The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Who stays and who goes?

4 hours ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

On 650 AM they were talking about 5 Canucks that are apparently on the market.  

Ericksson

Schaller

Baertchi

Goldobin

Virtanen

Baertchi is the only one that surprises me.

Ericksson and Schaller are untradeable.

Also the timing of trading Virtanen, Goldy or Baertchi is not good as other teams are trimming their rosters.

I think the most likely is Goldy being traded for another teams prospect that also requires waivers to be sent down.  I’m not sure who the candidates may be?

Goldy is not making the roster based on his preseason so you lose him on waivers or try a trade.

There is no need to trade Virtanen or Baertchi as they provide scoring depth.  Neither of them have reached their full potential yet.

I would send down Schaller for sure.

Unfortunately Gaudette is probably going down because of Ericksson.

Thoughts?

Well if that's the case it means they may have players other than possibly Gaudette they want to keep on the roster.  With Roussel on LTIR, Gaudette waiver exempt and likely they carry 13 forwards and 8 D it gets interesting.

Maybe they want to keep Graovac or ? up.  If that's the case I see Goldobin, Schaller and one of LE or Motte waived to be re-assigned.  I imagine it's the 3 latter as Goldobin may still have some value if only for another project that fit's the Canucks better, part of a package or a late pick. We will know shortly.

image.thumb.png.ead6afbf28bc158221d6c744615843d4.png

Edited by Borvat

44 minutes ago, the grinder said:

tanev  

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Tanev goes no where, and likely gets an extension.  Isn’t he the perfect partner for Quinn?  We trade Chis and we might spend years trying to replace him.  

tanev might fetch a  nice piece at the deadline  and we cant afford tanev next year ,  so we need to get something  out of him

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Well if that's the case it means they may have players other than possibly Gaudette they want to keep on the roster.  With Roussel on LTIR, Gaudette waiver exempt and likely they carry 13 forwards and 8 D it gets interesting.

Maybe they want to keep Graovac or ? up.  If that's the case I see Goldobin, Schaller and one of LE or Motte waived to be re-assigned.  I imagine it's the 3 latter as Goldobin may still have some value if only for another project that fit's the Canucks better, part of a package or a late pick. We will know shortly.

16 forwards under contract + Gaudette = 17 - Roussel = 16 - Gaudtte = 15 - Schaller = 14

Roussel on LTIR

Schaller on waivers

Biega on waivers

Gaudette sent down for seasoning

Carry 14 forwards

7 Dmen

2 goalies

Done, bing bang boom!

It is what is happening!

35 minutes ago, the grinder said:

tanev might fetch a  nice piece at the deadline  and we cant afford tanev next year ,  so we need to get something  out of him

How much does Tanev get on the open market?  Maybe we trade him at the TDL and then resign him in the summer for 3 mil. 

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

16 forwards under contract + Gaudette = 17 - Roussel = 16 - Gaudtte = 15 - Schaller = 14

Roussel on LTIR

Schaller on waivers

Biega on waivers

Gaudette sent down for seasoning

Carry 14 forwards

7 Dmen

2 goalies

Done, bing bang boom!

It is what is happening!

I think your probably correct as much as I like gaudette. Scary thing is Benning really is shopping some guys. I'd hate to see any trades right now. I mean we finally have real quality nhl players as depth. I'd hate to see trades happen then injuys come. Not the end of the world if we gave some high end nhl talent in Utica.

Like the say.... every team looks at its healthy roster in september and thinks it's a playoff team..... come January.... rosters no longer look the same.

If the next guy on your depth chart is little Joey from Idaho means league . Your in trouble lol.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

LE and Schaller to Utica.

JV for Risto.

Goldy is taken off waivers 

Baer is on our third line

Gaud is in Utica

I like your ideas but Risto would require more then JV. I  would love Gaudette to stick around but I understand that may not be possible unless Sutter is moved.

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No way Buffalo trades Risto for JV. 

We don't have cap space and they wouldn't take Eriksson or Sutter included.  

Gaud will not go to Utica. They'll send Motte down before him. 

Hitting the scotch early Alf? 

What if we send LE to Utica and no one claims him and he decides to retire, that would give us cap relief maybe enough to make a deal for Risto. I know its a long shot but doable I would love to move Sutter some how some way to make room for Gaudette and also give us cap space

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Tanev goes no where, and likely gets an extension.  Isn’t he the perfect partner for Quinn?  We trade Chis and we might spend years trying to replace him.  

I think if Tanev has a good season without injuries he's moved at TDL because OJ will be ready by then. Love Tanev and what he's done for our team but his time is up for him and we need to move on and get younger and more durable

4 hours ago, the grinder said:

I don't know if its about what we can afford but we certainly have others in the pipeline close to being ready so someone has to go and Tanev like you said if he stays healthy is a TDL chip

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

LE, Schaller and Motte waived. Leaning toward Goldy rather than Motte.... Goldy is 22 years old and has potential....just frustrating to see him think then move, rather than thinking and moving at the same time (when the other team has the puck). Because of this, it looks like he is always waiting and coasting out there.

