The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who else is DONE with Jakes 3 year tryout - Read just the title and leave a downvote edition

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

It’s a “Blow some JV steam” thread...a lot of us fans have been both patient and frustrated on that pick - he’s one of the original JB next core picks and hasn’t made it easy on us.   Not showing up in camp this year in the type of shape Green wanted - and after two guys were signed to play in the top 1-9 ... you’d think he’d train his heart out.   Of course that’s only a small thing in a long string of small thinks that haven’t gone right with him.   Despite all this he’s still a fan favourite (watching him play can be a real treat at times) and is exactly at the right age to either break out or not. 

So far he looks great with Bo - that line has been hard to contain.  Look forward to seeing what else he has in store for us .... could it be this is the real version of JB we’ve all been waiting for?!

Green didn’t say he was out of shape. 
Vancouver media and fans spun that out of a couple loose comments.  
Jake has been playing solid pretty much since the start of the season.   Did he get in game shape in the 2-3 days between end of camp and season start??  Seems pretty unrealistic.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TNucks1 said:

meh, peteys never been into celebrating big after a goal, even last year he didnt do it that often.

Yep, he's all business.

Did catch a smile from him after Brock scored and they were on the bench.

He's ultra focused and even after the game, when the guys are all whooping it up as they head into the room, he seems like he's still percolating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Not calling you out, just using your post to provide context to mine.

Although EP has 14 points, which I'm loving.... I am concerned that he's not smiling... when he scores, or gets a couple assists, there is no emotion whatsoever in his reactions. I feel like something is missing for him. I don't know if it's the coach, his linemates or something. Almost looks disappointed when he gets results. Is it me? Or are other people noticing this?

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep, he's all business.

Did catch a smile from him after Brock scored and they were on the bench.

He's ultra focused and even after the game, when the guys are all whooping it up as they head into the room, he seems like he's still percolating.

Petey has made it crystal clear since day one, both on and off the ice that he's simply the type that's never satisfied with himself. He's just a calm guy with a cool demeanor. He's expecting so much from himself on every play that you see him frustrated on a missed pass, missed shot. I'll take that drive in a 20-year rookie gem any day. He said clearly in his interview after Florida game and i quote: 'I'm very happy with my performance and with how we played. Having all four lines contribute tonight was great. We worked hard and won; winning is the best thing.' -- i rest my case.

Ferland needs some time to adjust to a new team/system and recover from a lack of training in the offseason due to injuries. He'll come around and is a known quantity.

JV clearly loves playing with Bo and respects the cap a ton. Can't remember the details but there was an interview before the Caps game where he put Bo on a pedestal and gloated about how he loved playing with Bo.

Let this young team gel.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, blackpluto96 said:

Petey has made it crystal clear since day one, both on and off the ice that he's simply the type that's never satisfied with himself. He's just a calm guy with a cool demeanor. He's expecting so much from himself on every play that you see him frustrated on a missed pass, missed shot. I'll take that drive in a 20-year rookie gem any day. He said clearly in his interview after Florida game and i quote: 'I'm very happy with my performance and with how we played. Having all four lines contribute tonight was great. We worked hard and won; winning is the best thing.' -- i rest my case.

Ferland needs some time to adjust to a new team/system and recover from a lack of training in the offseason due to injuries. He'll come around and is a known quantity.

JV clearly loves playing with Bo and respects the cap a ton. Can't remember the details but there was an interview before the Caps game where he put Bo on a pedestal and gloated about how he loved playing with Bo.

Let this young team gel.

i agree with that all, but ferland played great that game. 2pts.

Edited by TNucks1

On 10/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Who thought Ferland would play every game like the flames - nucks playoff series?

Absolutely nobody. If you expected this your expectations are way too high

Can you even name one player in the league rn, that plays the way Ferland played throughout that series every game?

Edited by J-23

On 10/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Who thought Ferland would play every game like the flames - nucks playoff series? 

It’s something that he has in his toolbox, and he will grab that tool when needed.

He has hands, and he can tuck a few as we’ve seen. But he has had EVERY opportunity to do so.

He hasn’t been whipped around a third fourth or scratch pairing constantly like our hometown boy Jake. Maybe he has &^@# idk. 

JV has earned his spot as a PF on this roster. FFS STOP MIND&^@#ING BO, give him another consistent line mate as well.

Jake has nights where he looks like a scorer, where he looks like a hitter, and when he looks like a defender. 

I will bet my NUTS that this “tamed” (defensive / stick checking ) Jake is based on what he’s asked to do, which is OK. But why ask him to do something he wasn’t drafted for? When he hits / is hard on the puck, and shoots, he is effective. Why change or coach him out of that? 

I’m sure Petey has almost had enough of being over coached and his creativity being under utilized. 

Im torn. We are doing great, but I know these little things do matter. 

Anybody EDUCATED knows what Ferland is bringing to the team.

Everyone else can YouTube the Matthews headshot from a few days ago.

Jake is the same as we know but hasn’t gotten the lengthy looks with top guys.

Thanks for reading everyone and to those who did, how many points could JV put up alongside Pettersson? 

Note: I do not want a line up change, this is a question, projection of where JV could be based on the opportunities that Ferland got.

Note 2: That’s not a knock on Ferland I love that guy too. 

Cheers.

What just happened there?!!!