The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning trying to get to "common ground" with Boeser

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Brock stuff  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Never said u were. Would you have said the same of Bo 2 years ago. I think we need time to make that evaluation, that’s all.

Yes, I thought the same thing about Bo 2 years ago, but Bo proved his ability when we had little talent and the sun was setting on the Sedinery.  Bo has proven himself, not just as a scorer, but a consistent play maker. Needless to say, we should hold BB to the same standard. BB has shown he can put the puck in the net, but is he a play maker that can change the tempo/course of a game all by himself? Haven't really seen it yet. Don't know if its because he's psychologically hampered by the back injury he suffered, but lets hope not.

Was the success he experienced last year due more to the Petey factor than his ability to take his game to the next level? I don't know, but I agree we need time to make that evaluation. Suffice to say, I'd hold off on the "superstar" label for another year at least.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd have no issue paying Petey that kind of dough, at all.  Hughes will likely be in that tier as well.  Those guys are all play drivers and impact players in all areas of the ice.  Boeser is not that player, he's a pure goal scorer, but is a guy who needs one of those players in order  to produce at an upper tier level.  You pay Petey and Hughes that money, not Boeser.

Boeser showed us he didn't need Pettersson when he almost won the Calder the season before. No one is buying what you are selling. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'm sure he's still focused on spending time and helping his dad recover. I'm still not worried about the contract.

He's been playing in Da Beauty League and wake surfing. I'm sure he's spending some time with his dad, but that's not keeping him from getting a deal done.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not selling anything, just having a discussion.

Ok... your argument still doesn't make any sense.. Explain 17-18 when Boeser put up 55 points in 62 games, the highest ppg he's had in a season was without Pettersson. I guess you are just going to credit the twins for his success? I suppose I just find it funny that I don't remember you expressing these incredible insights a few months ago when there were no rumoured contract demands. 

Edited by Toews

I think it might be understated here at how hard it is to score 30 goals in the NHL. Boeser's play making is very underrated, he creates a lot of space to score his goals. He's got moves and at times in his rookie year he was breaking ankles. I'd love for him to improve his defensive game this season, and I could see the Canucks challenging him to be better in his own end. I think he's on par or slightly below Pastrnak( who is I think super talented but also is also the beneficiary of good line mates). I'd offer him 6.5 or 6.7 tops. Boeser can score, last season was his sophomore slump, I think he could get 35- 40 goals if he is healthy. 

37 minutes ago, Toews said:

Ok... your argument still doesn't make any sense.. Explain 17-18 when Boeser put up 55 points in 62 games, the highest ppg he's had in a season was without Pettersson. I guess you are just going to credit the twins for his success? I suppose I just find it funny that I don't remember you expressing these incredible insights a few months ago when there were no rumoured contract demands. 

Explain what?  That he's a great offensive player?  Who said he wasn't?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I'd have no issue paying Petey that kind of dough, at all.  Hughes will likely be in that tier as well.  Those guys are all play drivers and impact players in all areas of the ice.  Boeser is not that player, he's a pure goal scorer, but is a guy who needs one of those players in order  to produce at an upper tier level.  You pay Petey and Hughes that money, not Boeser.

whats the going rate for a guy that's scores 30 35 goals   ,   also   brock played with bo and scored 28   in his rookie season  so brock  has shown he can score with other centers, we need goal scorers don't we  , god lord we paying loui 6 a year  and you  are worried about 7 mil  lol

7 minutes ago, the grinder said:

whats the going rate for a guy that's scores 30 35 goals   ,   also   brock played with bo and scored 28   in his rookie season  so brock  has shown he can score with other centers, we need goal scorers don't we  , god lord we paying loui 6 a year  and you  are worried about 7 mil  lol

$7m a year as an RFA with no bargaining leverage.  So what's Petey going to expect if BB is getting $7?  My guess is around $10-$11m.......then QH?  Then if Boes is making $7m now, what's he start at in his next contract?  

There goes the window.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Boeser isn't close to ovie and Backstrom level, that's the point.  Ovie is a generational player and Backstrom is/was one of the best two way C's in the league from early in his career.  Petey is the comparable to them, not Boeser.

no petey  hughes  bo and boesser  that isn't a core you build around?    an alien  off dmen  2 way center and a sniper    god lord we pay lloui 6 million a season   brock is worth 6 -7 mill lol

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

$7m a year as an RFA with no bargaining leverage.  So what's Petey going to expect if BB is getting $7?  My guess is around $10-$11m.......then QH?  Then if Boes is making $7m now, what's he start at in his next contract?  

There goes the window.

good bye loui goodbye sutter

• Upvote 2

Just now, the grinder said:

no petey  hughes  bo and boesser  that isn't a core you build around?    an alien  off dmen  2 way center and a sniper    god lord we pay lloui 6 million a season   brock is worth 6 -7 mill lol

Who said Brock wasn't a core player?  There's a group of core players on every team and within that core are the 1-2 players you build around.  Ovie and Backstrom are franchise players, that's Petey, it's not Boeser 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

loungo cap hit will be gone  cap will go up   podi on elc  .lower cost players coming in high priced vets going out    we will be fine   if benning keeps drafting well  there  will a supply of youth always coming in

Sorry, shelling out UFA money to RFA players hasn't worked out for many teams, if any.