Goldy turns 24 Oct 7th.  He is getting to that stage where you just part ways. He might be a NHLer, but almost surely not on this team.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

LE, Schaller and Motte waived. Leaning toward Goldy rather than Motte.... Goldy is 22 years old and has potential....just frustrating to see him think then move, rather than thinking and moving at the same time (when the other team has the puck). Because of this, it looks like he is always waiting and coasting out there.

And Goldobin has a relatively new contract.  Only one-year contract, true, but that still shows current interest.  Unlike Schaller and obviously LE.

I think he either makes the team or they sneak him through waivers at the trickiest moment (this Friday at closing hours?)  In a way, they can't miss with Goldobin: if he shows well in training camp (and he has been better than last year) they keep him, if he shows poorly in training camp, no one else will pick him up.

I personally think that LE, Schaller, Motte and even Leivo have more to worry about than Goldobin.

18 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This is simply the fact that the team is "trimming the fat" and these players are nearing their last chances at becoming regular NHLers. For Goldy and Virt, surprisingly they are in their 5th seasons in the NHL. With the new found depth, these fringe players can longer just say they are "developing" still, and Baert is going into his 9th season in the NHL!

Sooner or later it will be time to "put up or shut up". Virt has got to play like a big guy, otherwise he is of no use.

The top 6 looks pretty much set and the bottom 6 is quickly getting filled. Management has said that training camp was going to be for guys fighting for jobs as it should be, the cream rises to the top.

I haven't seen too much urgency or intensity out of these players at training camp so maybe they just thought their jobs were safe. With guys like Gaudette, slowly creeping their way into the line up, some of these guys become expendable and replaceable at a cheaper cost.

Virtanen is not going anywhere, unless there is an especially good offer.

Virtanen had a breakthrough year last year, as did Hutton (not that it helped him lol.)

Virtanen had more goals than the likes of Eriksson and Beagle combined.  Goals matter.  And he scored these at odd times, not on pp situations.  He is still learning his game.  I suspect he would be good with players like Ferland and Miller.  And Sutter for that matter, if anyone can remember what Sutter plays like.

Nobody "expects" anything much from Leivo and Motte or even Baertschi -- they weren't early 1 round picks made by the Canucks.  If we forget how the players came to the Canucks, I don't think there is any doubt that Virtanen is worth a lot more than Leivo, Motte, Schaller, Eriksson, even Sutter and Beagle.  That spot he was selected in during the draft still haunts him.  Always will with the fans.

P.S.: that public scolding Virtanen received at the start of the camp is a sign they want him and expect more from him in the future.  A good sign.  He looks fit enough out there in training camp, so they must have high standards for him.  Do you think anyone cares about conditioning goals for Eriksson and Schaller? 

Edited by gameburn
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

What if we send LE to Utica and no one claims him and he decides to retire, that would give us cap relief maybe enough to make a deal for Risto. I know its a long shot but doable I would love to move Sutter some how some way to make room for Gaudette and also give us cap space

We've all been fantasizing about that for a while.  A couple of Swedes have recently "retired" after being sent down. Can you imagine Loui in Utica for 3 full seasons?  Lol.   Talk about doing it for the money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

We've all been fantasizing about that for a while.  A couple of Swedes have recently "retired" after being sent down. Can you imagine Loui in Utica for 3 full seasons?  Lol.   Talk about doing it for the money. 

I would bet he would never do it and I would also bet on JB making that move. Just wait and see how many times LE sits in the press box before JB gets the message from TG.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

I would bet he would never do it and I would also bet on JB making that move. Just wait and see how many times LE sits in the press box before JB gets the message from TG.

You see the effort by guys like Gaudette and you have to wonder how long Loui can make any case at all for himself.  He can't possibly fit in the top 9 with the way the team is built now... and bottom 3?  With Beagle? lol.  Motte as a winger?  

I just think the game has changed a bit; and this team is built entirely different now.  What really strikes me is the way the top 3 lines can all motor and all forecheck when they want.  No longer the Sedins' team.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gameburn said:

You see the effort by guys like Gaudette and you have to wonder how long Loui can make any case at all for himself.  He can't possibly fit in the top 9 with the way the team is built now... and bottom 3?  With Beagle? lol.  Motte as a winger?  

I just think the game has changed a bit; and this team is built entirely different now.  What really strikes me is the way the top 3 lines can all motor and all forecheck when they want.  No longer the Sedins' team.  

Excellent observation, time is ticking for LE

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Excellent observation, time is ticking for LE

Age matters.  Sports is cruel that way.  If LE were 23, he'd be an upgrade on the Granlund, all around type.  But with the new emphasis on speed and a sort of shared play style, he doesn't fit anymore.  I keep remembering how Carolina absolutely schooled us last year.  Team speed and a consistency: they might have been the best team we saw last year.  I think the Canucks want a team that is more like that.

• Upvote 1