The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

sOmEtHiNg sOmEtHiNg SoMeThInG rIgHt WiNgErS aRe StOoPiD!1

Way to keep things nice and partisan, OP. Can't have people of different political ideologies getting along too well.

I am confused by your post.

What did the OP say that was about right wingers being stupid?

Honest, I thought there was sky fairy believers were all over the political spectrum?

2 hours ago, Pears said:

When Harry Potter books are banned before guns

01EB3F69-397B-4A75-8168-57D6C7191561.gif

I love my guns.  They've never killed anyone.  Ironic that you hint at book banning (burning books actually, which actually happened to erase factual history from the tyrannical government) is directly succeeded by banning the people's right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government.  You know, our 2nd Amendment protects our 1st.  But you need to accept responsibility and have courage to actually defend it before you can acknowledge that.  Cowards everywhere!! 

Muh gubment will protect me!  

Do yourself a favor and look up.something called Democide.  

It boggles my mind how something that has nothing to do with "Murica" and everything to do with religion is conflated.  

Yup. Guns will never be banned here bc is yanks understand that an disarmed population are mere slaves.  Molon Labe.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I am confused by your post.

What did the OP say that was about right wingers being stupid?

Honest, I thought there was sky fairy believers were all over the political spectrum?

Literally the OP's first two comments in the thread. And even if the OP hadn't plainly said it, the subtext and intent of this post is plainly obvious. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its really something to see. But its also scary to see it become so aligned with right wing politics over the last decade. 

I feel bad for the kids at this place, years of therapy await. 

Meh

kids I knew growing up in catholic schools would just laugh this off too.  Never really saw much difference between “us and them” expect on the rugby pitch.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Literally the OP's first two comments in the thread. And even if the OP hadn't plainly said it, the subtext and intent of this post is plainly obvious. 

I think when one unironicly writes an email which contains the words “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”, they deserve all the ridicule....or as they would say in Harry Potter, "Riddikulus!"

Edited by HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Love the impossibly prophetic Sagan quote. I have his "Pale Blue Dot" 5 para gem pinned up on my wall. Why can't we listen to the warnings of such visionaries?

edit: ^Tried to quote his quote..& I'm obviously lost for words :^)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think when one unironicly writes an email which contains the words “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”, they deserve all the ridicule....or as they would say in Harry Potter, "Riddikulus!"

And I would agree. The point I'm making, which was confirmed by the OP in later posts, is that this stupid decision made by a private institution is being used is a club to try and beat down those of us that have a more conservative (or libertarian) beliefs. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Pears said:

When Harry Potter books are banned before guns

01EB3F69-397B-4A75-8168-57D6C7191561.gif

Nah....how about this.  Priests that prey on children get "re-assigned to other areas to continue being child molesters".  But words on a page!  Evil!  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Love the impossibly prophetic Sagan quote. I have his "Pale Blue Dot" 5 para gem pinned up on my wall. Why can't we listen to the warnings of such visionaries?

I would print off that quote and frame it as well, but I have to go beat a big boss on my video game, so maybe later?

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

edit: ^Tried to quote his quote..& I'm obviously lost for words :^)

and another

"Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works".
Edited by xereau
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

I love my guns.  They've never killed anyone.  Ironic that you hint at book banning (burning books actually, which actually happened to erase factual history from the tyrannical government) is directly succeeded by banning the people's right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government.  You know, our 2nd Amendment protects our 1st.  But you need to accept responsibility and have courage to actually defend it before you can acknowledge that.  Cowards everywhere!! 

Muh gubment will protect me!  

Do yourself a favor and look up.something called Democide.  

It boggles my mind how something that has nothing to do with "Murica" and everything to do with religion is conflated.  

Yup. Guns will never be banned here bc is yanks understand that an disarmed population are mere slaves.  Molon Labe.  

