The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Well, you seem to genuinely believe so you must have a good, demonstrable reason to, no?

I have good reasons but hardly ones that are demonstrable, unfortunately.

You're making the implication that my belief rests on faith; and you're correct in that it does.

But what you're not realizing is that the denial that Unit dude was making is also founded in faith.

My reasons for believing in it are grounded in mystical and otherwise profound experiences I've had in my life. They are personal and entirely in reference to things I have felt, seen and gone through that have affected me greatly. I understand that the rebuttal to this is that the mind makes mistakes, hallucinates things, etc- and that is a rebuttal that I cannot argue against because it is unfalsifiable.

Essentially- there are limits to what can be conveyed in language, and my belief in the esoteric is firmly within the ineffable/incommunicable.

It's easy to fall back on the hard/strict empiricist doctrine- and that's a doctrine that is quite impossible to argue against- but that doesn't mean it's correct.

12 minutes ago, 112 said:

I have good reasons but hardly ones that are demonstrable, unfortunately.

You're making the implication that my belief rests on faith; and you're correct in that it does.

But what you're not realizing is that the denial that Unit dude was making is also founded in faith.

My reasons for believing in it are grounded in mystical and otherwise profound experiences I've had in my life. They are personal and entirely in reference to things I have felt, seen and gone through that have affected me greatly. I understand that the rebuttal to this is that the mind makes mistakes, hallucinates things, etc- and that is a rebuttal that I cannot argue against because it is unfalsifiable.

Essentially- there are limits to what can be conveyed in language, and my belief in the esoteric is firmly within the ineffable/incommunicable.

It's easy to fall back on the hard/strict empiricist doctrine- and that's a doctrine that is quite impossible to argue against- but that doesn't mean it's correct.

I think Unit was taking the piss out of the idea that Harry Potter books contain real magic (unless you're one of those types who count the ability to completely lose themselves in a novel as a form of magic). 

Either way, it tickles me to see a demand for proof that something doesn't exist.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think Unit was taking the piss out of the idea that Harry Potter books contain real magic (unless you're one of those types who count the ability to completely lose themselves in a novel as a form of magic). 

Either way, it tickles me to see a demand for proof that something doesn't exist.

ehh, my issue is that he seemed to be accepting as axiomatic that magick doesn't exist- i.e starting from a conclusion.

If he doesn't believe in it, that's fine, and the position /is/ defensible.

But if he's going to go "OMGLOL" at the thought of it, he should be able to explain himself.

Just now, 112 said:

ehh, my issue is that he seemed to be accepting as axiomatic that magick doesn't exist- i.e starting from a conclusion.

If he doesn't believe in it, that's fine, and the position /is/ defensible.

But if he's going to go "OMGLOL" at the thought of it, he should be able to explain himself.

I don't think disbelief in magic's existence is an unreasonable stance for people to take. 

Just now, 112 said:

I agree.

But if he can't say WHY he doesn't believe in it, he shouldn't come in here and $&!#post about it.

I don't believe in a parallel universe where care bears are the dominant species on earth, would you need me to explain why I don't believe that?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, inane said:

the point of that poster.

Oh, as in banning Harry Potter’s canned spells. Gotcha.

It could be worse, they could be banning women from showing their skin or hair. 

My take on this would likely align with whatever articulate masterpiece that Hitchens would have said about it. 

Truth be told, when people around me say Grace, I usually utter things about my thankfulness for Tinker bell, Harry Potter, Thor and other false-Billy Idols, which really pisses of my catlicker wife in the middle of her thing! 

I am anti-theist, more than I am an atheist, which should say enough about what opinions I may hold about spells being banned by anyone, let alone a private institution/school. 

It cracks me up in a tragic way how those westerners here who seem the most most outraged about religion being so ridiculous, as this case exemplifies, but have no problem ushering under their skirts the imported region of peace, Islam, with all of its persecution and brutality.

Picking between two evils, I’ll take the Catholics and their invention of Hell over Sharia Law and what is currently the enrichment of Europe’s ‘culture’. I will also take the banning of spells over being segregated out of esteem by some frumpy SJW educator in the Kamloops area; outright racism, as the definition of racism will verify. 

