The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As to the bolded.  Is it?

As for your statement of all Canadian oil is refined in Alberta.  Is it?

Just a suggestion.  Start looking at Canada as more than some of Sask, Alberta and BC

Yea it's more then oil but the spread sheets you like don't show that and cause oil makes so much money it's almost impossible to off set that much lost.....

enbridge in cromer Manitoba has a refinery but it's small compared to the ones up north.....also they still ship to Alberta. 

You realize almost every pipeline flows to Alberta ha

i do look at Canada as a whole, I've tried to have conversations with you on how to better the relationship but that would go against what your preaching ha

what does the other provinces produce? B.c , A.B , s.k and Manitoba could be stronger then Canada ever was and thx to the thinking of b.c we would invest more into other forms of fuel and b.c is already trying to lead the way but oil is an evil we need at the moment.....sad but true but there's only a short window before fossil fuel becomes a thing of the past and we should be trying to make as much as we can. 

We can ship other things throw the pipeline , once oil dies out.....

hippie I get you point but until we can off set the money we make with oil we need to put oil first to a degree until something better comes along. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

This is sounding pretty desperate. When AB leaves along with other constituencies in the West the borders will be as is and airspace will conform to international standards. The ROC will have no claims inside those borders just as AB will have no claim to the urinals on Parliament Hill.

So if the Feds appropriated lands north of Edmonton (aka Cold Lake) and south close to the US border,  wouldn't that constitute as Canada airspace?  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're very right.  But as seen.  Trump has relaxed and loosened rules regarding where exploration can occur.  Utah is now slated to be the new home of various mines and potential well sites.As there are so many new mobile sites since the boom of energy in the last decade it is far more cost effective to uproot camps.  I think the US still has a decade or more to go before they exhaust areas if nothing changes.

The issue is though that changing technology is taking large percentage bites from the automotive industry for oil.  3% here 6% there.  it took 30 years after the first car before the true death of the horse and buggy occurred.  I'm not ignorant enough to believe oil production will ever end.  We need plastics, polymers etc.  A long term drop of this nature is not possible.  But increased storage has happened, new sites have opened up and OPEC has been seen to lose its power.  For me the biggest telling factor was the Iranian issue recently.  Oil prices didn't budge much at all.  A threat of the closing of Hormuz didn't do much.

Then, as you've stated here and in the recession thread (actually enjoying the civility in there) the credit crisis is peaking and will in fact happen soon.  What happens when the western world can no longer to afford to travel or consume?  I don't see the large downturn of Corono continuing but I also don't expect to see prices rise to what Alberta needs any time soon.  That is not the fault of any national government but strictly market forces as it has been by and large for years

Prior to current situation world oil consumption was about 102 million boy per day. The decline rate was about 1.5% but that has a market component over and above the physical decline. The oil industry has suffered from a chronic lack of capital investment since 2015. This will lead to an accelerated depletion rate. I have to think the Saudis and Russians are going thru a fight over respective takes but they will reconcile. The biggest deal in the market is the Saudiis selling a big chunk of Aramco. It makes the industry more market driven. 

I am told Old the oil sands plants can run at $25 oil. Their capital has been spent. SU and CVE are highly FCF positive. USA shale ops are highly leveraged and have shown a faster decline rate than anticipated. AB has low decline rates, established oil infrastructure and diversification into poly. It is an industry with a future. Anyone who thinks AB cannot ride oil to independence is not recognizing reality. 

Another aspect to this whole independence thing is the broadening appeal to businesses not just inside th3 oil sector but across the board. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think your over looking that fact that all Canadian oil is refined in Alberta and also slaughter houses and the fact that a lot of b.c beef goes to Alberta to be sold or butchered......on the coast losing Alberta wouldn't matter but for towns along the boarder it would hurt the most. 

Alberta is more then oil.....

I think if Alberta leaves it will do more damage to the image or relationships with investors cause it makes Canada look like chaos.......

think bigger picture like you told RS.....

It's absolutely pointless why do they care they go on about how much they hate Alberta how racist it is how dirty it is and just how they hate it in general so why do they care? All I can think of is the loss of the money and having to pay a 12% GST

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

So if the Feds appropriated lands north of Edmonton (aka Cold Lake) and south close to the US border,  wouldn't that constitute as Canada airspace?  

Obviously a base would being moved or closed and in fact the Liberals are good at closing military bases

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's absolutely pointless why do they care they go on about how much they hate Alberta how racist it is how dirty it is and just how they hate it in general so why do they care? All I can think of is the loss of the money and having to pay a 12% GST

They care cause they know what oil money can do ha 

but hey not much a cowboy can tell a college grad ha or a photographer ha

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

The only significant refinery outside of AB is in Halifax. Th3 rest are specialty and minor to overall demand. 

All he had to do was Google that to find out but now he wanted to post a silly picture. It's all right though they can import oil from the United States

Edited by Ryan Strome

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

All he had to do was Google that to find out but now he wanted to post a silly picture. It's all right though they can import oil from the United States

I would prefer to see my province purchase oil ( from more environental sources )  from our southern friends.... than deal with the  Albertan / China  Cartel  and their toxic bitumen sludge from the province next door province to mine.

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Obviously a base would being moved or closed and in fact the Liberals are good at closing military bases

No.  Cold Lake will remain.  As that is a strategic position.  It serves as a base for up north to artic regions.  Passage way from west coast to east coast. 

The Federal government would not bend over backwards to change Department of National Defence operations to satisfy AB wishes.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would prefer to see my province purchase oil ( from more environental sources )  from our southern friends.... than deal with the  Albertan / China  Cartel  and their toxic bitumen sludge from the province next door province to mine.

I said just that that you can purchase it from the United States. The issue you would have is that the most environmentally friendly oil in the world is in Alberta so it's funny you just made the claim you just made. Oh and by the way considering we would be shipping our oil to the United States how do you know you wouldn't be getting Alberta oil back?

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

No.  Cold Lake will remain.  As that is a strategic position.  It serves as a base for up north to artic regions.  Passage way from west coast to east coast. 

The Federal government would not bend over backwards to change Department of National Defence operations to satisfy AB wishes.

Again you saying that in such absolutes is ridiculous neither one of us can say one way or the other that would be decided in the courts. It is funny you make this argument though because this is exactly why Russia took Crimea yet it's funny everybody blamed Russia they didn't say well they had to do it cuz it was strategic for them

Edited by Ryan Strome

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I said just that that you can purchase it from the United States. The issue you would have is that the most environmentally friendly oil in the world is in Alberta so it's funny you just made the claim you just made. Oh and by the way considering we would be shipping our oil to the United States how do you know you wouldn't be getting Alberta oil back?

Again you saying that in such absolutes is ridiculous neither one of us can say one way or the other that would be decided in the courts. It is funny you make this argument though because this is exactly why Russia took Crimea yet it's funny everybody blamed Russia they didn't say well they had to do it cuz it was strategic for them

I highly doubt DND will let go of their bases that they think are important to them.  But whatever.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I highly doubt DND will let go of their bases that they think are important to them.  But whatever.

Well it would be ironic then wouldn't it because Canada was one of the loudest when Russia took Crimea why did Russia take Crimea oh yeah it's got a very strategic Naval Base I wonder what Russia will say at the United Nations if Canada were to say they're keeping bases in Alberta