I think the conflation is absolutely intentional. It's a way scrutinize the idea of private education under the guise of attacking the silly religious cooks. The subtext is meant to imply that without the education system falling under the umbrella of the federal government, this type of religious nuttery would be far more rampant. Either it doesn't occur to them or they don't want to acknowledge that religious Schools and private schools are so synonymous with each other because there's a market for them that the federal government simply can't touch. My bet is that if the federal government didn't have didn't hold a monopoly over the education system and everything were privatized, we'd see roughly the same number of religious schools overall.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This one is just too good to pass up. Can you really call this place a school if they are this obtuse? 

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

WENN - WORLD ENTERTAINMENT NEWS NETWORK
Updated: September 3, 2019
41708879-harry_potter_and_the_half-blood

The Harry Potter books at a private Catholic school in Nashville, Tennessee have been removed from library shelves on the advice of exorcists.

St. Edward Catholic school’s pastor Rev. Dan Reehil claims author J.K. Rowling’s books contain “actual curses and spells”, and therefore they’re not suitable for kids.

In an email to parents, obtained by The Tennessean, Reehil explains he consulted with exorcists, who recommended he remove the books.

He wrote: “The curses and spells used in the books are actual curses and spells; which when read by a human being risk conjuring evil spirits into the presence of the person reading the text.”

The school pastor reportedly sent the email after a parent asked why her daughter couldn’t find a Harry Potter book in the library.

https://vancouversun.com/news/world/catholic-school-bans-harry-potter-books-because-they-contain-actual-curses-and-spells/wcm/325a864b-3350-49e4-9b31-5c1a7c91b1fc

Well I think Harry Potter and the rest of us should ban the Catholic Church for being child molesters and scumbags, seems fair to me:angry:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Wizard service:

give someone the flu           $250

give someone a perpetual rain cloud      $1500

Turn someone into a frog   $5,000 plus materials/shop supplies

The Catholic church give a child a STD.........Free

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think the conflation is absolutely intentional. It's a way scrutinize the idea of private education under the guise of attacking the silly religious cooks. The subtext is meant to imply that without the education system falling under the umbrella of the federal government, this type of religious nuttery would be far more rampant. Either it doesn't occur to them or they don't want to acknowledge that religious Schools and private schools are so synonymous with each other because there's a market for them that the federal government simply can't touch. My bet is that if the federal government didn't have didn't hold a monopoly over the education system and everything were privatized, we'd see roughly the same number of religious schools overall.

Yeah, most private schools are religious based.  I'm not a fan of the government being involved in education as much I'm not a fan of religion getting involved either.  

The public education system is mere indoctrination guised as education.  Same goes for religious based learning institutions.  They're both based on fear.  Do whal you're told or else. (go to prison, go to hell).  

I'm all for holistic intelligence curriculum as opposed to outcome based learning, which comes directly from the Frankfurt School, a Marxist ideology that uses the "long march through the institutions" plan by Antonio Gramsci to implement communism through societal influence rather than by brute force, which is why the Bolshevik Revolution ultimately failed...  But I digress....  

Either way you look at it, public/religious education is dangerous. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

have they banned cellphones, laptops, computers?

anything that connects to the internet?

cuz once you can get online you can get info about anything

we can't trust catholics to make smart choices i guess?

my biggest catholic memory is jfk doing marilyn monroe

that always seemed fishy to me given his overt catholic branding

:P

1 minute ago, Bocivus said:

Yeah, most private schools are religious based.  I'm not a fan of the government being involved in education as much I'm not a fan of religion getting involved either.  

The public education system is mere indoctrination guised as education.  Same goes for religious based learning institutions.  They're both based on fear.  Do whal you're told or else. (go to prison, go to hell).  

I'm all for holistic intelligence curriculum as opposed to outcome based learning, which comes directly from the Frankfurt School, a Marxist ideology that uses the "long march through the institutions" plan by Antonio Gramsci to implement communism through societal influence rather than by brute force, which is why the Bolshevik Revolution ultimately failed...  But I digress....  

This might just be my indoctrinated education at work but I'm fairly certain the Bolshevik Revolution succeeded. 

• Wat 1

18 minutes ago, Bocivus said:

Damn, you've done your homework.

• Thanks 1