Lol do I give a flying &^@# about this story? 

No.

Not even a little. Do you? I don’t care to know. Nothing personal, of course, sir. 

I just like the juxtaposition of things in these threads. This is bad. That’s not bad. That kind of stuff. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Almost rather have my kid go to a school that bans fantasy for some insane reason than have them in what passes as a public school room these days. 

Pick your indoc-poison. 

I’d rather my kid be not able to have access to Harry Potter than be surrounded by posters like this one which was on the halls of our local elementary schools.

Not all fantasy unfortunately.

honestly, harry potter is trash

it should be banned from all schools not because it's satanic but because it's just garbage children's 'literature' that makes them dumber when they read it

there are way better things a child could be reading that would enrich her mind and contribute to her better learning.

• Wat 1

I listen to the smart folk saying that string theory has 11 dimensions and all the amazing possibilities that could mean. I think everything is vibrating energy...everything. 

I read the 12th Planet and Chariots of the Gods in high school and begun my dreams about the interpretations of the Sumerian texts. I love that Ancient Aliens show and the mysteries about our human development/ history. 

I punished myself trying to follow along with Liber Null and Psychonaut. I even got a tattoo inspired by the art for the chapter on Shamanism. 

I'm on the record stating that I believe that we likely live in a simulation.

So, do I think magic, religion, muliti-verses, etc.. are real?

As real as our interpretation of things we do not understand. One day, what we call 'science' will explain it all. Well, it could but I don't think us meat sacks are gonna keep our planet going long enough.

I must admit I  find it a bit funny how much some of you 'know a lot about these subjects. Being authorities on ideas that can't produce any evidence must be a tough go. 

1 minute ago, 112 said:

honestly, harry potter is trash

it should be banned from all schools not because it's satanic but because it's just garbage children's 'literature' that makes them dumber when they read it

there are way better things a child could be reading that would enrich her mind and contribute to her better learning.

Children reading fantasy novels of debatable literary merit? The horror! Ban them and burn them!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hi Toews.

Happy about the Canucks roster as I am? 

Good times ahead. 

Waiting to see how we fit Brock in and what contract he gets. Its the most important thing Benning will have done this offseason. Its important that they find a number that will keep Brock happy without jeopardizing what is currently being built. 

Getting back on topic I wouldn't have minded going to school that banned all fantasy, i hated reading Handmaid's Tale in highschool. Sadly though its not about banning all fantasy, its about banning all fantasy that conflicts with one's own fantasy, ie. authoritarianism at its finest. God forbid tomorrow a cult arise which believes J.K Rowling is a prophet and Harry Potter is the one who will bring deliverance upon us all.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I listen to the smart folk saying that string theory has 11 dimensions and all the amazing possibilities that could mean. I think everything is vibrating energy...everything. 

I read the 12th Planet and Chariots of the Gods in high school and begun my dreams about the interpretations of the Sumerian texts. I love that Ancient Aliens show and the mysteries about our human development/ history. 

I punished myself trying to follow along with Liber Null and Psychonaut. I even got a tattoo inspired by the art for the chapter on Shamanism. 

I'm on the record stating that I believe that we likely live in a simulation.

So, do I think magic, religion, muliti-verses, etc.. are real?

As real as our interpretation of things we do not understand. One day, what we call 'science' will explain it all. Well, it could but I don't think us meat sacks are gonna keep our planet going long enough.

I must admit I  find it a bit funny how much some of you 'know a lot about these subjects. Being authorities on ideas that can't produce any evidence must be a tough go. 

I don't consider myself an authority on anything, fwiw :P

but yeah- it's difficult holding conversations on these topics, especially on CDC, because people are so stuck in their views and unwilling to actually do much thought. they don't even read what you say lmao.

mind you- I don't mind people who don't believe in magick, etc.. I am on record as saying that the rejection of it is entirely reasonable.

what I don't like is people who can't explain themselves. a lot of people in this thread are nothing more than the laugh track; they believe what they do because it's 'common sense' but are unable to go into any more depth than this.

y'all in here need to read more philosophy.