share.

So the owners could charge less for both those items, then the  players wages would go down.

Yea sure. But why do RFAs even care about that 300k difference honestly. Most of them probably don’t have any money in the bank as RFAs yet they are jeopardizing long term career development over spare change in comparison to what they will earn over the course of their entire career. What’s the point? Do they want another Nylander situation? Sure, if you manage to earn two to three million extra over the long run by negotiating tactics, good for you. But don’t expect to be afforded any leeway when the season is not going well. People tore Nylander to shreds. First, for how he sat out the season which could’ve costed the Leafs a cup run; and second on how overpaid he is. I just don’t think salary overrides everything else in your career, your reputation, the pressure to perform, the criticisms for not producing. 

I am not blaming Brock entirely, but let’s just find common ground and get it done. I am convinced Brock is not greedy by nature, but it might be his agent who is bargaining over pennies and cents for his own commission. 

6 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Yea sure. But why do RFAs even care about that 300k difference honestly. Most of them probably don’t have any money in the bank as RFAs yet they are jeopardizing long term career development over spare change in comparison to what they will earn over the course of their entire career. What’s the point? Do they want another Nylander situation? Sure, if you manage to earn two to three million extra over the long run by negotiating tactics, good for you. But don’t expect to be afforded any leeway when the season is not going well. People tore Nylander to shreds. First, for how he sat out the season which could’ve costed the Leafs a cup run; and second on how overpaid he is. I just don’t think salary overrides everything else in your career, your reputation, the pressure to perform, the criticisms for not producing. 

I am not blaming Brock entirely, but let’s just find common ground and get it done. I am convinced Brock is not greedy by nature, but it might be his agent who is bargaining over pennies and cents for his own commission. 

This would all sound a bit hypocritical, however I know you went to your boss last week and said"I want you to pay me between 10-35% less money from now on."Right?

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

This would all sound a bit hypocritical, however I know you went to your boss last week and said"I want you to pay me between 10-35% less money from now on."Right?

That's being ridiculous.   Brock is looking for a pay raise.  Not a reduction in wages.

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

That's being ridiculous.   Brock is looking for a pay raise.  Not a reduction in wages.

Yep, but I didn't start the "ridiculous" part.

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

Why can’t they just agree on a stupid number. Players are so greedy these days, not just Brock, but it’s a trend around the league. They just play a game, guess what, even half a million is too much to pay for athletes 

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

My point is there are plenty of skill guys in every draft...just different levels of skill. Brock hasn't shown he is a superstar like Marner or others. 

Thats why it's important for Jim to stick to his guns and not let Brock get more then he has shown for , I also want him on a bridge deal too cause if our D is still  questionable we can trade him for one. 

Dont get me wrong I like Brock but the numbers have to work and also not to be a prick but Brock is a secondary core piece his something you can replace look at Pitts, they have replaced there skill guys all the time. 

did I say brock is like marner? no   did I say brock should get 8 to 11 million ?  no   brock has an elite skill  , it called one timing the puck  and shooting it hard  , the shot is ovie  like , the canucks have never had a winger that can blast a puck like that on a regular basis ,   oh ya so easy to replace lol   well where are they ? been waiting since bure for a guy that can blast a puck with a one timer  ,      you say you like brock and next sentence you want to trade him  ,  pitts gets skilled guys all the time sure stick them with  Crosby and malkin  and you would score too .  before you go well petey is elite  remember brock scored more with bo   , max I would pay brock is 7x7   4 x6 to 6.5    

1 hour ago, stawns said:

and one got 7 x7 million   an agent is going to look at numbers like that to set a price  regardless on an rfa or ufa  they are going to get as much as they can for a client  . 

6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

did I say brock is like marner? no   did I say brock should get 8 to 11 million ?  no   brock has an elite skill  , it called one timing the puck  and shooting it hard  , the shot is ovie  like , the canucks have never had a winger that can blast a puck like that on a regular basis ,   oh ya so easy to replace lol   well where are they ? been waiting since bure for a guy that can blast a puck with a one timer  ,      you say you like brock and next sentence you want to trade him  ,  pitts gets skilled guys all the time sure stick them with  Crosby and malkin  and you would score too .  before you go well petey is elite  remember brock scored more with bo   , max I would pay brock is 7x7   4 x6 to 6.5    

Elite is a lil stretch cause stamkos also has a better one timer, until his hanging with ovie and  stammer , he hasn't reached elite just yet but could . Also like I said Brock reminds me of Kessel elite shot but average in other areas of the game. 

They are replaceable look around the league. Your looking at it from a Canuck stand point ( which the Canucks have sucked at drafting for years and now thx to Jim has changed that )  Brock is the closest thing to a superstar the Canucks have drafted before petey in a very long time. It's homer blinders if you think you can't replace Brock.....Podz could very well replace him in the future. With good drafting something we've lacked , players  are replaceable look at Pitts and the Hawks. Two teams that did it differently.  Pitts replaced skilled wingers and the Hawks replaced fiscal forwards like Ladd with Saad. 

I like a player but also would trade him it's business nothing personal. 

Might add Bo produced with who ever they put him with like malkin. 

I agree with six mill over four years kinda a show me contract. 

47 minutes ago, the grinder said:

and one got 7 x7 million   an agent is going to look at numbers like that to set a price  regardless on an rfa or ufa  they are going to get as much as they can for a client  . 

Ok. .but again BB camp wants 4y x 7M.

Don't you think JB wants to lock BB up for 7 x 7M???  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

I agree 100%.

The more the league Americanizes the game, the more the NHLers become like athletes from other leagues.  They are trending the way of independent contractors.  Its a term Doug Armstrong used a few years back to explain what was  happening around the league.  Instead of playing for a fair wage and playing to win with your brothers on the team, and for the city, players are looking to cash out in the biggest way possible.  You are now seeing parents get involved in contract talks and all this garbage is spewed over social media IE Marners parents

its blatantly obvious that if hes actually looking for 7 million, than Boesers ego and greediness is getting i the way.  

I said it before, Podkolzin, in 2 years, gives us everything Boeser does and more.  If Benning needs to deal Boeser, im for it.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

I agree 100%.

The more the league Americanizes the game, the more the NHLers become like athletes from other leagues.  They are trending the way of independent contractors.  Its a term Doug Armstrong used a few years back to explain what was  happening around the league.  Instead of playing for a fair wage and playing to win with your brothers on the team, and for the city, players are looking to cash out in the biggest way possible.  You are now seeing parents get involved in contract talks and all this garbage is spewed over social media IE Marners parents

its blatantly obvious that if hes actually looking for 7 million, than Boesers ego and greediness is getting i the way.  

I said it before, Podkolzin, in 2 years, gives us everything Boeser does and more.  If Benning needs to deal Boeser, im for it.  

That's nothing new, nor is it limited to Americans.  Lindros, one of the greatest Canadians of all time, refused to play for the Canadian team that drafted him, a move engineered by his father, who played a big part in his career choices.  How about Hodgson, in our own back yard?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2